Octavia Mk3 timing belt costs

Hi Cheesy, welcome to the forum. It's a judgement call really.

I had mine replaced at 6 years (very low miles) - I was tempted to take to 7 or 8 years, but I chickened out!

A consideration to make is that it is only Skoda UK that insists on 5 years - my understanding is that Seat, VW and Audi all specify longer periods - all with exactly the same engine.

Mine cost £436, including aux. belt and tensioner, at a largeish independent garage.

• Like 2

I put the details of a very similar cars into the erWin online digital service system a few days ago, it was a 2017 2L TDI in for service and 5 year cam belt. The Skoda DSS said the cam belt was due in 2036 or 240000 km, circa 150000 miles. So VAG Germany basically say the belt is good for 20 years but VAG UK say 5, a workshop filler…

RIP Queen Elisabeth II 

Edited by Crasher
  • Like 4

Had mine replaced around 2 years ago at 5 years and about 90k miles. This was prompted mainly by a failing water pump, I believe there are several threads about this. A local independent did the belt, pump and all other matters for £375.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickj633 said:

Had mine replaced around 2 years ago at 5 years and about 90k miles. This was prompted mainly by a failing water pump, I believe there are several threads about this. A local independent did the belt, pump and all other matters for £375.

That was a great price - especially including the water pump.

5 hours ago, Nickj633 said:

That is extremely cheap, mind you it was a few years ago. Most places charge around £6-800 for the job now including water pump.

I personally charge my customers just short of £450 if its for the 1.6 or 2.0 tdi engine including a new water pump and coolant replacement. (Watch out cause a lot of dealers will quote without water pump then add that on after)

EDIT:

Regarding actual time scales and everything - Skoda for the UK market recommend every 5 years.

Can it last longer? Probably

Will it last longer? Probably

Would I like to test it and find out? No thank you

I would stick to the 5 years personally and not try and scrimp on something that could end up costing a lot more in the long run.

Edited by ApertureS
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

That was a great price - especially including the water pump.

Worth pointing out that on the 1.4TSI and 1.5TSi the water pump doees NOT need changing when the timing belt is changed - it's on the other end of those engines to the timing belt and in the 6 years I've been active on briskoda and owning Octavias I can only recall one member reporting water pump failure of those engines.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

Worth pointing out that on the 1.4TSI and 1.5TSi the water pump doees NOT need changing when the timing belt is changed - it's on the other end of those engines to the timing belt and in the 6 years I've been active on briskoda and owning Octavias I can only recall one member reporting water pump failure of those engines.

The 1.4/1.5 TSI water pumps are fairly fool proof, Ive never changed one due to failure personally. Finally an engine they didnt put dodgy water pumps on :D

• Like 2

They are certainly looking much better.

So when we are @ 5 years old and more with more 1.5 TSI we will know how they are at over 5 years old.

There will always be some issues obviously as nothing can be 100% guaranteed to not have issues.

If they were VW Group might do 7 year warranties as standard, or even 6 year ones.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/506240-loosing-coolant

• Like 3

I've recently had my cam belt done @ a local independent simply because it was 5 & a bit years .     2.0 Diesel cambelt & kit including aux belt and water pump £462.

with just 52K miles on the clock was tempted leave it but decided not worth the risk.

• Like 1

I've just picked up my 2013 Octavia MkIII 1.4 TSi from getting its timing belt supplied and fitted: £305 inc vat. No water pump as not required.

Although the local Skoda garage said it should have been done after 5 years, it's never previously been changed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, c_heesypease said:

thanks all, very helpful

I might risk it for a few months yet. i'm currently coming up to 60k miles, I remember on an Alfa Giulietta I had it wasn't due until around 72k

Never base a timing belt off a different cars belt intervals. Different belts are made from different materials, under completely different stresses, different width so more load spread. Its not a one size fits all question and its a dangerous way to think about it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Boromonkey said:

I've just picked up my 2013 Octavia MkIII 1.4 TSi from getting its timing belt supplied and fitted: £305 inc vat. No water pump as not required.

Although the local Skoda garage said it should have been done after 5 years, it's never previously been changed. 

Hi Boro, great price - did that include the tensioner?

• Like 1

My 5 years is up in November so was currently pricing to have my timing belt replaced as well to play it safe despite only doing 30k miles . The local Skoda dealer is saying £780 to replace it and ones a bit further away are even more expensive £936 etc. This was all through trying to book on the Skoda website.

I went to a local independent garage for a price and they said they need a specific tool to remove my timing belt and I would have to go direct to Skoda which seems wrong from what everyone else has said about going to other garages. Currently waiting on other quotes to come back.

My car is a 2017 Octavia SE TSI 1.5.

Had the cambelt and water pump changed in September 2021 on my 2016 1.6tdi and was charged £600 at Skoda in Canterbury where the car has always been serviced. 

Have to say the old belt looked brand new. 

• Like 3

On 09/09/2022 at 09:09, Warrior193 said:

P.S. I retained the old belt and tensioner and gave them very careful inspection after removal - they both looked good enough to put back on!

1 hour ago, threadbear said:

Had the cambelt and water pump changed in September 2021 on my 2016 1.6tdi and was charged £600 at Skoda in Canterbury where the car has always been serviced. 

Have to say the old belt looked brand new. 

We've debated on here several times why Skoda UK say the cambelt should be chnaged after 5 years (or equivalent miles) when VW UK and Audi UK and other country importers either specify much longer time/mileage intervals or even 'lifetime' (whatever that means).

The more cynical members (me included) have suggested it's to provide a source of income for dealers, but I doubt we'll ever know as many of us (me included) are risk averse.

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

10 hours ago, Cskirving said:

My 5 years is up in November so was currently pricing to have my timing belt replaced as well to play it safe despite only doing 30k miles . The local Skoda dealer is saying £780 to replace it and ones a bit further away are even more expensive £936 etc. This was all through trying to book on the Skoda website.

I went to a local independent garage for a price and they said they need a specific tool to remove my timing belt and I would have to go direct to Skoda which seems wrong from what everyone else has said about going to other garages. Currently waiting on other quotes to come back.

My car is a 2017 Octavia SE TSI 1.5.

The 1.5tsi which is basically a 1.4tsi need a special tool to set up the valve timing. It’s very expensive and not many will invest in it for the small return. 

many people are quoting prices without the engine they have. Tdi are completely different to tsi timing belts.

but even so, the prices you’ve been quoted are exterosionate!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, robs12 said:

@ApertureS, what are your thoughts on the 1.4 TSi - both change interval (if you are willing to voice an opinion?) and cost - what do you charge roughly?

Personally ‘lifetime’ is a stupid term for these belts. Baffles me. 
personally I would be sticking to 100,000 miles and maybe 5/6 years at most.

regarding replacement costs - it’s hard to say as some vehicles have no variable timing, others have it on a single camshaft and some now have it on both. 
I have personally changed many of these without the official tool and just been very specific with my markings and timing and can comfortably say I’ll do them without the official stupidly priced tool.
I wouldn’t charge more than £400 that’s for sure - but can’t be more specific without a reg and vin.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Slightly late to the party but I had the belt changed on my old 2015 1.6 TDI at 133k after Skoda told me it was 140k intervals. The tensioners had become noisy so I dodged a serious bullet.

Cost was £375 including waterpump.

9 hours ago, gm73 said:

Slightly late to the party but I had the belt changed on my old 2015 1.6 TDI at 133k after Skoda told me it was 140k intervals. The tensioners had become noisy so I dodged a serious bullet.

Cost was £375 including waterpump.

That is incredibly cheap, who carried out the work?

Did they reuse the coolant?

did they fit the correct electronic water pump?

• Like 1

Taxi drivers do not charge customers the same fare as they did a few years back so mechanics can not be expected to either.

Then there is cash in hand or parts and labour & 20% vat so be considered, then location location location.

At least with Taxis and business's the servicing and maintenance is just another overhead to be taken into account before you pay tax on the profits. 

• Like 3

On 29/01/2023 at 08:05, ApertureS said:

That is incredibly cheap, who carried out the work?

Did they reuse the coolant?

did they fit the correct electronic water pump?

It was back in 2019 right enough, fresh coolant. Work carried out by an independant garage in Glasgow who mainly deal with Skodas. The electronic water pump didn't need replaced only the mechanical one along with the timing belt. In fact the car is on 220k now and still hasn't had the electronic water pump replaced.