Skoda Superb automatically switched to S instead of D on the display

Hello,

Quick background: I was driving in the rain today when the display next to the speedometer showed me the outside temperature message.

Afterwards I noticed on the screen that it showed S3 instead of D3: the gears were still shifted automatically, I didn't have to use the paddles.

I noticed the gears were shifting whenever it reached around 3000 rpm.

I looked in the manual for this but I can't find anything.

What feature is this, what is the difference from normal speeds (like D1 D2 D3 D4 etc.) and how is it triggered?

Best you say what engine you have which then gives an idea of which DSG.

But you have posts about an L&K.

?

Are you absolutely sure you never moved the shifter to S rather than it being in D?

?

So how many km / miles has it done, and has the DSG been serviced if it has done 65,000 km? 

• Like 1

You probably pulled back the gear selector lever as you selected D - pull the lever back against the spring-force you’ll feel there and it switches from Drive (D) to Sport (S) as you saw displayed. Gear change behaviour is changed for a ‘sportier’ style. It is a common DSG facility.

In a manual I just found online it describes it like this:

D/S Forward mode / sports programme - the gear change takes place in the position S at higher engine speeds than in mode D
 (Sprung position) - choice between positions D and S

If the Sport driving mode is selected with the engine running » page 244, Se- lect the driving mode (Driving Mode Selection) , the transmission is automatically set in the S mode.

Edited by Pilotguy
Quote from OM
  • Like 1

Yeah, I kept inadvertently doing exactly that on ours when I moved it from park to drive. We had a 450 mile drive yesterday and at one point I thought the DSG had broken as it refused to change gear….. til I looked down and at the gear lever and realised I’d knocked it across to manual. 🙄

• Like 1

On 17/04/2022 at 23:43, roottoot said:

Best you say what engine you have which then gives an idea of which DSG.

But you have posts about an L&K.

?

Are you absolutely sure you never moved the shifter to S rather than it being in D?

?

So how many km / miles has it done, and has the DSG been serviced if it has done 65,000 km? 

The DSG has been serviced correctly to my knowledge by the previous owner also.

I've only just bought it but it has been serviced right before that.

I am pretty sure I haven't moved the shifter to S rather than it being in D.

Small questions here: if I had shifted to S rather than D by accident how is it I didn't have to use the paddles to shift gears ?

Just now, theEyeofbrows said:

The DSG has been serviced correctly to my knowledge by the previous owner also.

I've only just bought it but it has been serviced right before that.

I am pretty sure I haven't moved the shifter to S rather than it being in D.

Small questions here: if I had shifted to S rather than D by accident how is it I didn't have to use the paddles to shift gears ?

I have an L&K Skoda Superb with a 6 gear DSG

On 17/04/2022 at 23:48, ApertureS said:

You’ve most likely just gone to D and knocked it down again to put it into S

unless it’s happening multiple times?

It may be I did it by accident. Does Skoda Superb have the option of switching gears automatically even if it's in S mode ?

S is still allowing the gears to change Automatically, the gears just hold to a higher RPM. 

You can select D or S.  Or go to manual shifting.

Your servicing might be fine and not an issue,

especially as you seem to have not tried out your DSG and choices of ways of using it.

Best Confirm the DSG is serviced with an Oil Change when required and not assumed it was done if no evidence with an Invoice or Receipt. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, roottoot said:

S is still allowing the gears to change Automatically, the gears just hold to a higher RPM. 

You can select D or S.  Or go to manual shifting.

Your servicing might be fine and not an issue,

especially as you seem to have not tried out your DSG and choices of ways of using it.

Best Confirm the DSG is serviced with an Oil Change when required and not assumed it was done if no evidence with an Invoice or Receipt. 

The previous owner gave me all the papers from all the servicing that was done on this car including DWG serviced Oil Changes.
I will look through them again to be absolutely sure.

Thanks

Go out and play with it. Use the stick, rock it sideways and into manual then nudge forward and backwards to change also use paddles watch the indicator and see how it prompts upshifts but will also force a down shift if you are dragging the engine.

Then once you are happy nudge rearwards when in normal D or Eco mode and see how that drives differently, pick up is quicker and revs are extended before shifting up. 

Give it a go on differing roads to ensure you are comfortable and then adapt your driving style to exploit a great feature.

• Like 1

As above but more precisely answer your question: S mode is not manual shifting mode. M mode by pushing the stick to the side is manual mode with shifting via either the paddles or pushing the stick forward for up or backward for down.

S mode changes gear for you but at higher engine revs and offers a sharper accelerator pedal feel.

• Like 1

Im not sure, someone correct me on this, but does it not also shift up and down even in manual if you redline the engine for a period of time, or just drag it to low in the rpms as well for a longer period of time?

Havent tried it out myself on my superb, but my audi A6 did that in manual mode, so manual on automatic cars is never actually manual i believe, the computer wont let you redline it for 5 minutes even if you wanted to..

1 hour ago, bubib5 said:

does it not also shift up and down even in manual if you redline the engine for a period of time, or just drag it to low in the rpms as well for a longer period of time?

Yes.

Longer answer: I think it does this to protect against prolonged limiter bouncing and also to keep the engine turning at a sensible minimum speed.

• Like 2

Different DSG,s in petrol or diesels or wet or dry clutch can behave differently.   All try to protect themselves though.   There are ones you can move to M1 and floor them and the DSG will go through the gears on the red line and go quicker than in S.    There are ones that in manual if you go to a low gear too low it ignores you.   Some will actually maybe go down the gears and near put you through the windscreen.  

• Like 3