SatNav fault loss of position, ACC issues.

Hi just checking if anyone else has had the same fault as I had this morning going to work....

About 15 miles into a 100 mile run I noticed the ACC playing up again, picking up cars on the inside and slowing down....  I am on the latest software that had fixed the problem so I was a bit surprised. Then I noticed the car thought I was on a B Road when I was on the Motorway, i had a closer look it was tracking me some 30 miles away from where I was, it was moving but not in the same direction or location as i was. By the time I finished the journey the car thought I was 80 miles away. I rebooted the Infotainment and turned the car off and on but the car still thought it was in Hampshire. I have left it off and will try again tonight/tomorrow to see if its fixed itself or not... Has anyone else had this? Or found a resolution?  Its not jamming as I run a GPS Dashcam that had no issues and luckily I Nav by my phone with TomTom, again with no issues. Luckily I never use the cars Satnav but this threw the ACC back into fault mode.... I hope its not another bug!

1 hour ago, matrix2020 said:

Hi just checking if anyone else has had the same fault as I had this morning going to work....

About 15 miles into a 100 mile run I noticed the ACC playing up again, picking up cars on the inside and slowing down....  I am on the latest software that had fixed the problem so I was a bit surprised. Then I noticed the car thought I was on a B Road when I was on the Motorway, i had a closer look it was tracking me some 30 miles away from where I was, it was moving but not in the same direction or location as i was. By the time I finished the journey the car thought I was 80 miles away. I rebooted the Infotainment and turned the car off and on but the car still thought it was in Hampshire. I have left it off and will try again tonight/tomorrow to see if its fixed itself or not... Has anyone else had this? Or found a resolution?  Its not jamming as I run a GPS Dashcam that had no issues and luckily I Nav by my phone with TomTom, again with no issues. Luckily I never use the cars Satnav but this threw the ACC back into fault mode.... I hope its not another bug!

Only a short journey this morning with no opportunity for ACC but the built in maps/GPS tracked my drive accurately - in Hampshire!

Edited by sneal

When I first had the car the satnav would intermittently start with me either about 100m offset from where I was, or at times started me from a location I'd visited either that day or the previous.  It tracked my direction trying to fit me to whatever roads were closest and usually after 5-10 minutes I'd look and it would have caught up.

Haven't noticed it doing that of late, but I don't use it and didn't continue the subscription after a year so like the ACC it's not really used now.

Happened to me when i was using the system to find a destination in Glasgow. It told me to turn left at the junction. At that point i knew it was wrong as a left turn was into oncoming traffic. When i looked at the screen i was about 5 miles from where i was. Contacted the dealer , dealer took the car for 3 days and road tested but could not replicate the fault. It happened again a few months after the dealer visit but not since and thats been about a year.

Im just waiting for new car to arrive to ditch this , now its been formally rejected.

I'll post my reg so that the next user gets a history of my probs

PS still on 1803 S/W

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

I find it quite amusing that someone trusts and actually uses it.

I do usually use Google Maps via Android Auto but mainly because that is much better at inputting destinations. It also often suggests a destination that I had just been researching online.

The Skoda satnav has these advantages:

• Can display on virtual cockpit as well as infotainment screen
  • Displays speed limits for many roads
  • Can return to its display with single button press (on "Home")
  • Unaffected by availability of mobile data signal

Disadvantages include:

• Inability to recognize certain destinations, spoken or using keyboard
  • Database is frozen in time whereas Google's is updated continually
  • Very occasionally gets it's own position wrong.

Just a quick update, after two days suddenly it corrected itself and is tracking the right location, I will see if happens again, fingers crossed its only a one off, but sadly I doubt it! I hope the ACC is back to normal as well, but I will find out later today. 

11 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

TBH I never use it for navigation, but its really useful to have a view of where you are (large scale geographically) when doing long journeys, especially if you don't know the surrounding area. TomTom, which i use on my phone, is great for the route but not as great for surrounding area view. It also gives another option to check on traffic as it does have reasonable traffic information, but not as reliable as TomTom in my view. 

On 23/06/2022 at 21:18, TheWanderer said:

I don't trust it; it's tried to send me through a private farm just because the track showed up on the map, and through a road that has been closed midway along for years :blink:.  One of the reasons I didn't bother renewing the connect subscription when the free year lapsed.

Now if only my Motorola phone would connect reliably with Android Auto I'd be sorted...!

• Like 1

i know there is numerous people with cars with software problems which are a disgrace.with skoda who must of known full well there was a major problems with there software.just wonder why any countries goverments have never stepped and done a complete review on the safety of theses cars?in regards to this what is very latest software number and sat nave update.are the latest cars that have come out in the last few months having the same problems?

I am hoping it was a one off, although I doubt it! I have the latest software, I guess its just the way this car will be, you never know VAG might fix the software by the time the facelift comes. My daughters brand new Seat Ibiza FR had her Infotainment freeze the other day.. its pretty widespread across all VAG cars with the latest MIB. Although we live with it for now, I don't see how car companies will be able to get away with this in the future when self driving is accepted, it will cost the manufacturers a fortune if crashes are caused by faulty or glitchy software....  

I recently completed the first long journey in my facelift Karoq, Birmingham to Torquay. Nice and simple, M5 to Exeter, then A38 and A380 to Torquay. I generally only need satnav for the last few miles but I thought I'd try it out for the whole journey. I stopped at Michaelwood services for about half an hour and when I returned to the car the satnav had forgotten my route. With my old MIB2 satnav it would have picked up my route where I had left off and continued. With MIB3 it didn't even offer to continue navigation, it just presented me with a blank radar screen. Eventually, after several minutes, Torquay appeared on the radar screen so I selected it and the route was duly calculated. At Almondsbury junction, the satnav directed me west on the M4, towards the M48. Needless to say I ignored the instruction and continued on the M5 until the satnav finally got the message that I was going that way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JollyGardener said:

At Almondsbury junction, the satnav directed me west on the M4, towards the M48. Needless to say I ignored the instruction and continued on the M5 until the satnav finally got the message that I was going that way.

Sounds like the sat nav was basing that diversion on out-of-date congestion data on the M5?

• 4 months later...
On 22/06/2022 at 12:27, matrix2020 said:

Just had the same problem this morning. On my way from Leeds to Manchester on the m62. Started to get audible alarm for exceeding the speed limit. On checking the sat nav it thought I was in Horrogate. 
I also had the same problem with the ACC which kept slowing me down as I was passing cars along with travel assist which was only showing single track road instead of the usual 3 lanes on a motor way

• Like 1

i have similar GPS issues. GPS location is totally wrong, sometimes for more then 200 km apart from my current location. This triggers the chain reaction with other assist systems ( dynamic road sign recognition, ACC, matrix headlighs, SOS) which then do not work properly. 

Strange thing which i was also noticing is, that sometimes (not always!!!) while the GPS is out of sync also the GPS location on carplay (google maps, apple maps and waze) are also wrong and shows the same wrong location as the built in sat nav. I have always tought that the GPS signal for carplay is independant (provided by mobiles phone GPS)  from GPS signal for built in sat nav. Apparently its not. Than again, sometimes when the built in nav is out of sync the maps on carplay show the correct location. I just cant figure it out. :wondering:

Ofcourse went to the work shop, they've made a diagnostics and the result is that GPS antena is malfunctioning. So i will get a new one once it is on stock (been waiting for 3 weeks now). Hope that resolves my issues.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2022 at 16:04, TheWanderer said:

I'm surprised anyone still uses the built-in satellite navigation system, when Google Maps and Waze amongst others are now so good. 

I don’t generally use it. The only reason I checked it was because of the speed limit warnings I was getting and the fact that the travel assist was showing the wrong layout on the motorway. 

everything seems to be working again ok for now

Edited by mitchec
  • Like 1

Same here... since i didn't renew the Skoda Infotainment online service (hence the gmaps has much better and accurate traffic information than built in sat nav) i also do not use built in sat nav to navigate my routes. But as @mitchec said speed limit warnings and travel assist functions depend on GPS so the issue was mainly there. 

And i just got  my GPS antena replaced with the new one. Old one was malfunctioning and by their comments, the microchip connections were really in bad condition. So now, fingerscrossed, all is working fine. Hope it stays that way for while lol. Also the SOS error is fixed! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2022 at 16:04, TheWanderer said:

I'm surprised anyone still uses the built-in satellite navigation system, when Google Maps and Waze amongst others are now so good. 

I use Waze via Apple car play all the time now, much more accurate than the inbuilt rubbish and of course it is continually updated by its users in present time. Sometimes you think "why send me that way" then you see the big red line on the normal route indicating stationary traffic. The speed limit signs aren't out of date either unlike the inbuilt system.

Edited by Ianrally
  • Love it! 1

• 2 months later...
On 26/11/2022 at 10:14, Soko1982 said:

i have similar GPS issues. GPS location is totally wrong, sometimes for more then 200 km apart from my current location. This triggers the chain reaction with other assist systems ( dynamic road sign recognition, ACC, matrix headlighs, SOS) which then do not work properly. 

Strange thing which i was also noticing is, that sometimes (not always!!!) while the GPS is out of sync also the GPS location on carplay (google maps, apple maps and waze) are also wrong and shows the same wrong location as the built in sat nav. I have always tought that the GPS signal for carplay is independant (provided by mobiles phone GPS)  from GPS signal for built in sat nav. Apparently its not. Than again, sometimes when the built in nav is out of sync the maps on carplay show the correct location. I just cant figure it out. :wondering:

Ofcourse went to the work shop, they've made a diagnostics and the result is that GPS antena is malfunctioning. So i will get a new one once it is on stock (been waiting for 3 weeks now). Hope that resolves my issues.

I was also surprised to see the car's location affecting all GPS positioning on my iPhone when plugged in via USB. I was not aware that the car's GPS data supercede's the iPhone's when plugged in to use CarPlay

But it was 100% when the iPhone was plugged in my position was 200 yards away in all apps, but as soon as I unplugged the position was accurate again. I wish there was an option to choose to use the phone's GPS signal instead

This is on a 2023 Skoda Scala BTW - I found this thread when Googling the problem

On 18/12/2022 at 13:53, Ianrally said:

I use Waze via Apple car play all the time now, much more accurate than the inbuilt rubbish and of course it is continually updated by its users in present time. Sometimes you think "why send me that way" then you see the big red line on the normal route indicating stationary traffic. The speed limit signs aren't out of date either unlike the inbuilt system.

....but you can't use Waze on the instrument screen, which is a real shame.....

• Like 2