1.2 TSI Sudden knocking noise!

8 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Very good condition and well kept, from the days when such things were given with new cars - annoying and a lot less useful in the ether stuff now.

So how are you now getting along with the car/combi/touring/shooting back, any knocking noises (ours makes lots of strange and very internment noises from the engine bay)?

The Italian tune up from London to Hereford and back did make it a lot quieter and no more 2 second Rattle from the chain in a morning. Maybe it did clear some carbon build up. Who knows!

Great stuff, now you have it cleaner it's just a matter of keeping it that way.  An occasion Italian tune-up is good for car and driver but these are 1.2 litre engines with a turbo so best done unloaded with just driver aboard as you don't want to overstress these engines (now someone will prove me wrong by saying they drive them pedal to floor all the time).  If you're doing a lot of short journeys plenty of timely regular servicing and maintenance and perhaps the now and again use of a petrol with additional cleaner package (that'll upset some).

And of course get used to the cleaner oil colouring of the petrol engine against the filthy diesel engine and its oil, but remember that carbon has to go somewhere it if not sitting on internal engine parts. 🤣

35 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Great stuff, now you have it cleaner it's just a matter of keeping it that way.  An occasion Italian tune-up is good for car and driver but these are 1.2 litre engines with a turbo so best done unloaded with just driver aboard as you don't want to overstress these engines (now someone will prove me wrong by saying they drive them pedal to floor all the time).  If you're doing a lot of short journeys plenty of timely regular servicing and maintenance and perhaps the now and again use of a petrol with additional cleaner package (that'll upset some).

And of course get used to the cleaner oil colouring of the petrol engine against the filthy diesel engine and its oil, but remember that carbon has to go somewhere it if not sitting on internal engine parts. 🤣

Not sure if I posted this but this is what the oil looks like at the moment 

DE985F20-1E3F-48CC-85DE-1A9C0E0C83FA.jpeg

Fascinating, confirming the appearance of clean car engine oil on white tissue paper.

If you've just blown your nose then see a doctor, if you've just wiped the dipstick then please close the bonnet and drive the car some more before checking the level again.

Thank you.

• Like 1

ETA: I'd just finished typing my post when I saw sepulchrave had posted his, so I had a look and not too surprising we have different views and in more than one meaning.  😄

Well the carbon had to go somewhere.  🤣

To me in that photo the oil does look  to have dirt unless it's my eyes or the photo there appears to be smeared lines of black.  The colour of the oil itself can only be compared with the same oil fresh out of the can on that tissue.  How clean or not was the dipstick  before you wiped it on the tissue?

If previously the servicing (and that not just engine oil changes) wasn't done in a timely manner then after 9 years muck will build up, hence my consideration of perhaps using cleaning flushes on an engine you don't the know the history of (unless the engine has such high mileage you worry that it's only the muck preventing it leaking more).

In the background your engine doesn't look bad but it's certainly not, for a while at least, been kept by a concours fanatic.

Edited by nta16

On blowing the photo up it does look more like a dirty dipstick (you dirty devil).

Keep the photo and compare it to a photo of the same in a month's time.

If you'd put clean oil on that tissue and it was much, much lighter then that might have shown there was muck for the oil to catch so was doing it's job.  Unless the oil looks really dirty on subsequent oil level checks I'd not worry but I'd change the oil and filter 6 months from when you last did it - plus it puts the servicing at a time of better weather.

(forgot the blow up)

dipstickwipe.jpeg

Edited by nta16

29 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Fascinating, confirming the appearance of clean car engine oil on white tissue paper.

If you've just blown your nose then see a doctor, if you've just wiped the dipstick then please close the bonnet and drive the car some more before checking the level again.

Thank you.

I'm used to a diesel engine oil making a white tissue pure black 🤣 this is pristine to me lol. Is it that bad??

7 minutes ago, nta16 said:

On blowing the photo up it does look more like a dirty dipstick (you dirty devil).

Keep the photo and compare it to a photo of the same in a month's time.

If you'd put clean oil on that tissue and it was much, much lighter then that might have shown there was muck for the oil to catch so was doing it's job.  Unless the oil looks really dirty on subsequent oil level checks I'd not worry but I'd change the oil and filter 6 months from when you last did it - plus it puts the servicing at a time of better weather.

(forgot the blow up)

dipstickwipe.jpeg

You're right. And I had been using that tissue to wipe my hands before too 🤣 will check again 

1 hour ago, Meridion said:

You're right. And I had been using that tissue to wipe my hands before too 🤣 will check again 

Yeah well you're too used to the absolute filth of a dirty diesel and there's possibly not only cross contamination from the dipstick or engine but also your hands, I think the Met would be looking to employ you for some of their cases.