2013 VRS - Brembo Discs/Pads - Opinions?

Morning all.

I’ve read through quite a few posts when searching but they were dated from a little while ago I’m just after some up to date opinions.

Just recently had my 2013 Facelift VRS in for a tyre repair (bloody great nail in a new tyre with only 1300 miles 🙄) when the tyre was off they advised the back discs were looking pretty shot and as it’s coming up for MOT in February I decided to get a quote for replacing rear discs and pads. 

Looking online at parts vs the garage quoted price I’ve decided to get the parts myself and just pay the garage labour to fit, having entered my reg number on Euro Car Parts I was quite surprised to see Brembo listed as a mid range price point option (I’ve always regarded Brembo as a mid-high end product) so placed an order for a pair of discs and pads, reading various reviews it sounds like Brembo still a solid choice for mid-range kit, would you say this is still correct? Does anyone have standard Brembo discs/pads on and how do you find them? I don’t track the car, I do very limited motorway and town driving.

I noticed from some of the posts a lot of different sizes being discussed depending on what year VRS you have. I’ve not had the car long but just went with what came up on the Euro Car Parts as recommended products, but this has just put a small amount of doubt that I might have ordered the wrong parts. Can anyone confirm that the products linked below are the correct parts for a 2013 Octavia Facelift or advise where I’d find the information to confirm.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/brembo-brake-disc-10444207A

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/brembo-brake-pad-10144117A

Thanks in advance for any opinions/pointers 

3 minutes ago, roottoot said:

I would say you are thinking of Brembo when there were a well respected product.

They are so so, and priced that way. 

Ahhh so more of a half decent mid range option these days? I must admit I was surprised initially to see them at that price point 

Try Zimmerman from AUTODOC and I would think yours being 2013 would be 340mm front  and 272 rears. 
front pads will be the bigger of the two listed. If you scroll thro the pics and specs for the pads on AUTODOC it’ll give you the sizes too.

must admit although people wings about brembo stuff I’ve never had a bad experience with their stuff and then I tried zimmerman because they have some nice performance stuff and I feel they are even better 

I had Brembo pads and disks once, and once only. Unfortunately I have to say I was extremely disappointed, and upon replacement, very concerned with their quality.

Despite proper bedding in as per Brembo‘s instructions, the disks warped easily with a few thousand miles of having them during normal driving. 

Secondly, and more worryingly, when I replaced them near the end of the pads life, I noticed the friction material had actually separated from the backing plate on all four pads. They were only held in place by chance and the pressure from the caliper. 

A mechanic friend of mine has also had similar issues with Brembo in recent years, particularly pads warping.  

I would never buy standard Brembo stuff again regardless of how cheap it was. 

I now have EBC pads and disks and haven’t had problems at all, they’re around 60% through their life now. 

When my discs and pads are in need of changing, I'll be getting EBC.

I'd swapped my old i20 with plain discs and green stuff pads, and it did make a noticeable difference. That did go on track days.

Thinking yellow stuff pads and slotted discs on my VRS.

On 23/10/2022 at 07:07, VoodooVRS said:

Morning all.

I’ve read through quite a few posts when searching but they were dated from a little while ago I’m just after some up to date opinions.

Just recently had my 2013 Facelift VRS in for a tyre repair (bloody great nail in a new tyre with only 1300 miles 🙄) when the tyre was off they advised the back discs were looking pretty shot and as it’s coming up for MOT in February I decided to get a quote for replacing rear discs and pads. 

Looking online at parts vs the garage quoted price I’ve decided to get the parts myself and just pay the garage labour to fit, having entered my reg number on Euro Car Parts I was quite surprised to see Brembo listed as a mid range price point option (I’ve always regarded Brembo as a mid-high end product) so placed an order for a pair of discs and pads, reading various reviews it sounds like Brembo still a solid choice for mid-range kit, would you say this is still correct? Does anyone have standard Brembo discs/pads on and how do you find them? I don’t track the car, I do very limited motorway and town driving.

I noticed from some of the posts a lot of different sizes being discussed depending on what year VRS you have. I’ve not had the car long but just went with what came up on the Euro Car Parts as recommended products, but this has just put a small amount of doubt that I might have ordered the wrong parts. Can anyone confirm that the products linked below are the correct parts for a 2013 Octavia Facelift or advise where I’d find the information to confirm.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/brembo-brake-disc-10444207A

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/brembo-brake-pad-10144117A

Thanks in advance for any opinions/pointers 

Those link products are correct, just take a look at this:

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/octavia/oct/2013-753/6/615-615062/#10

Whenever you want to buy something  you can use 7zap or any other online parts, so it's like:

1- selecting the make, year, model, engine

2- find the specific part

3- copy the part number 

4- paste it on ebay/amazon wherever 

Or, go directly to the store like europarts and then check with any online catalogue as I mentioned 

About brembo, they have all the range of products depending of your needs, from the Oem until the track products.

Next time you can consider also Ate or Zimmermann, I had both and they perform very well in terms of rotors, if you are thinking about improving your breaking power, certainly that will require you to focus more in the front brakes and probably in different pads, brake fluid and steel brake lines, considering your driving needs more than just the brand (brembo, trw, ebc, até, stoptech, hawk, ferodo, etc) because they all have the specific product depending of what you need, that's why sometimes you hear people saying "I bought some brembo pads and they are terrible", and the question here is "what model?, for daily use or track?". 

Regards! 

Edited by Felo

I would buy genuine TRW pads and discs from Autodoc. They are what are fitted from the factory and also alot cheaper than dealer prices. Also cheaper than most car part shops too.

Yeah, I've found brembo to be a mixed bag in recent years. Same as @FluffyEyeball - I had one warp on my Octavia as well. 

I put TRW's on the front of my van a couple of weeks/couple of thousand miles ago and I've been really happy with them. Good price too. 

Not sure I'd use autodoc again because their delivery times are a lottery, and I've been sent a cheap sensor from them when I paid for a branded one. I far prefer partsinmotion - fast delivery, decent prices and really helpful when you talk to them. 

Brembo are rubbish.

now to be more specific - Brembo hydraulic components are amazing and perfect. Brembo friction materials are not.

you’ll notice that even though manufacturers fit beautiful big brembo 4,6,8 piston calipers from the factory, they are very rarely paired with brembo pads and discs.

when it comes to aftermarket brembo stuff it just gets worse, they are often squeaky and noisy, generally people complain of a ‘clonk’ which relates to being loose in the carrier and a lot complain of heavy vibration after a while. There is a huge amount of data on this forum to back it up.

now if you want my recommendation for decent standard pads either pagid or TRW is what I’d go for.

• Like 1