Trevorb33’s Citigo Vrs 148Bhp (Up gti Conversion)

TrevorB33

Is the wiring for the mirror indicators just a case of connecting to the plug for the wing repeaters?  Does it matter that the mirror indicators are LED or is that not an issue?

When will you be doing the front brakes?  If you have the front suspension leg and brakes as a complete unit can you trial fit one of the Aurigas 15" wheels?  If it fits no problem I'll start searching for the brake parts for my car.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SimonJ said:

Is the wiring for the mirror indicators just a case of connecting to the plug for the wing repeaters?  Does it matter that the mirror indicators are LED or is that not an issue?

When will you be doing the front brakes?  If you have the front suspension leg and brakes as a complete unit can you trial fit one of the Aurigas 15" wheels?  If it fits no problem I'll start searching for the brake parts for my car.

It will be for me as I’ll be changing complete loom so mirror will plug in off the door loom, otherwise you could probably extend the wires from wing round into the door.

Made a start on rear brakes/suspension

swapped it all over as it’s nearly seven years newer.

hub/bearing, backing plate shoes etc. fitted some darkside 12mm axle spacers I brought a while back, and fitted up one side with the bilsteins and Eibach springs, test fit the wheel over the brakes it is tight but a few mm clearance from the wheel weights to caliper. I wonder if they do slimline wheel weights. It does turn without catching anywhere which is good

4032AF89-2AA0-492B-B8DF-82B99EB2EC9F.jpeg

7431B287-D1B2-4179-B100-4091E65E5F01.jpeg

EB969898-3B2C-4A27-B8C5-D8C03AE0906A.jpeg

CEFB6D8D-943A-4C1F-87A3-A26BBFFDCBC7.jpeg

EE6A2C3D-C175-4776-8763-45DE25E9DB2D.jpeg

ADE3CFA0-F181-4872-ACE3-59693447E043.jpeg

8D19E07E-E9E9-4EB2-9A51-106DADF69462.jpeg

79E648DC-D6C6-40E9-B5D2-6CFAF84FE76E.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks like the front brakes will be OK with 15" alloys.  I'll start sourcing brakes for my Elegance I think.

Are there any differences with the rear brakes or axle beam?  I'm sure I've seen somewhere a rear disc conversion using Lupo GTi parts.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SimonJ said:

Looks like the front brakes will be OK with 15" alloys.  I'll start sourcing brakes for my Elegance I think.

Are there any differences with the rear brakes or axle beam?  I'm sure I've seen somewhere a rear disc conversion using Lupo GTi parts.

there’s a company that does rear disc conversions 

https://theupgrade.haus/products/rear-disc-brake-conversion-kit

beams are the same all drums 

the only place I’ve seen you can get the fronts from are a kit on eBay. But if your not upping power plenty of decent pad/disc combos for the standard 256’s

ebay link front kit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144114379107?fits=Model%3AUP!&hash=item218de2e963:g:L10AAOSwbDthBkQK

I saw that on eBay, would have to pay VAT & duty on that price otherwise I'd probably go for it.  Was thinking maybe one of the Polos or Ibizas had the same calipers and hub carriers.

I will eventually do the GTi conversion if a complete car comes at a decent price.  If you don't mind me asking could you give me an idea what you paid for you GTi parts.

3 hours ago, SimonJ said:

I saw that on eBay, would have to pay VAT & duty on that price otherwise I'd probably go for it.  Was thinking maybe one of the Polos or Ibizas had the same calipers and hub carriers.

I will eventually do the GTi conversion if a complete car comes at a decent price.  If you don't mind me asking could you give me an idea what you paid for you GTi parts.

I just brought a whole car that was written off 

Edited by TrevorB33

Love all the modifications. I think we have a similar taste. Hehehe... 😅  Only disagree on the suspension, I would have opted for coilovers to be able to adjust the height if I want 😉

Really interested about the Up GTI engine/brakes conversion, but here in Spain it's impossible to get a wrecked Up GTI 😔  I'm thinking about a TSI... 🤔😅

Congrats and keep it up with this cool stuff. Miguel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nazwell said:

Love all the modifications. I think we have a similar taste. Hehehe... 😅  Only disagree on the suspension, I would have opted for coilovers to be able to adjust the height if I want 😉

Really interested about the Up GTI engine/brakes conversion, but here in Spain it's impossible to get a wrecked Up GTI 😔  I'm thinking about a TSI... 🤔😅

Congrats and keep it up with this cool stuff. Miguel.

Cheers, the tsi is not common over here either just got really lucky with the gti. Tsi will still be as good power wise just with the 5 speed gearbox and not 6 

• Like 1

On 04/01/2022 at 20:55, TrevorB33 said:

Cheers, the tsi is not common over here either just got really lucky with the gti. Tsi will still be as good power wise just with the 5 speed gearbox and not 6 

Yes. It's another good option too 😉

It's difficult to change the grill? I have one MonteCarlo version waiting to be installed 😅

Good read so far and ignore part of my private message lol. 

One word though I'd get the tyres changed on the UP GTI alloys, if you're using them, to 205/40/17. The other size tyres are rare and hard to come by, although I may have some if you want, and break easily in potholes. The other ones are much more hardy and are recommended via the UP GTI owners group. (I've used them and wouldn't use anything else on them). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skoda_Saint said:

Good read so far and ignore part of my private message lol. 

One word though I'd get the tyres changed on the UP GTI alloys, if you're using them, to 205/40/17. The other size tyres are rare and hard to come by, although I may have some if you want, and break easily in potholes. The other ones are much more hardy and are recommended via the UP GTI owners group. (I've used them and wouldn't use anything else on them). 

Yeah I’ve seen the tyres debates lol only had three good ones so sold them on straight away as they get good money 

• Like 1

Few little bits today,

boot struts swapped

boot seal swapped 

rear speakers fitted 

beats spare wheel sub and tool kit put in,

And the boot trim with light

obviously not wired in but when I run the new loom will all be plug and play 

F2CDB40B-02D3-4328-BEDD-59229D634885.jpeg

FC1FB1F4-54FE-42F2-A39C-7E3F0BDF1EE5.jpeg

AB54D9AC-9559-45E5-B443-C2F7313CBCB2.jpeg

9B4B5944-CB5E-4C1A-9A61-F3B370D08810.jpeg

Edited by TrevorB33
  • Like 1

On 18/01/2022 at 17:15, TrevorB33 said:

Yeah I’ve seen the tyres debates lol only had three good ones so sold them on straight away as they get good money 

LOL in that case I'll let you sell my four, 3 Good years and one no name tyre.... that's what happens when you hit a pothole in one and left marooned at the side of the road.

• Like 1

Loving the build so far!! I am curious about the beat subwoofer. I am guessing the Up! GTI had the beats amp under the seat which is how youre going to run it to the radio? 

Only reason for asking is I would be interested to know if the sub can be run without an amp via the standard radio... do you think this is possible? 

12 minutes ago, JGrindel said:

Loving the build so far!! I am curious about the beat subwoofer. I am guessing the Up! GTI had the beats amp under the seat which is how youre going to run it to the radio? 

Only reason for asking is I would be interested to know if the sub can be run without an amp via the standard radio... do you think this is possible? 

Anything’s possible yes I’ve got the under seat oem amp to power it once I change interior loom, but to get it running in another car I imagine would be a knightmare, there are plenty of powered spare wheel subs that will do a better job and be easier to fit. I’m only fitting this as it’s going to be plug and play and the small size of the citigo should be more then enough 

Made a start on sorting the door wiring looms.

the standard citigo only comes with single electric window switch and manual mirrors.

the up has the facelift mirrors with integrated indicators, electric and heated.

and the double window switch 

with a nice brushed ally handle on the trim.

Standard door

B83D64F6-88B6-44C8-A9D9-85314B1DE26F.thumb.jpeg.d383a210f485cdb88d21f3a7504d6424.jpeg

so stripped the door open to remove old loom and refit the gti looms

5030A3E7-87FA-48A5-8A7A-2C6895B81F9A.thumb.jpeg.f45668c85a8205f14d71fa23f1c935a2.jpegA606F894-D7A2-4F0A-95CD-8474E5272D55.thumb.jpeg.efdc746eaeb7d069950c54a7b2bc68da.jpeg

as you can see a much more substantial loom with loads more wires

Finished product just needs a good clean 

E3116874-D7AF-4CEA-AED9-495F6B3CC50C.thumb.jpeg.17fec7f98865fe5d7015ec86b21dae97.jpeg1ADD3195-0213-43D0-A5BC-A1EDBBF87113.thumb.jpeg.0769b2a32e586b1b4d72ab4472aa3e3b.jpegEAE1F64E-A06F-48FC-B2ED-1C7AD2F843D2.thumb.jpeg.d4df9f1bd6976aee6c35d4bf5a5fb4ec.jpeg

only had one good mirror from doner hence the blue other side. Was surprisingly hard to find an electric and heated one. I’ll change caps shortly when I find one 

Edited by TrevorB33