the truth about electric cars

310golfr

8 hours ago, Winston_Woof said:

Uhhhh?? a lower quote parked on drive than in locked garage???

😮🙄🤪

8 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Exactly, where is the logic then??

Cars have been damaged when in a garage by heavy things falling on them requiring expensive repairs, so many insurers have assessed that the risk when parked on the drive is lower than the risk when parked in a garage.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Cars have been damaged when in a garage by heavy things falling on them requiring expensive repairs, so many insurers have assessed that the risk when parked on the drive is lower than the risk when parked in a garage.

/ me waits for insurers to start asking if there are any trees within X feet of the driveway ..............................

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

10 hours ago, Winston_Woof said:

Uhhhh?? a lower quote parked on drive than in locked garage???

😮🙄🤪

Parked on a drive instead of a Garage to some companies is deemed safer because you cannot hit the garage going in and out?

https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/content/overnight-parking/

Edited by Stonekeeper
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stonekeeper said:

Parked on a drive instead of a Garage to some companies is deemed safer because you cannot hit the garage going in and out?

Easier to vandalise / steal / break into on the drive though. 

• Like 2

Parked on drive can have adverse weather claims with slates off roofs, and theft from drives is common, as is fraudulent claims from Business Owners with the Bentley and Range Rover  Rover damaged as their company fails.     I made that up, never happens.

Road parking might well be as safe from theft or tempering as a secluded driveway with Trees, and EV Chargers and the car going up and the house / garage burning down.

I made that up as well.

Be sure to have good insurance if your car goes to a Dealership built on a flood plain. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Parked on drive can have adverse weather claims with slates off roofs, and theft from drives is common

Theft from drives likelihood is IMHO postcode dependent - I've lived in south London, Surrey, Norfolk, Hampshire, Devon and Wiltshire and never has a car been stolen from the drive of any property close by in any of those places. Which I guess is a contributor to the insurers logic that damage in a garage is more likely than theft from the drive?

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

In my experience with insurance companies they take what you say on the application as part of the conditions of the policy so i would be wary of putting "in my garage".

What if you had it stolen off the drive  because you didn't on that particular night?

UK Insurers have no questions on your application over Holiday Homes,  Residence or place you are at overnight with the bit on the side.

Reps or just contract workers / jobbers that are commuting but carrying no tools so not a business / commercial driver. 

Then offshore workers, flight crew etc that leave the car safely at a family members property while away.   Maybe while in area where they do not live but park their vehicle at gets flooded.

'No petrol left in this cars tank overnight.' 

As to EV,s and you say parked on drive overnight, you might not have home charging so the car is parked in the Offstreet Charging Hub overnight, or roadside charger.  You are allowed to be away from home.  

But then a Loss Adjuster worth their salt looks at your actual circumstances, maybe where you do actually park the car on a regular basis. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

Theft from drives likelihood is IMHO postcode dependent

49 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@PetrolDave It can be 1/2 a mile difference Post Code dependent,

On that we agree.

27 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Car in my name and with 2 named drivers, parked on street. 

Just needed another new tyre. Last week needed a wheel welded.  Time for more sensible wheels, but the tyres are not expensive when not run flats.

DSC_0807.JPG

Screenshot 2024-02-20 11.37.11.png

Just to be sure, are we actually talking about fully comprehensive or third party with these quotes? Mine are full comp.

What model of BMW is that and what age is it as I'm fairly sure that would be much more to insure here.

Edited by Graham Butcher

@Graham Butcher 6 year old, £16,000  & really over priced insurance for what it is. 2.0 D Auto. 190 ps, RWD. Not quick.

The named drivers are what has hiked the price.

I have not had a car TPF&F for about 40 years now as that could be as expensive as fully comp. 

Not even on Offroaders, and never had 3rd party only.

Been banned 3 times, paid a fortune for many years, had many many points over the years and quite a few accidents.

Usually had several policies with different companies and 1 or 2 of them with NCB,s running up, or been on group insurance and Motability Insurance for 15 different cars.

I was surprised that all points were cleared, no accidents in over 5 years etc etc. 

In the past years i have never paid over £300 a year no matter what i have had insured. 

Edited by Rooted

The issue with Motability was that you lost NCD / NCB when having no Insurance in your name for 3 years. People often had another car insured. i maybe had a few.

But that was stopped maybe 20 years back because you could show no claims, accidents while driving the car from Motability.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rooted said:

The issue with Motability was that you lost NCD / NCB when having no Insurance in your name for 3 years. People often had another car insured. i maybe had a few.

But that was stopped maybe 20 years back because you could show no claims, accidents while driving the car from Motability.

faced the same issue 7 years ago when I got a car again for the first time in many many(best part of 10)  years. I had/have No Claims on motorcycle insurance but they wouldn't (at the time, may have changed) recognise it as I wanted to keep that policy running (they would have made some allowance if I was cancelling the motorcycle insurance).

And once again back to the topic of the thread, yes this video is on topic as well as it covers electric cars and I thought that the video is pretty well researched and balanced, what are your thoughts on it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

And once again back to the topic of the thread, yes this video is on topic as well as it covers electric cars and I thought that the video is pretty well researched and balanced, what are your thoughts on it?

I'm not sure it's relevant because the talking head is, again, paddling the anti-EV FUD. 

"Current EV batteries last around 10 years" - completely false 

Then from that single false statement extrapolated to "EV's don't have any hope of lasting 10 years"

29 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

I'm not sure it's relevant because the talking head is, again, paddling the anti-EV FUD. 

"Current EV batteries last around 10 years" - completely false 

Then from that single false statement extrapolated to "EV's don't have any hope of lasting 10 years"

Totally disagree, did you do any research on this at all? This video is 2 years old already and maybe, 2 years ago that might well have been the current thinking and indeed it might well still apply today if the owner/driver was to always charge it upto 100% instead of the maximum of 80% in order to preserve the battery life. Also the constantly being charged at ultra-high speed v AC might not have been fully understood and also of course, this video is NOT an anti EV bashing exercise but is about all cars in general. I think you are just so finely tuned to EV's in general that you can't help but leap to the conclusion it, and I are anti EV which would be entirely wrong.

I did ask for thoughts however and I respect yours, but respectively point out that I think you're wrong.

Edited by Graham Butcher

6 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Totally disagree, did you do any research on this at all? This video is 2 years old already and maybe, 2 years ago that might well have been the current thinking and indeed it might well still apply today if the owner/driver was to always charge it upto 100% instead of the maximum of 80% in order to preserve the battery life. Also the constantly being charged at ultra-high speed v AC might not have been fully understood and also of course, this video is NOT an anti EV bashing exercise but is about all cars in general. I think you are just so finely tuned to EV's in general that you can't help but leap to the conclusion it, and I are anti EV which would be entirely wrong.

I did ask for thoughts however and I respect yours, but respectively point out that I think you're wrong.

You disagree with my statement?  "Current EV batteries last around 10 years" - completely false 

Or do you disagree that the video contains anti-EV FUD? 

Or do you disagree describing "EV don't have any hope of lasting 10 years" as extrapolated? 

I did research this kind of thing extensively before jumping into EV ownership. Even back in 2017 it was believed that battery will outlast the car. 

2 years ago we have 2+ years old Tesla Model 3 and many Korean cars showing hardly any battery degradation. 2 years ago we have 8 years old Nissan Leaf still going very strong. 

I agree this video in general is not anti-EV. It's talking about a very real problem. But the battery longevity statement stated as fact are totally false. There is no who is right or who is wrong, the facts are straight forward. 

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

This was 8 years back.  Some place somewhere these cars are likely still on the go. 

This always to 80% stuff is just so much guff.  As for 22/43 & 50 kW charging then that will be different again from 100/150- 350 kW. 

But 80% in the batteries of those cars might be double  or treble the range available to the cars from 10 years back. 

Screenshot 2024-02-20 16.05.17.png

Screenshot 2024-02-20 16.05.46.png

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

You disagree with my statement?  "Current EV batteries last around 10 years" - completely false 

Or do you disagree that the video contains anti-EV FUD? 

Or do you disagree describing "EV don't have any hope of lasting 10 years" as extrapolated? 

I did research this kind of thing extensively before jumping into EV ownership. Even back in 2017 it was believed that battery will outlast the car. 

2 years ago we have 2+ years old Tesla Model 3 and many Korean cars showing hardly any battery degradation. 2 years ago we have 8 years old Nissan Leaf still going very strong. 

I agree this video in general is not anti-EV. It's talking about a very real problem. But the battery longevity statement stated as fact are totally false. There is no who is right or who is wrong, the facts are straight forward. 

Please look passed the EV battery statement and read what I wrote about what might have been the thinking at the time this video was made, 2 years ago and the alleged conditions, of which some people still think is true today. And also I did say that his was not all about electric cars, but that it included electric cars in the main point of the video, which was talking about the apparent built-in obsolescence, it was never exclusively about electric cars, please understand that. :mad: 

For the record, I was actually I totally disagree with your reaction because you honed in on the electric angle and based your whole decision on what is in your opinion, paddling the anti-EV FUD.  Which is as far as I'm concerned not the aim of the video.

Edited by Graham Butcher

EV manufacturers have extended the longevity of the batteries by increasing capacity but restricting the charging to 80%? (even when you think it's 100%)

So modern batteries should last 20 years.

Screenshot2024-02-20at16-49-29BU-1003ElectricVehicle(EV).thumb.png.89399c66cd4736e80f73ff01acd57e2a.png

• Like 1