Amundsen Mib2 Map Updates 2023/2024

Pass on what happens if you have the software adjusted to work with normal SD card rather than VAG cards with the VAG CID. You'd normally get a complaint that it wasn't a map card in that case but if you are running modded software it wouldn't. May be that's the effect. Out of region maps loaded in, would show you the country boundaries but not the roads on a working VAG card. Why I said zoom back till you see the borders.

Either way the card should be in Fat32 and 4096 cluster size. Mib2 standard which is what the unit is doesn't take to kindly to map cards reformatted in anything other than Fat32 and 4096. Seen issues where people format to NTFS and it doesnt work. QNX operating system so doesnt support all formats on all devices. Specifically mib2 standard maps have to be in Fat32, 4096 cluster size.

Attached is the VW pdf on the preperation of the file for the card. You use 7zip if using a PC or the built in Windows 10 or 11 right click on the zip file. Placement of the folders has to be correct and a blank card to start off with. Avoid reformat on VAG cards since they can be damaged, just delete all and copy back on.

Macs can / do dump garbage onto the copied folders so you use CleanMyDrive on the SD card (mentioned in the PDF) after unzipping. It's an issue with the mib2 high units which do a check before touching what is on the card. Mib2 standard less reported but could be that.

Discover_Media_MIB_Gen.2_June_2020_EN.pdf

@Tell So today I managed to run the maps from the 64gb USB stick, I downloaded the whole map   # ECE AS(A1) 2023/24        15.3 Gb 
 VW portal:   https://vw-maps-cdn.lighthouselabs.eu/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_2010_V17.7z

And I downloaded to a 16GB memory card and both work # ECE 3 2023/24  5.4 Gb
 VW portal:   https://vw-maps-cdn.lighthouselabs.eu/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU3_2010_V17.7z

Thanks for the advice bro.

326110100_1288451161703905_3925839534586134155_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

13 hours ago, Joco776 said:

Took a little time to pick it up off the USB, presume the USB port speed. That's my conundrum of which is best on the mib2 high updates SD or USB on the other thread when the high maps pop the 32gb limit. Going wait till that release. You don't really know the port speed of the USB or SD and indeed the bus speed of these units. On the high the maps gets copied over to a built in SSD whilst the standard unit run off the SD or in your case modded firmware the USB.

yes i modified the unit to support the virtual cockpit so i converted it from 0253 to 0480 and unlocked a few things. The only problem it has is that the sounds of the left-right and right-left speakers have been swapped, both in the front and in the back. But this does not affect the functionality.

326440965_702824158206891_4198591710996125694_n.jpg

2 hours ago, Tell said:

Took a little time to pick it up off the USB, presume the USB port speed. That's my conundrum of which is best on the mib2 high updates SD or USB on the other thread when the high maps pop the 32gb limit. Going wait till that release. You don't really know the port speed of the USB or SD and indeed the bus speed of these units. On the high the maps gets copied over to a built in SSD whilst the standard unit run off the SD or in your case modded firmware the USB.

the first loading was long, but when I get into the vehicle, the map starts up immediately

• Love it! 1

6 minutes ago, Joco776 said:

the first loading was long, but when I get into the vehicle, the map starts up immediately

Generally when the maps are loaded in the first time there is a delay. Think it writes new FeCs in, how on Seats you get a collection of FeCs when you use the "workaround" for Mapcare that isn't required on Skoda and VW so there is a first time day. You do have the 20 minute power on after turning off and if the infotainment system is left on, unlocking starts the process. Probably enjoying that one.

• Love it! 1

On 29/12/2022 at 18:21, SyossuPL said:

Update on the full EU map compressed in 16GB.
I did some in depth testing and drove over 3000 km using it.
In a few words - it works 99% of the time like a normal map.
Things that you are missing with the "super compressed map":
- PIO location and icons

- some icons of accidents that are NOT on your route

- most colors of traffic jams not on your route (still visible tho, but not as red/yellow/etc)

Of course 1 language only :)

Except that works perfectly and you still have 12 bites of free space on your SD :D

If you are interested in testing it out let me know :) 

Can you explain me all ? :)

44 minutes ago, Imperatorpg said:

Can you explain me all ? /cdn-cgi/mirage/ff14bb65349620dd8a8dc19b8377c1c54d9d2908aeb5f1cd0176a72ac7c06734/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/emoticons/emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Joco's situation was compounded by using a firmware update off train and customer stuff so I reckon that element is off topic here. The rest was presentation of the map file. In his case on the USB which is the custom bit. You use the Vag SD card normally and all works if presented correctly.

On 22/02/2023 at 14:23, Tell said:

Joco's situation was compounded by using a firmware update off train and customer stuff so I reckon that element is off topic here. The rest was presentation of the map file. In his case on the USB which is the custom bit. You use the Vag SD card normally and all works if presented correctly.

I have 16GB VW original card but newest map cant fit on it. So, i tought if somebody advice me what files I can delete that remain functional maps and fit on 16GB card. Thanks

2 hours ago, Imperatorpg said:

I have 16GB VW original card but newest map cant fit on it. So, i tought if somebody advice me what files I can delete that remain functional maps and fit on 16GB card. Thanks

You just buy a 32gb vag card off ebay, Skoda, VW or Seat. Deleting files is a hack and it will catch up with you as the cartography and POIs expand. However if you are tight for money / don't believe in wasting things this was the method reported on the last release:

It could be that this no longer works as the growth in data has caught up with it.

When VAG became aware that the all Europe map was going to out grow the 16gb mib2 card they gave ample warning by about two years. That is why they released the zones so you pick the zone you drive in. They also released the 32gb card. Reckon it's been about 5+ years since they originally gave the indication that the all Europe map would breach the 16gb card. Three or so  years since it did. 

The original hack for people who were tight or just wanted to experiment was to delete all language files other than their own. As expected this hack became not enough. So more aggressive hacking was required. Either way it's going to catch up with you as the cartography growth is quicker than what can be hacked out as not required. Saying that the mib2 releases probably only has a couple of more years to run based on the 5 year support cycle that VAG operates on past map files.

Always advice buy a 32gb Vag card if you are planning to drive across all regions of Europe or just use one of the zoned regions. For the vast majority of people that will be fine. Only if you holiday or your work takes you across the zoned regions do you need the 32gb card. 

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

none of these software codes/version look anything like the most recent amundsen version you list below although it was supposed to be update quite recently where am I going wrong 

1043119041_20230529_1244501.thumb.jpg.d41185420c03a414494f5c066390f924.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2023 at 07:50, MartiniB said:

2010 are previous 2023/2024

what interesting -

Škoda's EU1 is still packed into 'zip' as previous,

but all others packed now into '7z'

• 3 weeks later...

Have you got North African maps already ?.

You take a copy of what you have as a fall back and try. If it's a mib2 standard Audi it may use a type of mapcare. The Seat workaround may work. I've never heard of it being used on Audi. Skoda and VW don't need it since they were kind to customers. Audi aren't so.

If you have a European unit and you want non European maps and it's a mib2 standard then the link may help. Either way you must back up any official SD cards so you can recover from any experiments. Some joint working between Seat and the VW Transporter board got European import VAG cars working outside Europe and US VW import to Europe working on European maps. Esoteric once you deploy the Seat workaround which you needed on VWs at this level. More uptodate units became more fussy with the original T6 transporter method. Think they were mib2.5.

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/resources/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-lost-mib1-card-solution.60/

Edited by Tell

22 minutes ago, Fatal1ty39 said:

no unfortunately Audi didn't release North African map, I was wondering if there is a method to port the VW-Skoda maps to Audi.

my unit is equipped with MIB2 High Scale(Two SDCARDS only no usb)

If it's really a mib2 high you need the other link to the Columbus. ROW, then you need the FeC update and you have to use mib tools to update the FeC for the Row. Conversation on a previous release I had with an Australian.

It's Audi navigation FeC that stop you from updating the maps same as Seat one's on the mib2 high. Assuming it's really a mib2 high. Read back posts of the release. The mib tool will sort this out but out of the box gives you European FeCs. You edit in the RoW FeC and update. Then load maps.

I pointed you to this release of the maps which would appear to be the correct release for the unit. If you check North Africa isn't on the maps.

There may be a chance that some of North Africa is in the maps and the documentation is not correct. "Herewego" app shows what is in the Here Map cartography database but of course this may not be used by the developers that generate the final files for VAG. You wont know this until the maps are loaded up. You could ask a board that uses ROW to look at North Africa. That link above is used mostly for European users.  So this link you are posting on is for the wrong map series. Suggest you ask on an Australian Audi board before you embark on changing anything.

The mib helper web site is developed by enthusiasts as documentation, you really need an enthusiast Audi board where you can ask for assistance. The ROW navigation FeC is critical to get the unit working. Thus you can chase down the other Columbus link similar to the one above where I had the previous conversation. A set of button pushed will show your current FeCs you see whether the mib2 high RoW navigation FeC on yours is a life long navigation FeC. Import units may well be the European FeC. A check will reveal. As I said I did help a past Australian with an import unit get there unit on RoW. It is all on this board but shown under a different period release of the Columbus maps. Another Audi owner that popped up here.

Either way the work is technical and you are dealing with high value units which you can mess up.

• 1 month later...