Extreme alloy’s

On the Octavia MK3, the 19" rims use 225/35R19 tyres. Due to the super low sidewall height, they are very prone to buckling and other rim damage. Best to get them checked before handing over any cash. It's not unusual for 3 out of a set of 4 to be damaged.

Make sure you have good breakdown insurance. A big pothole can easily take out both left wheels resulting in a big problem if you only have one spare wheel.

• Like 1

You can up the width to 235 35 R19 to get a bit more edge protection.

In fairness mine have been on potholes and never yet buckled (famous last words). I use Goodyear Asy 5 and haven't had any tyre wall issues. Some tyres are softer walled and they can cause issues with either damage to the wall itself or lead to the wall squashing so much the pothole bangs against the edge of the rim. You would be better of buying new. That way you know they will be fine. Or buy used but get them professionally checked if you were going to refurbish them anyway.

I’ve got 19” Extremes which are fitted with 45 profile tyres and the sidewalls are an inch or so deeper. I’m not sure about the look though, car sits higher and the speedo under-reads by 7mph. 

1 hour ago, steelyboy said:

I’ve got 19” Extremes which are fitted with 45 profile tyres and the sidewalls are an inch or so deeper. I’m not sure about the look though, car sits higher and the speedo under-reads by 7mph. 

Any photos of the car? Also, what's the ride like?

Photos attached. Ride is “ok” but that’s a bit subjective obviously. Not really sure what it would be like on18” wheels. The tyres are Nexen which don’t seem to be widely available and I’m thinking it might be improved by eg Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, which transformed my BMW 325i coupe (previously run flats)

478619CF-671C-43EF-B4D4-36B5A5A33EE2.jpeg

884B383C-7E89-481F-85CC-BE58CD0658F6.jpeg

83508C3E-D502-422A-AA1B-62B51F42ABA9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for posting the photos, I quite like the look! I suppose I meant the ride in comparison to the 35s if you ever had them... But you're right it is subjective.

What's the tyre width? Any scrubbing? Apologies for all the questions.

23 hours ago, steelyboy said:

Photos attached. Ride is “ok” but that’s a bit subjective obviously. Not really sure what it would be like on18” wheels. The tyres are Nexen which don’t seem to be widely available and I’m thinking it might be improved by eg Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, which transformed my BMW 325i coupe (previously run flats)

478619CF-671C-43EF-B4D4-36B5A5A33EE2.jpeg

884B383C-7E89-481F-85CC-BE58CD0658F6.jpeg

83508C3E-D502-422A-AA1B-62B51F42ABA9.jpeg

225/45R19 is extreme on the Octavia MK3.

That's a bigger outside diameter than Superb MK3 tyres.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

Don't forget the loud tyre noise, higher replacement cost and worse ride as well :biggrin:

I didn't have DCC which would improve rode but all the drawbacks on the end outweighed the fact car looks so much better on 19's to me. I never liked the design of 18's and look lost on arches. Go for it 👍

17 hours ago, Swirly182 said:

Thanks for posting the photos, I quite like the look! I suppose I meant the ride in comparison to the 35s if you ever had them... But you're right it is subjective.

What's the tyre width? Any scrubbing? Apologies for all the questions.

Tyres are 225/45 R19, see pic. No evidence of scrubbing, tyre depth 4.5mm front, 5.5mm rear after around 8k miles. I do like the overall look but fitting 35 profile ie OEM standard would still look good I think on the 19” wheels. 

A3D07433-2862-4DAF-8C02-2FC5DC569788.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Just showing a bit of interest/curiosity in this topic.... @Steelyboy.

Sounds like an obvious question, but out of interest what made you choose to go from 225/35/19 on an Octavia all the way up to 225/45/19?

As mentioned 235/35/19 Would have given a fairly good compromise by upping the sidewall height slightly from standard (comfort),

whilst at the same time keeping the Speedo reading as close as possible?

PS: Great looking car by the way.

Edited by GordoGT

8 minutes ago, GordoGT said:

Just showing a bit of interest/curiosity in this topic.... @Steelyboy.

Sounds like an obvious question, but out of interest what made you choose to go from 225/35/19 on an Octavia all the way up to 225/45/19?

As mentioned 235/35/19 Would have given a fairly good compromise by upping the sidewall height slightly from standard (comfort),

whilst at the same time keeping the Speedo reading as close as possible?

Good question, easy answer - just bought the car and they were fitted! I’m mulling over changing to standard 225/35 but as you suggest will probably go for 235/35 for a bit more rim protection. Best price I’ve found today is around £530 all in from Costco which is pretty good I think for Michelin PS4S (inc £100 off Michelin offer)

• Like 1

I have the xtreme alloy on my 2017 VRS 245, I've actually been looking at changing them for the vrs 18s so I can put crossclimate tyres on the car as we'll be driving out to the Alps (hopefully) this winter. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 21/11/2021 at 16:55, 7ncj said:

I have the xtreme alloy on my 2017 VRS 245, I've actually been looking at changing them for the vrs 18s so I can put crossclimate tyres on the car as we'll be driving out to the Alps (hopefully) this winter. 

I’ve now bought 4 new Gemini 18s (online from Wings Skoda..all very efficient) and had cross climate 2s fitted.  The Xtremes are therefore now on eBay.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vRS-xtreme-19-alloys-wheels-x4-tyres-Skoda-VW-group-Audi-Seat-225-35-19-/115150325041?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

17 hours ago, RoddersUK said:

I need to get my extremes refurbed. Garage sprayed them all grey, I really like the diamond cut look.

I used these guys at Woolston when I needed an alloy powder coated after a dealer did a nasty respray http://www.wheelsmartuk.co.uk/

23 hours ago, RoddersUK said:

Think Ive used them for radiators in the past.

How much they charge for wheels?

Company round the corner from where I work, £750 for diamond cut refurb

It was in 2017 when I needed one wheel refurbed so my memory might be a bit off, but IIRC they charged me £80.