High mileage?

Hello,

I'm about to buy a Superb 280 4x4 which was registered in 2018. The mileage is just shy of 50k and I'm wondering if this is high or whether it is just getting going? I would assume it has done a lot of motorway miles as I think the mileage is above average but with this engine, would you have any concerns? 

Cheers

Welcome to the forum.

Best assume nothing and try to find out what use it did get, was it long runs of short ones working many hours.

Did it start as a Dealership Demonstrator / Sales Managers perk?

Look at the Service History but also any Warranty History on the Skoda System. 

Is the windscreen clear of chips.  Is the paintwork original with chips repaired or more paintwork to the front / bonnet?

Are the 4 tyres good, the brakes maybe replacements by now, even the battery already replaced.

So the servicing @ 50,000 miles but only 50,000 miles should mean that at least 2 oil and filter services were done, or was it on fixed interval services?

The Haldex has been serviced at least once but even twice by now and the DSG oil change done at 40,000 miles or sooner.

If it has a FMDSH that should be a history showing stuff as done to the Manufacturers Recommendations but might well show them as not having been done.

Edited by roottoot
  • Thanks 1

280 is a chain engine so no timing belt to worry about. 50k miles is alright although I'd want to see if the gearbox and haldex has been serviced in addition to min 2x oil and filter service. 

If not done, it would be due a brake fluid change too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought a 17 Plate 280 on just short of 50k miles a year ago. No problems yet, doesn't seem to burn any oil and still goes like the clappers. 

Main dealer history is no guarantee things should have been done as they should. Mine had 2 DSG oil changes and no record of Haldex but the filter was cleanish when I had it done so who knows if it had been done or not. 

I only do 6k a year so will be low mileage in a couple of years. It was much cheaper than any others about at the time due to the slightly higher miles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi , I wanted to ask about high millage Skoda as well , I found one Skoda superb 2.0tdi technology 2016 with millage 120k , is in worth checking it out or the millage is too high ? Relaying on the car description, there was  1 owner from new , service done every 15/20k and water pump and cam belt done at 116k 

22 hours ago, Gogul95 said:

Hi , I wanted to ask about high millage Skoda as well , I found one Skoda superb 2.0tdi technology 2016 with millage 120k , is in worth checking it out or the millage is too high ? Relaying on the car description, there was  1 owner from new , service done every 15/20k and water pump and cam belt done at 116k 

I bought a mk3 L&K 138k miles 2017, 2l diesel,DSG as long as it has full service history paperwork, if its DSG the oil is regularly changed you should be ok, the water pump & belt change has saved you around £500 already. Provided you continue to get service done regularly these older diesels are good for over 500k miles.

I would strongly recommend you test drive the car for at least 30 min, again if its DSG, if you feel ANY gearchange then it will be a new clutch in the near future ( had to do mine 😞 )

Okay , thank you very much , this one Is manual but I will be willing to test drive on all

of the gears to be sure everything it’s in working order and of course will pay attention to service being done with correct intervals 😉

Thank you all very much for your advice. I am gonna buy it as the history looks competent and thorough. Its also the Sportline so lots of cheeky extras which are a bonus and a decent buy higher spec than my current Vrs 245 which has been awesome. Looking forward to getting in it for a blast. 

Much thanks. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello, i am looking to buy a Skoda Superb 2012, but i'm unsure of the milage. The car currently has 160k miles. It has had its timing belt done at 140k i believe and the car was recently fully serviced at 160k miles. But I am still unsure of whether or not i want the car because of the high miles, Any advice? 

14 hours ago, Cian_Doyle said:

Hello, i am looking to buy a Skoda Superb 2012,

Not sure which model you're looking at but my 1.6tdi is, as of this morning, 9 miles short of 150k. Bought it nearly 3 years ago with 80k on the clock. Still running very sweetly.

All standard servicing carried out as required, cam belt & pump changed @ 80K. DSG DQ200 could do with a new clutch pack though. 

• 9 months later...

Looking at a few Superb options and one of them is a MY2019 2.0 TDI with 120k miles. This one is a little more than what I was hoping to spend but if I can get it to 200k miles without a ton of problems I'll consider it money well spent

I know to check for DSG servicing every 40k. Anything else to ask about? Does the 2019 2.0 TDI need a cam belt change?

Regarding mileage.  I've got a 2011 2.0 TDI 170bhp DSG VW CC with 260k miles on it.  Had it 8 years.  Routine service and DSG service keeps her going.  Things changed/fixed:  Front wheel bearings, discs, pads, tyres, couple of bushes Dual Mass Fly Wheel.  So nothing out of the norm for routine wear and tear and it never misses a beat.

My 2017 2.0 TDI 190BHP DSG superb has 400k Km on it.  Had it 3 years.  Things changed fairly much the same as the VW CC,

As others have mentioned.  Routine servicing including DSG and they will do very large miles.  I've read of some 2.0 TDIs hitting 500k miles.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MunsterScot said:

Regarding mileage.  I've got a 2011 2.0 TDI 170bhp DSG VW CC with 260k miles on it.  Had it 8 years.  Routine service and DSG service keeps her going.  Things changed/fixed:  Front wheel bearings, discs, pads, tyres, couple of bushes Dual Mass Fly Wheel.  So nothing out of the norm for routine wear and tear and it never misses a beat.

My 2017 2.0 TDI 190BHP DSG superb has 400k Km on it.  Had it 3 years.  Things changed fairly much the same as the VW CC,

As others have mentioned.  Routine servicing including DSG and they will do very large miles.  I've read of some 2.0 TDIs hitting 500k miles.   

This is amazing to hear. Makes me feel a bit less nervous about buying a Superb with 120k+ miles on it as long as I can find one serviced well. That has been a challenge so far. I mentioned previously I was looking at a 2019 2.0 TDI with 120k miles. Discovered it has never had a DSG service! Shocking.

2 hours ago, laurusbaurus said:

This is amazing to hear. Makes me feel a bit less nervous about buying a Superb with 120k+ miles on it as long as I can find one serviced well

Just got my first Skoda a few months ago after my RX8 sadly died (and stranded me 100 miles from home- on Christmas 🤦‍♀️) - 2017 superb with 198k on it.

i didn’t bat an eyelid as before the RX I’ve pretty much always run Peugeots with diesel lumps… therefore I consider an oil and filter change a full service, but do it every 6k religiously, routinely had 250 to 300k no hassle, got one to just under the half million mark. And then the steering rack went engine still kosher 😂

I’m very glad to see that I can expect similar with this beast!! 

Poor thing desperately needs a full drain and fresh fill of oil… dipped it once and the end of the stick was covered in pure evil 🫣😳

I’m shouldn’t say what I paid for it. As you’ll hate me😂 pure serendipity my brother had a colleague who’d pranged this slightly and then not sorted it or touched it in months… and his lady had enough of it sat there so he needed it gone…

got it for a monkey and a case of cheap red wine. Put a day or two labour and about £700 in parts into it and it’s golden. Never had a bargain like it in my life!

• Like 2