Woo woo sound from the rear

Above 30mph got a woo woo sound from the rear which seems to be in time with the wheels turning/engine speed. Replaced both rear bearings as they were due for a change anyway given the mileage since the last change and thought this would resolve the issue but no. Anyone got any ideas on what might be the issue?

Out of round tyre creating a resonance at the wear bar on the flattest point (I've actually seen this happen, pre-camera phone). Alternatively, parts cannon has not been loaded with the right parts yet.

• Thanks 1

I'd try the front to rear tyres suggestion already given.

Also check you're not close to a steam railway track.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I had a woo woo sound that defied all reason, it was checked by two garages who could find no fault.

At the last MoT the techie noted an advisory 

"Nearside Rear Road wheel slightly distorted"

That one was taken off, the spare put on and the noise disappeared

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Woo woo noise... is it the police? :giggle:

That's just you when you're doing 120 mph in your 1.2 :D

• Haha 2

I have exactly the same noise you describe and above 30mph. It's been like this for a couple of years now. Mine is defo coming from the OSR and initially I thought it was a wheel bearing but recently I discovered my OSR caliper is binding slightly due to a seized caliper piston. I'm just about to replace the caliper so I'll report back if the noise disappears once replaced? I have a feeling the slight bind is what's causing the 'mooing' noise?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually, I do live near a steam train, it's particularly annoying because the callipers, pads discs and bearings front and back have all been replaced in the past 12 months, will try switching the wheels around though am reluctant to put the premier tyres on the rear. Thank you all for your suggestions.

29 minutes ago, Boatman1 said:

will try switching the wheels around though am reluctant to put the premier tyres on the rear

Swapping the two front tyres to rear should be fine as you'll make allowances for any differences during your testing.

Perhaps if you could make a recording of the sound.

Was the noise before or after the change of callipers, pads, discs and bearings (perhaps something could have been disturbed or parts quality).

On 13/07/2022 at 16:30, johnthomas99 said:

I have exactly the same noise you describe and above 30mph. It's been like this for a couple of years now. Mine is defo coming from the OSR and initially I thought it was a wheel bearing but recently I discovered my OSR caliper is binding slightly due to a seized caliper piston. I'm just about to replace the caliper so I'll report back if the noise disappears once replaced? I have a feeling the slight bind is what's causing the 'mooing' noise?

Update as promised....

I have replaced the OSR brake caliper but unfortunately the 'mooing' noise is still there from the OSR wheel.  I can only think it is the wheel bearing as I've tried swoping wheel around as well.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2022 at 17:32, nta16 said:

Swapping the two front tyres to rear should be fine as you'll make allowances for any differences during your testing.

Perhaps if you could make a recording of the sound.

Was the noise before or after the change of callipers, pads, discs and bearings (perhaps something could have been disturbed or parts quality).

Prior to replacing rear bearings but after replacement of front bearings callipers etc, thought the noise was the rear bearings going as it was close to the mileage at which they were last replaced.

You can get distracted sometimes by your own thoughts, I thought I could hear a noise at the front but my wife pointed out it was the rear, a fresh set of ears sitting the other side of the car can make all the difference or sitting in the other two or three seats.

have you the tracking done?

i know there much "adjustment" in the rear end of a mk1 octy, and probably not in a furby either, but it could worth checking?