Superb iV Road Tax Bracket

Just been looking at Road Tax costs for the Superb iV but I am a little confused. 

Purchase price when new was sub £40k. On the V5, co2 g/km is 35 and its classed as an Alternative Fuel Car. On this basis and checking the gov website here I would have expected the Road Tax to be nil but by typing in my car reg it says road tax is £145.

Am I missing something or is it worth challenging the road tax band for the car? 

So road tax or vehicle excise duty was a ‘emissions charge’ then they realised as more people get hybrid and electric cars with £0 road tax they are loosing a lot of money.

so now it’s not ‘emissions’ dependent and we all have to pay into the road tax whether hybrid of petrol diesel 

Mine was bought as an ex-demo, so substantially below the £42k list price it would have cost when new. That list price being above £40k means I have the pleasure of paying £480 this year and it looks like £510 next year and a similar ridiculous amount until its 6 years old . Oh how I laughed....!

I was well aware of this and in fact the first payment was included in the purchase price of the car. My alternative choice of car was an Octavia vRS iV (well below the £40k extortion threshold) but I was concerned about the Octavia's software issues and so stuck to Plan A and went for the 'older generation' Superb iV - with no regrets. 

Further justification (if needed!) was the insurance for the Superb was £100/year cheaper than the Octavia and both were cheaper than I was paying for the long range/short range Yeti/Citigo combo I had before.

You're only I was only young once...

Edited by aerofurb
  • Like 1

the £510 a year road tax on £40k + cars  would be scrapped if people voted with there wallets,

if there was loads  of unsold £40k+ cars  lying in fields , at the docks etc , they would'nt be long in scrapping it

as along as people are willing to pay it, it's not going away

2 hours ago, aerofurb said:

Mine was bought as an ex-demo, so substantially below the £42k list price it would have cost when new. That list price being above £40k means I have the pleasure of paying £480 this year and it looks like £510 next year and a similar ridiculous amount until its 6 years old . Oh how I laughed....!

I was well aware of this and in fact the first payment was included in the purchase price of the car. My alternative choice of car was an Octavia vRS iV (well below the £40k extortion threshold) but I was concerned about the Octavia's software issues and so stuck to Plan A and went for the 'older generation' Superb iV - with no regrets. 

Further justification (if needed!) was the insurance for the Superb was £100/year cheaper than the Octavia and both were cheaper than I was paying for the long range/short range Yeti/Citigo combo I had before.

I too bought an ex demo, I got the SEL with couple of extras (VC, reverse camera) which came to just under £40k list price so have luckily escaped the 'luxury car' tax. I do like the sportline, was just slightly over budget to begin with and the extra road tax just ruled it out for me. 

• Like 1

I have a 2018 Discovery 3.0SD6, the iV Sportline is the same road tax.

Going into London I don't pay the emissions charge in the Discovery, but if I use the 1.6tdi Fabia hack, I have to pay the daily charge because its Euro5.  The fabia is £20 road tax.

It's all a load of rubbish.

Edited by globalste

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2022 at 18:41, aerofurb said:

I don't understand why motoring groups and others aren't fighting the "luxury car tax" tooth and nail. The threshold hasn't increased in the 5 years since it was introduced and it now catches many pretty mainstream, ordinary cars. It's a blatant ripoff

• Like 3

there was an online  petition a year or so ago wanting people to add there signature to scrap the tax, but they never got enough signatures, so it died a death

as long as people are buying cars over £40k and paying the tax, it's not going away

Was one of the reasons I ended up with my GTE instead of iV. £1600 extra over the first few years on a car that was already more (new Vs used) plus feeling less precious about it. 

5 hours ago, 310golfr said:

there was an online  petition a year or so ago wanting people to add there signature to scrap the tax, but they never got enough signatures, so it died a death

as long as people are buying cars over £40k and paying the tax, it's not going away

Of course it is not going away, it is a voluntary tax (in the sense no one is forced to buy a car that costs over £40k)

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

Of course it is not going away, it is a voluntary tax (in the sense no one is forced to buy a car that costs over £40k)

i agree it's a voluntary tax,  but too many people complain about it, then still buy the car anyway, 

if buyers refused to buy cars over £40k, it would go away.

one of the reasons i bought the superb instead of the arteon was the  cheaper list price so cheaper road tax,   but i also i wanted a rear wiper, metallic white and a few other bits i was'nt getting with the vw.