Koni Special Actives: Front Only or All 4

Hi All,

I've had my 2017 2.0 TDi 190BHP Sportline for about a year now.  When I got it I replaced the rear shocks with Monroe's as the originals were leaking.  I find the front of the car can be quite bouncy.  I've been reading up and a good recommendation seems to be to fit Koni Special Actives.

My question is:  Would you recommend I replace all 4 shocks or do you think I'd be OK just replacing the front considering the rear Monroe's are only a year old?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

There are certain things where I refuse to mix brands, tyres and suspension are the two main ones for me.

I'd agree when changing items on the same axle (e.g.: change both rear shocks, change both front tyres).  But not so sure about across axles.  What I mean is: When somebody has a leaking rear shock (like I did) they'd replace both rears, but I wouldn't change all 4 just to keep the same make front and rear. 

Agreed loads of people won't.

I prefer to keep the car as well balanced as possible, different brands will be made to different specifications.

If you were towing then I can see the argument for uprating the rears only, but it will still compromise the ride when not towing.

If you were to replace the fronts with stock or equivalent then yes go for front only. The SA's are a different type of shock and the balance front to rear would be off and potentially dangerous. If definitely going for SA's then go all 4. If not then maybe go for bilstein B4 for front only? They are said to be better quality than standard and a tiny bit stiffer (new shock syndrome IMO).

Edited by MarkyG82

4 hours ago, Damian@DPM said:

I'd recommend changing both the fronts and rears.

Let us know if you'd like a price on the Koni's.

Damian  @ DPM Performance 

Any special offers going?

On 03/04/2022 at 13:46, MunsterScot said:

Hi All,

I've had my 2017 2.0 TDi 190BHP Sportline for about a year now.  When I got it I replaced the rear shocks with Monroe's as the originals were leaking.  I find the front of the car can be quite bouncy.  I've been reading up and a good recommendation seems to be to fit Koni Special Actives.

My question is:  Would you recommend I replace all 4 shocks or do you think I'd be OK just replacing the front considering the rear Monroe's are only a year old?

Thanks.

Get the koni's all round.

My sportline came with monroe shockers as standard. I've got 2 words to describe them...

jw.jpg

On 03/04/2022 at 13:46, MunsterScot said:

Hi All,

Thanks.

As @Damian@DPM says, if you're fitting those Konis, fit them all round. Your car's suspension will be out of balance if you only fit them on one axle.

Can somebody confirm the correct part number for Koni Special Actives for a 2017 2.0TDI 190BHP Combi Sportline.  Looking at the Koni web site they are:

• Front: 8745-1388
  • Rear: 8245-1387

But when I look on some websites it says the 8745-1388 do not fit the car.  The rears are OK.

Thanks.

Got the 1388s for my Passat. Imagine they will physically fit being the same platform. Not sure on valving but shouldn't be too far out. Got mine from larkspeed who were very helpful.

Hace 8 horas, MunsterScot dijo:

¿Alguien puede confirmar el número de pieza correcta para Koni Special Actives para un 2017 2.0TDI 190BHP Combi Sportline? Mirando el sitio web de Koni son:

• Frente: 8745-1388
  • Traseros: 8245-1387

Pero cuando miro en algunos sitios web, dice que el 8745-1388 no se ajusta al automóvil. Los traseros están bien.

Gracias.

would they be valid for the same model and engine but 4x4?

• 4 weeks later...

Well I went for all 4.  Fitted them yesterday along with a new engine mount on the gearbox side.  Took the car for a short run.  Runs smoother and handles better.  The bounciness on the front is gone.  Early days but worth it so far.

For info:  I ended up buying them from Auto-Doc.  €494 (£421) delivered to Ireland.  Other prices I could find were €636 (Winparts), €505 (Amazon.de),  €535 (Amazon.fr) But not in stock with Amazon), €700 ( (from UK) + import tax (thanks Brexit) 

So, like most things these days, shop around for prices before ordering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 05/04/2022 at 15:36, Damian@DPM said:

Drop us a PM with your reg and we can get a price for you.

Damian @ DPM Performance 

15 hours ago, MunsterScot said:

Well I went for all 4.  Fitted them yesterday along with a new engine mount on the gearbox side.  Took the car for a short run.  Runs smoother and handles better.  The bounciness on the front is gone.  Early days but worth it so far.

For info:  I ended up buying them from Auto-Doc.  €494 (£421) delivered to Ireland.  Other prices I could find were €636 (Winparts), €505 (Amazon.de),  €535 (Amazon.fr) But not in stock with Amazon), €700 ( (from UK) + import tax (thanks Brexit) 

So are you glad you changed to Koni Special Actives, was it worth the huge financial outlay?

I have a Sportsline Plus 190bhp DSG 4x4 and I find it doesn’t handle speed bumps or badly rutted roads - very unsettled.

what’s your findings after changing?

• Like 1

Car feels more planted on the road compared with the old shocks.  Bounciness on the front end has also gone.  Car just feels better all round.  So, yes, was worth the €500.

• Thanks 1

On 08/05/2022 at 05:56, MunsterScot said:

Thanks for the info re autodoc, just ordered a set of 4.

4 years of ownership, 3 on lowered springs, time to sort out speed bump drama😀 hopefully!

On 09/05/2022 at 22:25, Markbro said:

4 years of ownership, 3 on lowered springs, time to sort out speed bump drama😀 hopefully!

From memory mine took about a week and a half to arrive.  Fitted the rears myself as they are easy but got a local garage to fit the fronts.

I think I read some place that it is not recommended to use Special Actives with lowered springs.  Something to do with how the shock works.  I might be wrong.  But it would be worth a Google to double check.

1 hour ago, MunsterScot said:

From memory mine took about a week and a half to arrive.  Fitted the rears myself as they are easy but got a local garage to fit the fronts.

I think I read some place that it is not recommended to use Special Actives with lowered springs.  Something to do with how the shock works.  I might be wrong.  But it would be worth a Google to double check.

Hopefully they will be okay. One of the other guys on here had them with the same springs without any.problems. he said he checked with koni and as long as the drop isn't greater than 40mm they will work as intended.  If not I still have the original springs😟

On 11/05/2022 at 21:55, Markbro said:

Hopefully they will be okay. One of the other guys on here had them with the same springs without any.problems. he said he checked with koni and as long as the drop isn't greater than 40mm they will work as intended.  If not I still have the original springs😟

Sounds good.  Once you have them fitted report back on what you think of the change.  I've been reading about benefits of changing the rear anti-roll bar for an upgraded one to reduce body roll in corners.  Have you thought about that give you have lowered springs and are fitting the Koni's?

No not bothered about the rear arb. After fitting the springs I can power through roundabouts and slower bends without a problem. Might be even better with the konis fitted. Not too bothered about higher speed scenarios.....for now!

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/05/2022 at 22:25, Markbro said:

Money we’ll spent Mark. You’ll not regret it. I sold the diesel and brought at 272 and transferred the shocks over with some new H&R springs.. tis marvellous 

oh and had it mapped lol 

E5F4410B-454D-44A8-9683-5C383EE44FB3.jpeg

ED0AB186-210B-4411-BAAD-32CBEA1DA8AD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

13 hours ago, Esseesse200 said:

transferred the shocks over with some new H&R springs.. tis marvellous 

Did you try without springs (ie stock height) on either car? I need to get top mounts etc done (speed bumps grrr) and wondering if I get springs chucked in at the same time. The handling is still on the sloppy side even with a rear roll bar. I just don't want to ruin it. I did enjoy my lowered Octavia on on B6 so lowered with SAs may be a softer version.