MK4 CarPlay

Picked up my Octavia on Saturday and all seems good so far.

Only issue I have noticed so far is Waze map goes distorted on the infotainment screen and also audio can get a bit distorted. I am using an Apple cable and have tried two different ones and tried both USB C ports.

Has anyone else seen this.

F77842EA-C895-4FC6-9E8C-2B906E40B2E5.jpeg

D2E2E442-ECCE-4595-B478-A118676AD4A5.jpeg

2 minutes ago, GreenlineIIEstate said:

Is it brand new? If so, why you using a cable. Mine has wireless android auto and crapple carplay.

Yes. I use the cable to also charge my phone as doesn't have wireless charging.

I too use Waze via CarPlay all the time and that pink looking map does look familiar, so I'm pretty sure I have had it in the past, but it's so long ago I can't remember the details nor whether I did anything to make it go away, or it just went away on its own.   

Sorry - not much help at all!

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is quite old but it didn't seem to reach any real conclusion...

I too have had this problem occasionally for a long time but, as of about a week ago, it seems to be doing it all the time.  There are two symptoms:  one is the pinkish hue on the whole WAZE map and the other is serious distortion of the picture to the point where it's unreadable.  I can get one or other or both problems, but usually both.  It always starts out fine but after a few minutes the symptoms occur. Rebooting the Infotainment usually clears it for a few minutes but then it returns. 

The attached picture illustrates both problems.  Notice that the pop-up messages and the CarPlay navigation icons on the right are displayed correctly - it's only the Waze map that isn't.  The problem occurs with the phone wireless or cable connected.  My phone is up to date with iOS 15.5. Everything else works perfectly with CarPlay, so I don't think it's a generic CarPlay or Skoda problem but some quirk of the combination of Waze, Carplay and the Skoda Infotainment system.

I like Waze but I've been trying the built-in SatNav recently, which isn't as bad as I remembered, although it doesn't remember any previous destinations, which is annoying.  I've also been using Google Maps navigation, which works fine through Carplay and will probably be my preferred solution from now on if the Waze problem doesn't go away.

IMG_8123 2.JPG

Edited by alancha

22 hours ago, inspectorman said:

Near Aldermaston? Only near there or throughout Hampshire?

Some interesting pulsed reactors inside the perimeter. Not to mention the EMP simulator.

No - in fact I've had it in various places in Hampshire and beyond.

However, it's interesting you said that, as I have found odd behaviour with satnav (not just Waze) giving completely wrong locations sometimes but I've only noticed it when within a mile or two of the AWE.   As I live nearby it's not a problem but the satnav has sometimes shown me driving across fields etc., on the way home.

Edited by alancha

5 minutes ago, alancha said:

I've only noticed it when within a mile or two of the AWE.   As I live nearby it's not a problem but the satnav has sometimes shown me driving across fields etc., on the way home.

Given the weakness of the GPS satellite signals and the high levels of electric field that the EMP simulator can produce it doesn't surprise me that GPS signals are unpredictable at times.

When I worked at an automotive consultancy we did EMC testing and some of the behaviours we saw on prototype vehicles at field strengths seen on public roads were quite exciting - e.g. folding headlights going up and down in anti-phase!

• 4 months later...

My car has started doing this exact thing recently.  I’ve got a new iPhone, apple cable and the only thing I’ve found to do to get it to resolve is flick a switch like then one for comfort /sport / eco modes to get that screen up then back to CarPlay and it resolves.  It comes back after a bit.  Doesn’t seem to do it with Spotify or messages.  Just google maps.  

Had an android phone for 1.5 years and no issue like this at all. 

23 hours ago, sneal said:

Seems it’s only Google maps and Waze that mess up CarPlay.

Sounds like a Mark 4 Octavia specific issue as I use Google maps and Waze with CarPlay in my Mark 3 Octavia with no problems.

• Thanks 1

From Erwin VW Golf 8

Customer complaint:
When using the Waze application (navigation and traffic) on a mobile device (for example, a mobile phone) that is connected
to the car, the following disturbances occur:
• Radio navigation system:
− turns itself off and then starts again (reset).
− loses the bluetooth connection by itself.
• The operating and display unit is sometimes "reddish/pink".
• Sound playback does not always work.

The disturbances mentioned above are not caused by the car's technology. The cause of the disturbances is in the Waze application (navigation and traffic)

2 hours ago, T13 said:

The disturbances mentioned above are not caused by the car's technology. The cause of the disturbances is in the Waze application (navigation and traffic)

Since the Waze app works fine with cars not on the MQBEvo platform, I don't 100% agree with that statement on erWin.

There's an incompatibility with Waze but whether it's poor software design/implementation by Waze or by VAG is an open point.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Blueallblueno9 said:

What app do you need to download to use this feature? 

Not sure which feature you’re referring to, but if it’s CarPlay then it should be built in to the car and any modern-ish iPhone.

There are setup sequences in the infotainment system settings for both CarPlay (iPhone) and AndroidAuto (funnily enough for android phones). They should connect by wireless but the latter needs a more modern version for wireless connection; both work with usb.

• Like 1

On 17/01/2022 at 21:08, SaintMac said:

Yes. I use the cable to also charge my phone as doesn't have wireless charging.

What is the SW number on your car? Is it updated to 1896?

Hi guys,

QQ: How did you manage to get Waze in Full screen with Android Auto? Over the past months I've tried different settings and smartphones (Xiaomi Mi10T and Samsung S21) but with no luck.

SW number is 1889 on my Bolero unit, w/o the SatNav.

Br