Dashcam Fitting

JamesK

Hi All,

I'm due to pick up a 21 plate Octavia in a weeks time. I need to get my Dashcam fitted to the car.

Am I better off asking the dealer to install it using the Nextbase hardwire kit, or find a short cable to run from the USB-C socket near the rear view mirror?

Many Thanks...

6 hours ago, JamesK said:

Hi All,

I'm due to pick up a 21 plate Octavia in a weeks time. I need to get my Dashcam fitted to the car.

Am I better off asking the dealer to install it using the Nextbase hardwire kit, or find a short cable to run from the USB-C socket near the rear view mirror?

Many Thanks...

Worth noting that the USB-C socket near the mirror is only powered when the ignition is on, which may (or may not) be what you want/need for the dashcam if you want it for when parked, for example. I know some (all?) NextBase have a battery but I've no idea how long they last.

I'm quite happy with my 522GW plugged in by the mirror, and use the cable that came with it (tucked behind the mirror) plus a 90° USB-C --> USB-A adapter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sneal said:

Worth noting that the USB-C socket near the mirror is only powered when the ignition is on, which may (or may not) be what you want/need for the dashcam if you want it for when parked, for example. I know some (all?) NextBase have a battery but I've no idea how long they last.

I'm quite happy with my 522GW plugged in by the mirror, and use the cable that came with it (tucked behind the mirror) plus a 90° USB-C --> USB-A adapter.

Useful point sneal... I’ve hardwired my Halo Pro by the rear mirror to ensure the sleep/nudge functionality is charged and ‘on duty’ all the time it’s parked up. 

Thanks for all the info. I’ve got the Nextbase 522GW. For my previous 2 Octavia's I’d had the hardwire kit installed and the installer always used a switched live circuit, so it powered on the camera with the ignition… so I think plugging an adaptor cable in next to the mirror will do the job nicely.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Joss1733 said:

why hard wire it for/?

took my old Nextbase 522GW out the audi A2 i just sold and fitted into the 07  in about 40 mins  tops . all hard wired in  no probs 

why not ... its 2 wires . keep wiring simple 

13 hours ago, Joss1733 said:

fair enough but to me just plug it into the usb provided and job done.everyone to his own.

That’s fine if all the wiring is hidden, I just hate visible cabling, whether it’s in the car or home.  That’s why mine is hardwired, with not even a few mmm of wire to be seen.  

OTT? Maybe...😀

• Like 1

This is mine, tucked up behind the mirror on the passenger side, so I can’t see the screen when I’m driving.

(apologies for the pic quality, it’s pitch dark outside, and for some reason it’s turned through 90deg))

655E11C9-714A-4DEB-803F-B47ADDDE8D8A.jpeg

Edited by Baxlin

2 hours ago, Baxlin said:

This is mine, tucked up behind the mirror on the passenger side, so I can’t see the screen when I’m driving.

(apologies for the pic quality, it’s pitch dark outside, and for some reason it’s turned through 90deg))

655E11C9-714A-4DEB-803F-B47ADDDE8D8A.jpeg

what sort of set up is that mate ?

On 02/01/2022 at 21:28, Joss1733 said:

why hard wire it for/?

I've hardwired mine to the 12v fuse, I need mine powered at all times so t can use parkijng mode. The USB socket is also on the wrong side for RHD cars so cabling looks a mess

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scoutabout1 said:

what sort of set up is that mate ?

It’s a Novotel A118/B40, it has very small screen - no need for anything bigger IMO - with the cable hidden by the triangular bit of the casing.

Admittedly it is quite old, I bought it in 2015 for my Lexus, as it matched the windscreen sensor’s shroud. The Skoda is the 3rd car it’s been in.  

Each time I’ve used a piggyback fuse (this allows the selection of either switched or constant live supply to suit the camera) and an inline trailing ciggy socket, which accepts  the camera’s own plug, which is hidden behind the dashboard.  I reckon this is cheaper than buying a separate hardwire kit, and just as easy.

HTH

Edited by Baxlin

6 hours ago, Baxlin said:

It’s a Novotel A118/B40, it has very small screen - no need for anything bigger IMO - with the cable hidden by the triangular bit of the casing.

Admittedly it is quite old, I bought it in 2015 for my Lexus, as it matched the windscreen sensor’s shroud. The Skoda is the 3rd car it’s been in.  

Each time I’ve used a piggyback fuse (this allows the selection of either switched or constant live supply to suit the camera) and an inline trailing ciggy socket, which accepts  the camera’s own plug, which is hidden behind the dashboard.  I reckon this is cheaper than buying a separate hardwire kit, and just as easy.

HTH

Looks like a flash bit of kit . Think my hard wire kit was only 11 quid so it's pretty straight forward 

• Thanks 1

On 01/01/2022 at 10:38, phh683 said:

I have my blackvue connected via the mirror usb. It works fine..

I have been looking for a USB option for  blackvue, but cant find one, what did you use?

On 08/01/2022 at 20:30, MickyD44 said:

I have a Nextbase 522gw plugged into the Mirror USB, and it's been working perfectly.

Which cable did you use, I have been looking for a suitable one for a while.