Insurers demanding license images for all named drivers. What is this new bull****?

Jono

I mean that about sums it up.

Is this a widespread new thing, or do I need to ditch my broker to avoid this fresh *******s every year? 

Sending license details via unencrypted emails is plain sucky and having to do it at all is a right pain in the ass.

Interesting that they have waited the best part of a month to get in touch. I was lazy and busy at renewal time and If I'd know this inconvenience was coming I might have looked harder elsewhere!

Sounds like a great idea. 

If people are in an accident they can take the picture of the other driver and vice versa. 

No use for the insurer if there are identical twins in the family and only one is a named driver.

A delivery driver @ Edinburgh Airport taking a car from the Auction to the Transporter that crashed into me did not know his name or nationality and had to call someone that was the supervisor to give me false information. 

They were not happy at me taking their photos.   

Pity the Insurance Company they were with was the one that owned my insurer. 

They were stuffed when via facebook pics and my pics i showed them the person driving the car was not the one that was said to be in the accident.

So it was no longer knock for knock,  or my fault, it was settled quickly at no loss to me. 

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

Be no good for me as I don't have a photo licence. Are they asking for a copy of the licence or just access to the information.

You can get a code from the DVLA so they can check the details. If any ask me to send a copy of the licence i would just go elsewhere as they don't need to see it.

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

• Like 1

I much prefer the system in my country, its the car that is insured and not the owner/driver, anyone holding a valid driving license is insured to drive it anywhere although the excess is increased if a young and inexperienced driver has an accident in it.

It also means that if you insure several vehicles and have an accident in one of them, or someone you lend it to does then you only lose or have a reduction to your No Claims Bonus for that vehicle only.

So at a roadside check, rare as they are these days, one glance at the windscreen vignette(s) will tell the officer that the vehicle is insured and tested, all the driver has to do is to produce his license and unless there is any suspicion of the vehicle being stolen (or him being under the influence of drink or drugs) then all is good.

I have never even been asked for my license.

Not been asked for a licence image but have been asked for a licence number.  Given the info was not mandatory I declined...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry for coming to this a bit late but I only saw this thread just now. Last December I insured my car with Marshmallow and had to do an ID check which needed me to upload a photo of my licence and a selfie. Never had to do anything like this before. PITA as it took several attempts to get the selfie to match my licence photo.

https://www.marshmallow.com/article/why-do-i-have-to-do-an-id-check