Tyre Inflators

Paul1947

I am looking to get an electric tyre inflator, but with so many on the market would appreciate some guidance.

To start somewhere, I was looking at a Ring RTC1000. However some reviewers suggest that there can be a problem with fitting the connector into the 12v socket in the car. Has anybody got experience of these or, indeed, an alternative suggestion to make?

i have that one / model.  fits fine in front, and back cigar power sources

gets a little warm when worked hard (i have just put summer tyres back on and inflated from 2.1 bar to 2.9) but no probs.

had it over a year.

The ones I got for our cars are rechargeable with a main lead and 12v lead. I think they were Aldi/Lidl jobs but there are similar in the web. Only used it once to try it out but seams to work well enough on battery or powered.

I'm not a big fan of Ring products as they don't always seem to be very long lasting on reliability and function even given their price points.

Viair 70P Portable Compressor Kit 12V 100 PSI for Passenger Car Tires w/ Twist-on Tire - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303726177395

Here's a model up, Viar's model 84P with "press-on air chuck" and analogue gauge, with 15 amp draw (see pdf of User Manual).  - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293792153620

s-l1600.jpg

00084_Manual.pdf

For an accurate pressure gauge. - Halfords LED Digital Tyre Pressure Gauge 2015. - https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-and-pressure-gauges/halfords-led-digital-tyre-pressure-gauge-2015-171805.html

tyrepressure.jpg.375caa8ed79a0900fa5059f718e8cf8f.jpg.778f93a12412c2ddc3cf652e87daf44a.jpg

Edited by nta16

Personally I use a manual foot pump and that Halford 2015 separate pressure gauge, I don't like the electric pumps but I understand others may need to use them or prefer them.  If you have one do remember to check your spare tyre and keep it fully inflated ready for use.

4 hours ago, nige8021 said:

Last week I bought a Ryobi+1 inflator quite impressed with it, took my 275/40/21 tyre from 16psi to 40 psi in about 8 mins 

8 minutes??? 

32 minutes to do 4 tyres, could of drove to a local Halfords and got a manual foot pump, done the pressures and got back home before that was finished 😂

I personally don’t recommend the battery stuff for this kind of reason, way too slow 

12 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

8 minutes??? 

32 minutes to do 4 tyres, could of drove to a local Halfords and got a manual foot pump, done the pressures and got back home before that was finished 😂

I wouldn't trust any of the monkeys in Halfrauds to even pump up a bike tyre let alone let them near my car 

The only reason I bought the Ryobi is my Treg has a coolant leak and hasn't moved in 3 months, just one tyre has very slow leak and the supplied compressor needs the ignition ON (engine running) to work so I needed a stand alone pump and being disabled a foot pump is out of question 

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

3 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

I wouldn't trust any of the monkeys in Halfrauds to even pump up a bike tyre let alone let them near my car 

The only reason I bought the Ryobi is my Treg has a coolant leak and hasn't moved in 3 months, just one tyre has very slow leak and the supplied compressor needs the ignition ON (engine running) to work so I needed a stand alone pump and being disabled a foot pump is out of question 

Why couldn't the lads or ladies at halfords put air in a tyre ,its that simple to do actually a monkey could probably do it ,

I bought mine from asda 14 quid does what it says on the tin blows up your tyre tells you what the pressure it and its accurate ,had it about four years still like new .

6 hours ago, nige8021 said:

Neither would I,I’d just buy it from them, wouldn’t let them near my car.

fair enough if a foot pump isn’t suitable though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Why couldn't the lads or ladies at halfords put air in a tyre ,its that simple to do actually a monkey could probably do it ,

You think Halfrauds actually employ monkeys!! ;) 

• Groan 1

3 hours ago, KenONeill said:

You think Halfrauds actually employ monkeys!! ;) 

Well the young lady at halfords who fitted my current tyres did a good job ,as did the guy who hardwired my mates dashcam in ,i think some folk just like to talk crap as if everyones an expert

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Well the young lady at halfords who fitted my current tyres did a good job ,as did the guy who hardwired my mates dashcam in ,i think some folk just like to talk crap as if everyones an expert

Halfords are the worst of the worst. Used to work for them about 10 years ago before actually becoming a qualified mechanic. 

Theyre training comes down to reading an online module and away you go, things get broken constantly, bodged, covered up if no one noticed. Some of theyre equipment should not be on sale and should not be used such as aircon gas refills - I need a F gas certification to touch an aircon system but any tom **** or harry working at or buying from halfords can buy a can of gas without a clue what theyre doing.

Ive been on both ends of the scale, working for them and now wouldnt recommend a single person goes to them for any work.

• 1 month later...

We’ve had a Michelin OE16 inflator for 20 years. Never let us down. It will inflate a flat tyre in around 3-4 minutes and it has a cut off when it reaches the required pressure; it over inflates by 1psi.

However, I now keep an Aldi Cordless Mini Compressor in the boot and this is bl00dy brilliant! Yes it over inflates by 3psi, but I have a calibrated pressure gauge in the car so it’s not an issue. 

• Thanks 1