Positive effects of DSG Service

I've just had a DSG service done at nearly 40,000 miles and am surprised at the positive effects it's had - shifts are much crisper and occur earlier making for a more responsive drive. Previously I would often see the gear display indicate a shift a second or more before it actually occurred, now it shifts first and then the display updates. Has anyone else had a similar outcome?

I done the “DSG reset” the other day and I’m sure I noticed a difference, so I guess when it has a service they reset something software wise.

That reminds me I’ve not long gone over 40k and need to book in the service shortly

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, numskull said:

How does one go about resetting the DSG? 

Vcds or OBDeleven usually. Some say there is a way to do it with a pedal combo but I've never got that to work.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, numskull said:

Can be done with odis, the youtube way is the accelerator pedal method, but from various sources, thats a no go!

It certainly is a no go when it does not work on some cars DSG's, but then when it does it does.

No harm is done by trying the way that others do and tell you how to and that it worked. 

As it is you can lend your car to someone, get it back behaving like crap, take it out and drive your way and all is well again.

This can be the case with Demonstrators, Courtesy cars, hire cars etc and something that motoring journalists seem to miss, they slag a DSG forgetting that another motoring journalist had the car out before them. 

1 hour ago, numskull said:

I done mine with the accelerator pedal down for 20 seconds and ignition only on.

I was thinking what’s the worst that can happen and not bad happened and I’m sure it doesn’t hold the gears for as long.

probably all in my mind though 

3 hours ago, j caff said:

I reset mine yesterday on the iV, I've definitely noticed a difference, it changes up much more quickly. 

Can you share what method you used? Not been brave enough to try it on my GTE.

2 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

Can you share what method you used? Not been brave enough to try it on my GTE.

Ignition on, foot on the throttle for 20 seconds ignition off. I didn't notice anything at first until I went to work the next day where I noticed it was in much higher gears than usual in certain parts of the quite short journey. 

• Thanks 1

It could be that the Garage also performed Basic settings on the gearbox.

That involves using diagnostic equipment with the engine running, holding the brake and the gearbox runs through a self calibration and re-learns the clutch biting points etc.

15 hours ago, Phil-E said:

It could be that the Garage also performed Basic settings on the gearbox.

Are you aiming your comment at me and j caff? We have phevs so I don't think this process works in the same way. I could be wrong hence my question on the method above.

@MarkyG82I think @Phil-Ewas aiming a my original post.

I am convinced the garage have done something as well as the oil change. It wouldn't surprise me if the system was programmed to slow down shifts as it approaches the scheduled maintenance and set them back to normal when it's done so that the profitable service feels worthwhile and you come back for more!

36 minutes ago, D402 said:

@MarkyG82I think @Phil-Ewas aiming a my original post.

I am convinced the garage have done something as well as the oil change. It wouldn't surprise me if the system was programmed to slow down shifts as it approaches the scheduled maintenance and set them back to normal when it's done so that the profitable service feels worthwhile and you come back for more!

😆😆😆

Dsg gate...

• Haha 1