2017 vrs TDi economy

So I had a 2012 vrs diesel before this and on a motorway drive I could get 52mpg on a 70 mile drive to the office on motorways not heavy footed.

Just got my new 67 plate and the same drive I got 48, I'm not expecting the 60+ the book states but I was definitely not expecting worse than my 10 year old older version of the same car.

Is this normal or is something wrong?

That's really disappointing to get worse mpg from a newer model with a supposedly more refined engine, and those book MPG figures are a flat out lie, 67.3mpg extra urban? I haven't even seen 60 on a stretch unless it's downhill.

I have only had it a week, might need to just get used to it but I was in economy mode doing 70(ish) the whole way.

Any maintenance tasks that could improve economy? It's done 45k so really it's just run in, 10k/yr.

Ever-tighter particulates and NOx emissions targets have made fuel economy more and more difficult to achieve, especially with diesels. 

Shame really, cos obviously (real world) CO2 output goes up as fuel economy worsens.

Economy mode doesnt really work. Tried it and just feels the same as Normal.

Also type of tyres fitted will decrease mpgs with rolling resistance. New air filters can help if it has not been changed.

Stabdard I could get high 50s and low 60s on the motorway and around mid 40s for town. I get the same at stage 1 but it gets to those figures quicker.

Also you need to reset the mpg and the time driven to get more accurate figures.

20220402_175126.thumb.jpg.27a1055f327257f5adbab9652b7007f9.jpg

Spoiler

Managed this on the 6 mile drive to work. The engine was already warm and was showing 49mpg on the counter as I had driven from warrington about an hour earlier. However the drive home later will not be so economical 🤣

Definitely seems like something is off with my car then.

What things can affect economy on a modern TDi? And if it is a simple matter of the maxidot being badly calibrated how do I get that fixed?

Average of 45-47 MPG, 25 minute drive with majority on a motorway averaging 60 MPH in my 66 Plate VRS. About the same as my old car, a Vauxhall Insignia.

Edited by hhcd80
Car type

With all the differing factors, it is often difficult to work out whether your car is working as efficiently as it should. Direct comparisons with other reported consumptions are almost impossible to make. I can get 30% better consumption than my wife for the same journey in the same car. I try, she doesn't.

For what it is worth this is my approach:

1. Compare at least a couple of refuels actual consumption against reported tank average. It will give you some idea of accuracy and any variation is likely to be reasonably consistent.

2. Check odometer and speedo accuracy against a gps. More likely the former will be more accurate than the latter and the odo is the more important of the two for fuel consumption displays.

3. In my situation (in South Australia) I have access to pretty flat and non-busy roads where I can travel at the national speed limit.  The perfect conditions are close to 20 deg C, with little to no wind and a dry road. Think Norfolk/Lincolnshire flats.

4. So with the engine warmed up, no a/c on I then set off with cruise control set at the national speed limit (70 mph true speed not display speed), no one in front  and the display set for instant consumption.

Even though the display will fluctuate, after a short while you get an idea of what the consumption at that speed is, then use the already calculated variants to work out 'true' consumption.

It is my experience in those conditions that I should expect to at least be close or match the official combined consumption figures for the sedans/estates. I would expect it to be slightly worse for SUVs with their poorer aero.

I know it is still a real faff around but it is the only way I know to reduce as many variables as possible.

This held true for both my mk2 1.9pd and mk3 1.4tsi, which I regard and experienced as having good consumption.

Other Korean cars I owned from new were far worse than official figures and this was reflected in generally poor/abysmal general consumption.

I have a 66' TDI DSG and it seems to average mid-40's across a tank, especially in cooler weather.
I did see 63mpg after 80miles on the motorway last week at normal motorway speeds, the 110mile journey finished at 59mpg due to traffic on the A roads.

The MPG of these cars is well documented on here, It seems mid-40s is common.

Edited by MATT0693

How many miles has it done, My 67 plate manual diesel normally does 46 around town and between 48-52 on motorway. Just done 200 Mike round trip on M5 today averaged 49 but it was very windy and wet and haven’t done a long journey for a while. I tend to find the next long one I do it will improve again. 
not sure if there is still winter fuel kicking around which affects it as well.

Has it had a proper service recently, air and fuel filters changed. 
what fuel are you putting in?

I enjoy driving mine and don’t worry about mpg if you know what I mean. If I try and drive like miss daisy it tends to go down. 

General town / commuteyish / a bit of hooning type driving, of late I've been getting low to mid 40's. A good proportion of my driving is done late on at night and the temperatures have been low.

Went the other week to have a butcher's at a trailer, there and back was around 75 miles and got high 50's.

One thing to keep in mind is unless the average MPG has been set up on VCDS or OBD11, it usually reads incorrectly. Mine was reading 15% over. 

I've had some very changeable results when driving, it looks like this vrs has much more varied economy results than my old 2012 vrs TDi.

Still think an EGR clean/swap might be worthwhile