Posabile ABS Fault No light on dash

Hi,

I have been driving my fabia for a while now and today it decided to nearly slid out i was having a little bit to much fun but i did notice there is no abs light on the dash and the brakes did not do the normal judder that most cars that have abs installed do i do have a abs pump on my car and module but it seems to not do anything even when i brake harshly it does not judder either.

Could it be a sensor thats playing up or the pump just not working i know the abs light works as it did display it when I first got the car it does have junky asda triers on it at the moment not my first choice of trier.

is there a way of enabling the abs and disabling it on these cars as i know some models have the button i dont seem to have one is there a fuse that could be blown.

Your post is rather confusing, normally when you turn the key on the ABS symbol lights up then goes out if everything is ok, if the light stays on there's an issue with the system this could be a broken fuse link a wheel sensor or the pump itself, if it does not light up at all could be just a bulb replacement but thats a pain as well,  you can check fuses etc yourself but it's a bit more involved to check the wheel sensors so perhaps a visit to a garge that can plug your car in might help, 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Murdockman said:

Your post is rather confusing, normally when you turn the key on the ABS symbol lights up then goes out if everything is ok, if the light stays on there's an issue with the system this could be a broken fuse link a wheel sensor or the pump itself, if it does not light up at all could be just a bulb replacement but thats a pain as well,  you can check fuses etc yourself but it's a bit more involved to check the wheel sensors so perhaps a visit to a garge that can plug your car in might help, 

Wheel sensors would not be too bad im getting a cdvs soon as well i don't really pay attention to the dash so after work ill have a look off the top of my head the light does come on but i could be imaging this might make sense why the car does not judder i did not really pay attention to it till today really changing the bulb for the speedo won't be too bad its not going to be any worse then rewiring from the bcm witch i had to do to get the windows working as someone did a boge on the window control module wires.

im a little to skint for the old garage im more of a learner been working on cars for a while anyway if i give up then ill have to use a garage problem is lot of garages in my area are a little dodgy they love to over change and make out other issues are there when there not 😞 so i tend to avoid them only use one for parts mainly because there cheap.  

1 hour ago, mk2rs2008 said:

is there a way of enabling the abs and disabling it on these cars as i know some models have the button

No. Switchable ABS is only fitted on cars with 4WD and one or more lockable differentials.

Just now, KenONeill said:

No. Switchable ABS is only fitted on cars with 4WD and one or more lockable differentials.

10/10 i genuinely had no idea i saw a couple 1.2 htp with the option on them when i was hunting for one or they must of been a bigger engine size. 

my old Hyundai had abs switch on it that was a 1.2 i20 i don't like Hyundais unforntally just feel like there going to topple lol.

• Confused 1

ABS had to be fitted as standard from 2004.   (There are those that have disabled it for track use etc, that is not done with a button.)

For the MOT the check light must come on then go out. & stay out.

*Loads of ABS threads, sensors etc, then ESP & TC ones in this forum for Mk2 Fabia if you look. *

Skoda were still having ESP as an option even on Mk2 Fabia.  (There are ones without ESP) 

There are those with ESP that have disabled it it for track use etc)

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/164651-why-no-esp

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/457332-esp-on-fabia-3

Traction Control / ASR , Anti Slip Regulation was not fitted to all Mk2 Fabia but when it was some have a switch to put it off.

Some that never had it have activated it. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/327411-stupid-questions-esptraction-control

Edited by roottoot

@mk2rs2008

Where you locking up the front wheels and skidding to the point where you should feel the ABS?

Or where the brakes not locked on and it was just ditch finder tyres without grip? 

I never feel ABS when driving cars but then if i had to slam on the brakes i would still modulate the braking as an automatic thing.

Likely messing up the job the ABS might or might not do in stopping the car and allowing me to steer. 

I disable ABS on Offroaders if they have ABS (newer than 2004) but that has nothing to do with the Diffs and the 4x4 set up, it is because they are old tech.

The airbags are disabled as well. 

Edited by roottoot

3 hours ago, mk2rs2008 said:

my old Hyundai had abs switch on

Do you mean traction control perhaps?

The idea of the warning lights coming on with ignition is to show you they're working, you should be paying attention to them rather than whatever is distracting you from this.

The ABS isn't a toy and you shouldn't be relying on it or abusing it, it's the tyres that are the contact with the road and the computers can only do so much to help out when things are going wrong.  If your tyres aren't very good for what you want you will not improve them by being hard on them.

For all I know you could be the best driver in the world but I don't like the sound of you provoking ABS judder [ETA: by your style of driving].  We were all young once and did stupid things but mistakes can have serious consequences and it may not be you that comes off worse, which I'm sure you'd agree would be unfair.  You can book cheap track days if you want to wear and tear your car or destroy it as the public roads are not so good for this.

Let me know if you're ever driving anywhere near Northamptonshire.  😄

Edited by nta16
ETA:

6 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

OK, do you have any other suggestion for testing ABS besides VCDS?

No I meant by the style of driving - I'll edit post.

4 hours ago, mk2rs2008 said:

today it decided to nearly slid out i was having a little bit to much fun but i did notice there is no abs light on the dash and the brakes did not do the normal judder

Testing of luck and patience of others maybe but that doesn't sound like a deliberate attempt to assess the ABS function to me.

ABS, I've not got servo even. 

Edited by nta16
ETA:

3 minutes ago, nta16 said:

No I meant by the style of driving - I'll edit post.

Ah got you. At least I presume you're ok with someone occasionally (once every several months) deliberately placing one side of the car on a slippery surface to check the effects (holds straight, slow less quickly).

Edited by KenONeill

Because I used to swap from a new modern car with good modern brakes to a very old car with good but very different braking I often test the brakes just after leaving the hardstanding at home out of habit but I don't think I've ever tested ABS deliberately.  I once found out how good modern emergency braking was about 20 years ago when I was looking in the wrong direction halfway across a dual-carriageway in France but that was in a very small Japanese car and they come fully loaded and everything works very well.  Mostly for the last 30 years I've had to rely on tyres, pads, shoes (including the ones I wore) bits of metal and hydraulics and a very poor quality and intermittent biological  computer system.

On 19/08/2022 at 21:05, sepulchrave said:

I hate ABS, I can stop a car faster without it, it's called cadence braking and I learnt how to do it when I was a teenager back in the 80's when we still had bad winters.

I very much doubt you could out brake a modern car travelling at high speed, if you needed to perform an emergency stop. Cadence braking is usually reserved for off road (Track/rally, etc) driving, to force a small skid, turn a bit, skid again, etc. Not for road driving. Many people think they can do better then the car, until they pile into the back of another vehicle!

It is only about stopping the wheels / tyres being locked up and also allowing you to steer when you slam on the brakes.

If there is a poor surface, diesel spills, ice on road, gravel etc or just crap tyres the ABS might well do very little as far as the tyres getting grip, 

as many find out.

If anyone thinks the ABS is not working or just to see how good it might be then find some safe space like an empty car park and at 50 mph try doing an emergency stop with just hitting the brake pedal.  Try it in the wet, try it on snow. 

For regular standard drivers the brakes are the first thing they hit when stuff starts to go wrong, these people need ABS because they panic brake when they don't need to.

For more advanced drivers the brakes are a last resort.

There are surprisingly few situations which require a full emergency stop, to be honest I can't remember the last time I needed to do one. However I see people braking inappropriately irrespective of road conditions every time I go out. I don't need ABS but you might. Sorry about that.

• Haha 1