New replacment tyres

Stubod

15 hours ago, Expatman said:

But why buy All Season tyres if you intend to swap with Efficient Grips? I could understand if you bought Winter tyres for winter use and kept the Efficient Grips for summer. Winter tyres are superior to All Season tyres for winter use.

🤔  Because when the summer tyres are worn out, the all seasons will do all year. If winters were fitted on the other set of wheels he'd need another set of summers fitting to balance the use.

Edited by Rustynuts

4 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

🤔  Because when the summer tyres are worn out, the all seasons will do all year. If winters were fitted on the other set of wheels he'd need another set of summers fitting to balance the use.

At least somebody understands 😀

23 minutes ago, Dale_Stevens said:

At least somebody understands 😀

I can understand that but then there was this statement:

"I foresee in the future that I may have both sets running with all season tyres, using my nice alloys for summer and my other set for winter."

So if it is intended to keep both sets of wheels and rotate spring and autumn then I can’t really see why you wouldn’t have summer tyres on the “summer” wheels and winter tyres on the “winter” wheels. That way you have the best grip, stopping distance etc. in both summer and winter. The point with winter, and to an extent with All Seasons, is that they perform better at lower temperatures (<7C) than summer tyres irrespective of other road conditions.

If the All Seasons are just to tide you over until the summers are worn out then use the All Seasons all year round that’s fine - but not if you intend to retain both sets of wheels then use Summer tyres on one set and winter tyres on the other wheels - surely??

1 hour ago, Expatman said:

if you intend to retain both sets of wheels then use Summer tyres on one set and winter tyres on the other wheels - surely??

I have been lurking with interest, and I have done that for 30 years and IMO it is by far the way to go, even running several sets of Winters all year round (I never experienced any of the scare stories about them wearing out in jig time or loss of grip etc, etc.) The fact I'm now older and wheels and tyres have got much bigger and heavier, I went for "all seasons" on the Yeti this time and lost the summer/winter set up, saved some money and more importantly saved my back etc, but that's just the way I went, if Dale_Stevens wants to overlap his tyre profiles, then fair enough its his choice, don't see the benefit personally, but then again we are all different. 🙃

32 minutes ago, TruckbusUK said:

I have been lurking with interest, and I have done that for 30 years and IMO it is by far the way to go, even running several sets of Winters all year round (I never experienced any of the scare stories about them wearing out in jig time or loss of grip etc, etc.) The fact I'm now older and wheels and tyres have got much bigger and heavier, I went for "all seasons" on the Yeti this time and lost the summer/winter set up, saved some money and more importantly saved my back etc, but that's just the way I went, if Dale_Stevens wants to overlap his tyre profiles, then fair enough its his choice, don't see the benefit personally, but then again we are all different. 🙃

I've done exactly the same, used to run summers and winters changing twice a year. Now just use All Seasons all year, saves changing and in our climate All Seasons seem to be the best option.

However as you say we are all different and do whatever we feel is right for us.

If you follow tyre reviews on youtube or his website he actually runs Premium Summers in summer and All Seasons in winter.

His thoughts are that is the "Optimal" setup for 95% of the UK.

Personally I did the Summer and Winter swap for around 15 years but now find premium All Seasons have reached the level of performance that I'm happy to run with all year.

But I understand what dale is doing.

3 hours ago, Expatman said:

I can understand that but then there was this statement:

"I foresee in the future that I may have both sets running with all season tyres, using my nice alloys for summer and my other set for winter."

So if it is intended to keep both sets of wheels and rotate spring and autumn then I can’t really see why you wouldn’t have summer tyres on the “summer” wheels and winter tyres on the “winter” wheels. That way you have the best grip, stopping distance etc. in both summer and winter. The point with winter, and to an extent with All Seasons, is that they perform better at lower temperatures (<7C) than summer tyres irrespective of other road conditions.

If the All Seasons are just to tide you over until the summers are worn out then use the All Seasons all year round that’s fine - but not if you intend to retain both sets of wheels then use Summer tyres on one set and winter tyres on the other wheels - surely??

All I've done is get a second set of alloys for winter to try and keep my nice alloys looking nice, and I've put all season tyres on them. My nice alloys have perfectly good summer tyres, didn't see the point on binning those tyres whilst there is still good tread on them, so I'm making full use of them during the summer.

I don't see the need for winter tyres, all season will be good enough for my driving needs, so I predict I will eventually have both sets of wheels running all season tyres, swapping from the nice alloys to the not so nice alloys each spring/winter. 

Edited by Dale_Stevens

If you are running two sets of wheels it will give you better safety - shorter stopping distance especially - if you have summer tyres for warmer weather running i.e. Summer.

Worth checking AutoExpress tyre comparison tests.

On 26/11/2021 at 17:19, Dale_Stevens said:

All I've done is get a second set of alloys for winter to try and keep my nice alloys looking nice, and I've put all season tyres on them. My nice alloys have perfectly good summer tyres, didn't see the point on binning those tyres whilst there is still good tread on them, so I'm making full use of them during the summer.

I don't see the need for winter tyres, all season will be good enough for my driving needs, so I predict I will eventually have both sets of wheels running all season tyres, swapping from the nice alloys to the not so nice alloys each spring/winter. 

I get the logic of nice summer alloys, but if you are only going to use them in summer why put all seasons on them.

Similarly if you only have a set for use in winter, put winter tyres on them.  They are better in the winter than the all seasons

What you seem to have missed is that all season tyres cost more.   If you already have the summer wheels and tyres (and everyone does as the car comes with them) then binning the summer tyres is costly and wasteful.  If you buy the winter tyres and run each set roughly half a year, then probably near 70k miles before you need more tyres.   Especially if you choose to position them to even out wear each time you swap them.   So for many all you are doing is buying the replacement tyres up front, not at say 30k miles and again at 60k miles (or as those who don’t rotate end up doing, buy 2 tyres about every 15k miles)

A handful of salt not just a pinch is required with lots of the tyre reviews and tests published.  Since most have a car that are bothered and will know a bit of road they can drive to to test their tyres then best the do so.     It will likely be a 60 mph road and the surface might be the same year on year.  So take your car with All Weather tyres, choose the place you are going to brake from 60 mph in different road temps.  Maybe at the same spot in Summer do the test with summer tyres, or winter / snow tyres.  Do it on a warm wet day and a cold wet day.    The thing with UK Sumners is they can be wet or even cold, maybe only cold at night.  It is all a location location location thing.  What others do o to where they drive is hardly relevant in unless it is the same as you do.  Good there are free choices of what tyres each driver can fit if it is their vehicle. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1
  • Groan 1

8 minutes ago, roottoot said:

A handful of salt not just a pinch is required with lots of the tyre reviews and tests published.  Since most have a car that are bothered and will know a bit of road they can drive to to test their tyres then best the do so.     It will likely be a 60 mph road and the surface might be the same year on year.  So take your car with All Weather tyres, choose the place you are going to brake from 60 mph in different road temps.  Maybe at the same spot in Summer do the test with summer tyres, or winter / snow tyres.  Do it on a warm wet day and a cold wet day.    The thing with UK Sumners is they can be wet or even cold, maybe only cold at night.  It is all a location location location thing.  What others do o to where they drive is hardly relevant in unless it is the same as you do.  Good there are free choices of what tyres each driver can fit if it is their vehicle. 

That is one of the strangest quotes I have read, how many people have a choice of tyres to test on their car and in all the different conditions to be encountered.
The choice we make will be from watching how those tests (by experts) are made to make our choice from there.
PS: what country are you in because the grammar above does not indicate from the UK?

• Cheeky 1

@Urrell

British / European / Scottish born and bread and my grammar is  the same what ever country i will be in. 

What country are you posting from?

as there is such a thing as Head for thinking, feet for dancing. 

People here keep posting about what they have in wheels / tyres and changing them by the season.

They have the tyres that they have had on cars that are keepers, the ones the car came with, the ones people are posting that they fit in winter and then in summer, and then there are those saying they now use All Weathers.

So those that say what different tyres they have used and are using have had them for a few years / winters now.  

Then they have driven for many years or decades, surely they know what works when and where if they have still got the power of memory. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, roottoot said:

Then they have driven for many years or decades, surely they know what works when and where if they have still got the power of memory. 

I'll just pick one from there, tyres are improving every year so why take notice of a tyre that may have been good years ago.
The Michelin Cross Climate + was a good tyre that was overtaken by several tyres new this year but the Cross Climate 2 that came out a month or two ago has beaten them all and even better grip in snow than quite a few winter tyres.
PS: again I'll ask what country are you in?

Exactly.

So some of the stuff posted about summers and stopping distances is not of any concern.

The were CrossClimate, then CrossClimate + and now CrossClimate 2.  All Summer tyres that are 3 peak / winter certificated. 

As it is i have used CrossClimates on 2 vehicles and used them from they came out on other vehicles all year or sometimes fitted a more winter bias tyre.

Each time i do fit them then i try them in different conditions,  that is by driving with them.   Also trying how they behave stopping at a regular location in different weather.

No need to go out of my way, it is someplace i drive almost every day.

PS.

Scotland,  just been out about on slightly snowy but icy roads on CrossClimate SUV's, 

they are so so but nothing like as good as the Michelin Alpin 6 i now use when it is properly snow.

DSCN0409.JPG.983cc45c0a9d37840ea943b28e0f81d5.jpeg

DSCN0461.JPG.4d59f792dfe47285fb671c0c687de684.jpeg

Edited by roottoot

15 minutes ago, roottoot said:

As it is i have used CrossClimates on 2 vehicles and used them from they came out on other vehicles all year or sometimes fitted a more winter bias tyre

Have you used the Cross Climate 2 that came out a couple of months ago?

Not yet as i have only been driving others EV's that come with the rubbish ECO tyres they get fitted as standard.

They would very much benefit from having CrossClimate 2 or any All Weather  tyres fitted.

This is the 6th November last year when i had taken a run with the CrossClimate+ fitted before changing to my winter tyres to see the difference with them on the dry.

It is good to know the difference with tyres fitted, but also the difference the pressures can make, but then load carried changes that. 

DSCN5554.JPG

EDIT.

26th December 2021.

DSCN0614.JPG

DSCN0620.JPG

DSCN0621.JPG

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

I get the logic of nice summer alloys, but if you are only going to use them in summer why put all seasons on them.

Similarly if you only have a set for use in winter, put winter tyres on them.  They are better in the winter than the all seasons

What you seem to have missed is that all season tyres cost more.   If you already have the summer wheels and tyres (and everyone does as the car comes with them) then binning the summer tyres is costly and wasteful.  If you buy the winter tyres and run each set roughly half a year, then probably near 70k miles before you need more tyres.   Especially if you choose to position them to even out wear each time you swap them.   So for many all you are doing is buying the replacement tyres up front, not at say 30k miles and again at 60k miles (or as those who don’t rotate end up doing, buy 2 tyres about every 15k miles)

I've explained before, I don't want winter tyres as I don't see the need for them, our winters aren't usually that bad apart from a few days of snow like we are currently experiencing, and I've still got my summer tyres fitted and they have been perfectly fine in the snow so far.

But for my spare set of alloys that I like to fit for the winter I needed some tyres for them, and seeing as I don't want winter tyres I decided to put all season tyres on them. That way I don't have to rush to swap them over in spring, if I want to I can leave them on as long as I like. Not much more I can say on the matter to be honest. what I have suits me perfectly fine.

I have run Crossclimates on three different vehicles, and Crossclimate 2’s on one. As long as you accept a tyre that remains soft below 7 degC and dont cane it then 30,000 miles is normal. Aside from the improved braking in snowy conditions the performance of the X climates under aquaplaning conditions is very reassuring. 

The prices have crept up over the last 6/7 years from £60 corner to £140.

I also ran Kleber Quadraxers as stated above and they also performed well.

steve

Hi all and thanks for all the input ..well, I got my 4 "Toyos" all season fitted today...£400. Too early to tell, but at least they seem fairly quiet!

If I was going to keep the car I would have happily paid another £200 for the Michelin cross climates, but I will probably sell next year.

The fronts still had over 3mm left on them, (I had "switched" them around 15k miles). They were all the original tyres so probably not too bad for 6 years and 27k miles?

15 hours ago, Welshyetiman said:

Hurray for Yeti's on 16" wheels 205/55 16" £147 for 2 Michelin Cross Climate 2 fully fitted last week at Kwik Fit.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Welshyetiman said:

I changed to Cross Climates in September 2015 at 20,300 miles and a cost of £428. These were replaced with the same (probably "2") at 54,260 miles in October 2019 at a cost of £475.  So the first set did about 24,000 miles and they still had a bit of mileage left in them.  But an unrepairable puncture meant changing the front two and the discount on a set of four made it sensible to change all four together otherwise I think 30,000 miles would have been achievable, still with a safe (i.e. a margin over legal) tread. I've been very happy with them.

12 hours ago, Urrell said:

Hurray for Yeti's on 16" wheels 205/55 16" £147 for 2 Michelin Cross Climate 2 fully fitted last week at Kwik Fit.

Yep, still some of us original 16” wheelers around!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Brijo said:

.....Though weren't/aren't we 'original' UK16SBC members all on 215/60's?  Welcome to @Urrell nonetheless!

Guess so, both the Yeti’s have had 16” wheels as original equipment after getting Skoda(UK) involved at the buying stage. First bought in 2012 and present one bought in 2017 as one of the last made, SEL Drive, bought because I couldn’t find anything else that matched the Yeti in terms of cabin space, compact dimensions, drivability etc. and will average 44.5 MPG as my Yeti has done average on a brim full to brim full basis since new.

Problem is what to change to when the time comes - hybrid I guess, maybe the new Honda HR-V or similar.

• Sad 1