Mk1 Octavia 4x4 1.8t - What drivetrain?

Hey

I’ve just recently purchased a 2002 Mk1 Octavia 1.8t 4x4 estate. 

I’ve got the Haynes manual for that generation of Octavia, but it does not cover the 4x4 models. 

Does anyone know if the Audi TT Quattro with the 1.8t has identical running gear? I believe Haynes do a manual covering that car… 

I’m after doing oil changes on the gearbox, and Haldex coupling - but hadn’t considered the transfer box and diffs - so I’m after info on those areas

Cheers!

Will

5B257CFB-D27A-45D6-9560-59755F6F82FA.jpeg

7 hours ago, wjspencer said:

Audi TT Quattro with the 1.8t has identical running gear?

I doubt it. Quattro system is or was a permanent 4x4 system, and Haldex is part-time. Also, the TT has a 225bhp tune of the 1.8t engine and the Octy 4x4 has a 150bhp tune. You can get a legal soft copy of Elsawin for a 1 or 2 hour membership to download it all.

• Like 1

• Administrators

As a former owner I feel I should know.

however, I don’t.

there weee a lot of similar options kicking about back then. 

whilst being 150 out of the box it remapped to 180, 200 just fine. Comparable to the vrs at the time, just with more body roll.

id definitely try the legit paths to elsawin. One never knows how damaging copied or forged, unlicensed material can be.

Good luck!

12 hours ago, ColinD said:

As a former owner I feel I should know.

however, I don’t.

there weee a lot of similar options kicking about back then. 

whilst being 150 out of the box it remapped to 180, 200 just fine. Comparable to the vrs at the time, just with more body roll.

id definitely try the legit paths to elsawin. One never knows how damaging copied or forged, unlicensed material can be.

Good luck!

Hey Colin, thanks for the info. Managed to get a hold of Elsawin, it seems pretty good!

Glad to hear your remap went well, would be great fun! Did you have yours done on a rolling road? Is that essential/important?

Ah I didn't know that, I wonder if that's a worthwhile mod... do you have any experience of the two? 

10 hours ago, mac11irl said:

aye, theres a couple of different haldex units too, blue and green with blue being the "better one" iirc, which ever was the TT one.

Ah I didn't know that, I wonder if that's a worthwhile mod... do you have any experience of the two? 

1 hour ago, wjspencer said:

no experience tbh, never had a 4x4, only an auld ALH diesel.

however, i recall there being many discussions about it. the better one allows for changing the power distribution between the front to rear axles (brain is tickling at me that 90% to the rear is the max) while the regular one is fixed. have a search in thi section for haldex upgrades, should find some old stuff on it

• Administrators
On 29/12/2021 at 21:31, wjspencer said:

Hey Colin, thanks for the info. Managed to get a hold of Elsawin, it seems pretty good!

Glad to hear your remap went well, would be great fun! Did you have yours done on a rolling road? Is that essential/important?

It and a subsequent vrs were both for want of a better phrase done with a laptop.

it did go on rolling roads, but not to be mapped.

for a stage one it’s not worth it. Your butt dyno will give you all the vital data you need :) 

even a mild remap transforms it!

more so on twisty roads thanks to its smaller turbo it’s kind of ready to go. Plus the haldex you can get on it sooner :)

Just the body roll to learn/ lean into :)

That can be solved with anti roll bars and dropped suspension kit, dropped to normal height. I miss not caring about the height of things. I don’t know how “slammed” owners get anywhere :)

so long way, dyno not essential on an established unit like that at stage one.

if you even want to do it at all :)

10 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I was behind a Corsa doing 5mph over speedbumps in a 30, meanwhile I can get over them at 30 comfortably. :D

Well, it was a V@*xh@11 Coarser. ;) 

Edited by KenONeill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, roottoot said:

It does not say much about the speed bumps if on a 30 mph road and they were there to have traffic slowing. 

My cars a bit like a blancmange over bumps...possibly due to the age of various components. :D

• Like 1

On 28/12/2021 at 14:04, wjspencer said:

Hey

I’ve just recently purchased a 2002 Mk1 Octavia 1.8t 4x4 estate. 

I’ve got the Haynes manual for that generation of Octavia, but it does not cover the 4x4 models. 

Does anyone know if the Audi TT Quattro with the 1.8t has identical running gear? I believe Haynes do a manual covering that car… 

I’m after doing oil changes on the gearbox, and Haldex coupling - but hadn’t considered the transfer box and diffs - so I’m after info on those areas

Cheers!

Will

5B257CFB-D27A-45D6-9560-59755F6F82FA.jpeg

Hello.

As an owner of 4x4 1.8t i can confirm haldex units are the same with this generation across entire vag range and some other brands also. So golf mkIV, audi tt, audi a3/s3, leon, octavia mk1. 

For basic service of fluids any off manuals will do. For couplings look at etka or similar. If you have any other question fell free to post them.

Rob