Preconditioning Battery

Pol04

Hi All.....just picked up a new Enyaq 60 Sportline and love the car but i was wondering how you precondition the battery when the weather gets a little colder ?. I've Googled this but can't really find anything.

Any advice would be appreciated 

Thanks

37 minutes ago, Pol04 said:

Hi All.....just picked up a new Enyaq 60 Sportline and love the car but i was wondering how you precondition the battery when the weather gets a little colder ?. I've Googled this but can't really find anything.

Any advice would be appreciated 

Thanks

Do you mean as in keeping the battery at the optimal temp?

You dont do this, the car will control of it this itself and regulate the temperate of the cells automatically. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply....i meant is there a way to bring the battery up to temperature before leaving home on a cold morning. I'm just trying to maximise the range as much as i can

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pol04 said:

Thanks for the reply....i meant is there a way to bring the battery up to temperature before leaving home on a cold morning. I'm just trying to maximise the range as much as i can

As far as I have been able to work out, so far, the Enyaq doesn’t preheat the battery before leaving home. Preheating the interior whilst connected to your charger does at least save some battery power when you drive.

However it does seem that the latest software edition may do some kind of preheating, all the information I’ve found so far is fairly vague about what it actually does.

For it to do anything along the lines of preconditioning I think you will need to set a planned departure time. 

• Like 2

The ID. cars from VW get enhanced battery temperature management in cold weather with  V3.0 software. I expect Enyaq will get similar with version 3 too. 

In the meantime schedule any overnight charging to complete just before you leave as charging warms the battery. 

• Like 4

pre-ME3 setting departure time in app/infotainment when offgrid heats both battery and interior. If car is ongrid (connected to a charger) it won't heat battery, just interior. This behaviour is confirmed by several users who logged data overnight using OBD.

Edited by zice
  • Like 2

?

What is the point of pre-heating the battery using the energy in the battery, is it going to increase range?

Vehicles that can pre-heating the battery taking power from the mains is rather good for assisting the range. 

Edited by roottoot

2 hours ago, zice said:

pre-ME3 setting departure time in app/infotainment when offgrid heats both battery and interior. If car is ongrid (connected to a charger) it won't heat battery, just interior. This behaviour is confirmed by several users who logged data overnight using OBD.

I disagree with that. The battery is heated with the cabin, on/off grid. 

Watch this

https://fb.watch/fiju1RCuPu/

"If the car is connected to the charging station the battery will remain un-affected."  are her words.

So if the car is un-connected to the charger then a quick warm up of the interior / melting thawing the ice off the windows is 'Simply Clever', 

But pre heating the battery is just using battery power that you put in while it was connected to the charger. 

10 hours ago, roottoot said:

?

What is the point of pre-heating the battery using the energy in the battery, is it going to increase range?

the usual points of preheating battery are: 

1 to reduce consumption (therefore increase range) on short trips in cold weather - like city commute, slow traffic

2 to prepare it for accepting higher charge currents at fastchargers

@ManosD get an OBD reader, try yourself and let us know your findings

Fact is, when you set a departure time (in cold weather):

- ongrid: cabin heating starts ~30min before departure time

- offgrid: battery starts heating ~1h before departure time and cabin heating ~30min before

Example departure time set for 19:15

OFFGRID

ONGRID

Edited by zice

@Zinc i understand that as i drive EV's.

But heating a parked up cars battery using the battery before driving when not plugged in is saving nothing, but it does heat the cabin if you want that.

When like me you have a small battery you actually know how to hypermile them. 

Pre Heating a battery while parked to just then go on a charger to get a quicker charge with a pre heated battery is just stupid, but then anyone can do as they wish. 

Turning on the Car and clearing the Ice or starting it melting is simply clever, then starting the car before driving off does work.

Then you will be wanting to be putting that power back in and a heated battery when you reach the charger might make a difference.

But then the chargers can be putting out a pathetic power.

That is real world use. 

Lovely when you get plugged in, the heating up full and seat heating and the windows cracked open. 

DSCN5767.JPG.afbe6c8f8fbd4065a7dbea6adf4d42f1.jpeg

DSCN5770.JPG.05df8f06896b8a35eb6fb19f15d5ac84.jpeg

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1