Anyone fitted 19" all weather tyres on their Karoq?

kodiaqsportline

As the title says, has anyone fitted 19" All weather tyres to their Karoq and if so what's your opinion?

I'm a massive fan of All season tyres - I fitted 17" Bridgestones to a previous car which suffered from high road noise and they completely transformed it. I saw winter driving as just an added bonus.

The 19" Bridgestone summer rubber is pretty loud on the karoq but my fear is All Season's aren't going tto improve things given their low profile nature.

I'm not going to change the original alloys nor am I going to deviate from the original tyre size. The tyres have to be 225 x 40 x19. Has anyone experienced them on their Karoq?

27 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

As the title says, has anyone fitted 19" All weather tyres to their Karoq and if so what's your opinion?

I'm a massive fan of All season tyres - I fitted 17" Bridgestones to a previous car which suffered from high road noise and they completely transformed it. I saw winter driving as just an added bonus.

The 19" Bridgestone summer rubber is pretty loud on the karoq but my fear is All Season's aren't going tto improve things given their low profile nature.

I'm not going to change the original alloys nor am I going to deviate from the original tyre size. The tyres have to be 225 x 40 x19. Has anyone experienced them on their Karoq?

I’ve been running Michelin Cross Climate SUV Tyres on 19” wheels since last summer. Far better than the factory fitted summer Bridgestone’s in every way. Aside from the obvious benefits, I’ve found there is a lot less road noise at speed and even a slight improvement in ride. 

19 hours ago, Rp_guab said:

I’ve been running Michelin Cross Climate SUV Tyres on 19” wheels since last summer. Far better than the factory fitted summer Bridgestone’s in every way. Aside from the obvious benefits, I’ve found there is a lot less road noise at speed and even a slight improvement in ride. 

Absolutely agree @Rp_guab.

Had a fast wet cold run up through Wales last week and the CRoss Climate 3s were really sure foooted.

So @kodiaqsportline so for it. I only lasted 10k miles before I changed. Anybody want a part used set of Bridgestone sliders?

Interesting that you rate the Cross Climate SUVs so highly. 

I've been relieved to find my factory-fit Bridgestone Duelers have coped with winter better than I feared, but will be switching to All-Seasons in the future. However I was a bit concerned to see that the CC SUVs were based on the old version of the CC+, while tyres for passenger cars have moved on to the Cross Climate 2s. However the size I need (225/45 R19) isn't available in them, and Michelins do seem a lot more expensive than Continentals etc.

Chris

I've been running Nokian WR A4 225/45/R19's for four winters now. As per others thoughts, they have performed far better than the original Bridgestones. Not that we've have any significant snow here, they are much more sure footed in cold wet conditions and with frost/ice on the roads. Far quieter than the Bridgestones as well, I run these in conjunction with Dunlop Sport Max RT XL 19's, usually between November & the end of April.

• Like 1

I replaced the original Bridgestones at the front with CrossClimate SUVs (215/50 R18 92W) in January 2021 after 13800 miles.  I've been very impressed with them.  They do seem quieter, and they've eliminated the occasional front wheel spin I used to experience with the Bridgestones.  Most impressively, after 14000 miles, they look good for at least another 14000 miles.  I've just ordered a new Sportline and, sadly, I don't think I could justify to my wife immediately replacing the tyres with CrossClimates,  but I would certainly do it if I could.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, barcudcoch said:

@RCC49Did you notice any problems only fitting CrossClimates to the front wheels?

No, not at all.

It appears in 225/40 R19 can now get Michelin cross climate 2 (and still stocks of cross climate +)

There is a limited choice though, including
Continental all season contact

Pirelli Cinturato all season SF2

Bridgestone weather control A005 evo

Maxxis premitra AP3

Out of this selection would go for cross climate 2, but it might cost you about £800-900 to buy 4 in this size

• Like 1

Everyone:  Really appreciate you taking the time to reply folks and putting my mind at rest. That's settled then, I'll change to All Season.

The front's defo need changing, only a thousand miles or so left which means 13k out of them. Car is 95% used around town and when we collected it, wheel spin was a problem on brand new rubber. I think that's why they've gone off so fast. The rears are fine but would much rather go All Season than just replace the front two.

Cost? Some suppliers are asking eye watering sums at the moment but Camskill have a ( relatively ! ) decent price right now.

I used Bridgestones on my previous car and loved them - £155 each

Those Cross Climate 2s are £159 each  ( they're over £200 at some retailers )

But from what I've read, the Maxxis All Season is receiving good reviews and they're just over £100.  I'm tempted to go with that option. 

The sound level rating for all three is the same.

On 05/04/2022 at 17:32, CJJE said:

I've been relieved to find my factory-fit Bridgestone Duelers have coped with winter better than I feared

Same here with the Karoq. Even living in Scotland, winter use is something that hasn't bothered me. It's a different story with the Kodiaq. That has 20" tyres and although they throw up road noise, it's certainly not bad enough I'd consider changing them soley for that. Winter driving is a different story.  Take it from me - a heavy FWD car with a relatively light engine and auto gearbox on 20" tyres is not a good combination. The car only has only covered 5k, the tyres show little or no sign of wear but I'll be changing those to All Season too.

2 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

The front's defo need changing, only a thousand miles or so left which means 13k out of them. Car is 95% used around town and when we collected it, wheel spin was a problem on brand new rubber. I think that's why they've gone off so fast. 

I assume you have DSG, as I have never had any issue with wheelspin on my 1.5TSi manual. 

It is unfortunate that the Op has worn the front tyres, but not the back, as could have got few more months usage through the warmer season if she/he had followed the manual which says swap tyres front-back every 10000 km (6214 miles)

https://digital-manual.skoda-auto.com/w/en_GB/show/58d2024f7f5815f8b1832f0c4d6723f9_7_en_GB?ct=58d2024f7f5815f8b1832f0c4d6723f9_7_en_GB

expensive lesson in missing the wheel swapping

Edited by SurreyJohn

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

It is unfortunate that the Op has worn the front tyres, but not the back, as could have got few more months usage through the warmer season if she/he had followed the manual which says swap tyres front-back every 10000 km (6214 miles)

https://digital-manual.skoda-auto.com/w/en_GB/show/58d2024f7f5815f8b1832f0c4d6723f9_7_en_GB?ct=58d2024f7f5815f8b1832f0c4d6723f9_7_en_GB

expensive lesson in missing the wheel swapping

Err, unfortunate to you perhaps but certainly not to me.  If I'm unhappy with the noise then why suffer it any longer? 

And my personal choice is not to do what the manual recommends. In a FWD car I have no control what the rears do  therefore there's no way in this world I'd contemplate driving with tread near min requirements on the rears. So if I'd swapped around as per the manual, the tyres wouldn't have lasted any longer. If I'd replaced the front worn tyres with summers, I'd have swapped the rears to the front, put the new tyres on the rear and repeated the process when the fronts wore.

Would have made no difference to me whatsoever.

14 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Err, unfortunate to you perhaps but certainly not to me.  If I'm unhappy with the noise then why suffer it any longer? 

And my personal choice is not to do what the manual recommends. In a FWD car I have no control what the rears do  therefore there's no way in this world I'd contemplate driving with tread near min requirements on the rears. So if I'd swapped around as per the manual, the tyres wouldn't have lasted any longer. If I'd replaced the front worn tyres with summers, I'd have swapped the rears to the front, put the new tyres on the rear and repeated the process when the fronts wore.

Would have made no difference to me whatsoever.

I respect your decision, but I think you have misunderstood what I was trying to say.

I was suggesting that had the wheels been swapped a few thousand miles ago when the front treads had only been partly worn, then you might not be within 1000 miles of needing to change 2 tyres.  Because rears tend to wear much slower.  Thus you could have gone on through the summer and only bought 4 seasons in the Autumn, rather than now (giving you few extra months usage).  However I generally suggest ordering all seasons by mid September (even if fitting is few weeks later) as prices tend to jump seasonally as weather turns cold.

I do not recommend putting worn tyres on the back because of the risk of sideways tail slides, and by worn I mean with under 3mm tread, but putting tyres on the back with 4-5mm of tread on the back is not likely to cause the same problem.

Once upon a time Skoda used to offer All season tyres as an option on new cars (I think it was an Octavia). When we bought our 4x4 Yeti ten years ago I purchased a second set of alloys and ran full winters over the winter months. Twice a year I used to fight my aching knees and back and swap them over. I even continued this process with our first Octavia.

By the time the second Octavia arrived I decided to swap over the Cross Climates and save myself the hassle of changing wheels. 

Where I live the amount of snow days (combined with the need to actually go anywhere on those days) are very small, but nevertheless the cross climates are so much better in wet / frosty conditions and quieter to boot.

When the Karoq arrived I bit the bullet, sold the 18’s after 2 weeks and downsized to a set of 16’s with Cross Climates with a proper sidewall.

I now have a car that is much quieter, with a less harsh ride, and with improved grip in all situations I am likely to find myself in.

Yes it was an expensive exercise, but the sale of the 18’s cross funded the cost of the wheels, so in effect I only paid for the tyres.

Edited by vegit8

@vegit8

Skoda did show as a choice & OEM fitment  at one point All Season tyres on Octavias & Superbs in the UK according to the configurator / brochure. 

The posts on here were about getting 'All Weather tyres',  with a Superb Mk3  SEL Greenline estate' as a member thought the car would arrive with.

'All-weather tyres 205/50 R17 89H (NAR) 17" Drakon alloy wheels.'

They turned out not to be All Weather Tyres and were not '3 peak' / 3pMSF so they would not have been legal if you had been going to any region of Europe that required 'Winter tyres'.  

Screenshot 2022-04-10 at 08.30.58.jpg

Edited by roottoot

1 hour ago, MikeTV said:

Hey interested on what the Karoq would look like on 16s. Do you have any pics at all?

This is my car on its 16” winter tyres . Please note that you can only officially use 16” with winter tyres fitted. 

7E25BED2-D10F-46E5-A53F-A978D4CF1A3F.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Please note that you can only officially use 16” with winter tyres fitted. 

Hi

I think you may have misread the manual which states that the permitted Rim size for the fitment of snow chains is 16"

There is no mention of a size restriction in relation to the use of 16" rims generally, nor that winter tyres need to be fitted on 16" rims.

When swapping my OEM 18"'s for 16's I checked with Skoda UK and my dealer that 16" rims were allowed for normal / all season road tyres, both said yes no problem.

I called my insurance company (LV) to inform them of the change and they just made an update to my declaration regarding the vehicle for no additional charge (either administrative or on the premium)

image.png.f237a76319d556190e6d7746b8dca908.png

• Like 2

Here is a pic of our Karoq on its 16's.

Some might say it looks odd, but the diameter of the wheel / tyre combination is exactly (it has to be) the same as other rim sizes.

Neither of us require the F1 type handling that low profile tyres afford, we prefer a softer more relaxed approach.

IMG_20220411_081604.thumb.jpg.4074489472c36911baf3f2f72219758b.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/04/2022 at 08:01, MikeTV said:

Hey interested on what the Karoq would look like on 16s. Do you have any pics at all?

When my son had his Karoq, he used my old Yeti 16” winter wheels instead of his standard 19” wheels  during the winter months.

D2C0348E-7BBB-4224-B00F-AB65FB6DA267.jpeg

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 2