Amundsen Mib2 Map Updates 2024

4 hours ago, del68 said:

just a quick question which is the diffrent with columbus and amundsen maps

You have to use the one that matches the infotainment system you have as they are not interchangeable.

Many thanks, I'll D/L it shortly.

Update: D/L'd, expanded, transferred, installed and working just fine!  Many thanks. 

Edited by BionicJohn
Update

Downloaded the AS version and installed on 32GB SD card, all working great.

Shame the map of the new estate I live on is still about 2 years out of date!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, could anyone please explain why this thread was created separately from the one linked below?

Surely we are not already onto 2024 maps given we're not even halfway through 2023? Is it the manufacturer that is calling them 2024 maps?

If these are the latest versions, why is this thread not pinned and the other one unpinned?

Thanks!

It's the naming convention that VAG use. 2110 is the release code for the June 2023 release. Any code lower and they are older maps.  VAG did introduce an ambiguity in their naming convention but if you go by the release code you won't be wrong. Skoda themselves release six months later. So the November release will be the June release of Vag. Like heated up old bread of old, fresh bread cooked six months ago. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tell said:

It's the naming convention that VAG use. 2110 is the release code for the June 2023 release. Any code lower and they are older maps.  VAG did introduce an ambiguity in their naming convention but if you go by the release code you won't be wrong. Skoda themselves release six months later. So the November release will be the June release of Vag. Like heated up old bread of old, fresh bread cooked six months ago. 

Very helpful, thank you. 

I have 1910 right now, so 2110 would be an upgrade I suppose. I'm also very slightly hopeful that it might include a fix for the traffic updates as covered in the rather long thread I started in this sub forum. Very unlikely, I know. 

1 hour ago, joek666 said:

Surely we are not already onto 2024 maps given we're not even halfway through 2023? Is it the manufacturer that is calling them 2024 maps?

It the VAG naming convention:

In late Spring they issue maps that cross over 2 years, so this year it's 2023/2024 maps.

In late Autumn of the year before they issue maps for the next year, so in Autumn 2023 they will issue 2024 maps.

The year naming of the maps doesn't indicate when the map data is frozen, for example I moved into my house on my new build estate in April 2022 (other residents moved in nearly a year earlier) but the 2023/2024 maps still don't show the road that I and nearly 60 other houses are on!

56 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

It the VAG naming convention:

In late Spring they issue maps that cross over 2 years, so this year it's 2023/2024 maps.

In late Autumn of the year before they issue maps for the next year, so in Autumn 2023 they will issue 2024 maps.

The year naming of the maps doesn't indicate when the map data is frozen, for example I moved into my house on my new build estate in April 2022 (other residents moved in nearly a year earlier) but the 2023/2024 maps still don't show the road that I and nearly 60 other houses are on!

They also changed away from the mib2 high naming convention a few years back so the xxxx/yyyy was the same but isn't anymore so with the standard and high only best to talk in the release code rather than the year one... Any how for me else I say the wrong stuff mixing the standard and high naming convention. That came about when the standard maps were not published at a six month period. Then Skoda moved onto the six month lag. Neither Skoda or Seat can you trust to publish the latest release, only VW does and this release is the one laying on their servers waiting for the web page for June to be linked to it.

Joek666 you can register on the TomTom site and tell them about missing roads and mistakes. Mib2 standard maps are TomTom. Mib2 high and Mib3 are Here Maps cartography. I tell them about all local developments then you get the publishing lag of 6 months or so. Many I've told both companies are now in. If I hadn't of told them they wouldn't have been in. I don't tell Google since they are refusing to remove a local farm track that people use as a public road. It's mud and cuts into no through road where a delivery driver using that route ran over a dog. I've got that off the other mapping systems. Some home Charlie mappers enter farm tracks as roads and they get incorrectly published.

The council planning maps managed by Ordance Survey are the defacto street maps with features. They are commercial maps that OS sell in digital form but since they cost cartography companies in the UK don't use them and don't validate against them. It's those maps that you can browse if you know where to look which reveal features the armchair mappers miss, like bollard in roads to stop cars. They don't tell you road speeds or direction of traffic but do reveal statuary public roads and house numbers etc. Used by the post office in their postcode house numbering system. The council annotate house numbers, post office allocate the postcode and grid reference. All part of the geo information system in the UK. They contain the land use, planning orders etc.

Edited by Tell

Or Seat. It uses a CID which it identifies it as a valid VAG card. It's how they generate income. Those who are too lazy to use their old issued card buy a new one and VAG gets income from it. If it's bust and they do wear out you but a new one and VAG gets income.

You can hack the unit to use normal SD cards but probably not worth it. You'll see Mr Fixit shove normal SD cards in the unit after its been hacked, but hacking only works with certain firmware. Mr Fixit gets his income off YouTube videos by publishing dubious methods. 

Best to stick with the VAG cards.

CID:

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/sd-memory-card-faq/reading-sd-card-cid-serial-psn-internal-numbers/

With the correct card you can write your own CID but those cards cost more than the genuine card. Did it once for the hell of it. You need a "gold card". This is where you need to be careful with eBay sellers they may be using cheap Chinese gold cards in a scam. Where you need to check the star rating. You only need to buy a new card when it gives up the ghost or want a 32gb card if yours is the old 16gb.

• 2 months later...

All the VAG satnav files should be interchangeable, but yet file tree is different (DL'd VW version) and there's no DBInfo.txt file in the updated package like in original 16/17 had on its card (Octavia)

Does it still work, even if the file structure is different?

1 hour ago, OeschMe said:

All the VAG satnav files should be interchangeable, but yet file tree is different (DL'd VW version) and there's no DBInfo.txt file in the updated package like in original 16/17 had on its card (Octavia)

Does it still work, even if the file structure is different?

NVM I have the older unit (MSTD). Found solution via mib-helper.

Well the dbinfo.txt file is there. I haven't seen it not there. It's where it displays the brands serial release part number whilst the xxxx map release is present.

It's in MartiniB's link I downloaded so no issue. 

• 3 months later...

I managed to get DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_2110_V18 working on my Golf 7.5 2019 Discover Media with 16 GB VAG SD card by doing below changes to the package. Hopefully following can be applied to other MIB2 platforms.

Removing unnecessary brand folders and files from mapcfg-folder and extra languages from sds-folder was not enough to make the package fit to the 16 GB card. Unluckily the navigation did not run if files were brutely deleted from region nds-folders. Instead of deleting files from nds-folders I decided to replace big files of irrelevant (to me) region with smaller files of some other region. This seemed to keep the system satisfied and so far the navigation has worked normally. When the next update comes and the package grows even bigger I will probably just select a second not-so-relevant region to tamper with.

Delete:

\maps\00\cfg\mapcfg\SEAT
\maps\00\cfg\mapcfg\SKODA
\maps\00\cfg\mapcfg\se_default.cfg
\maps\00\cfg\mapcfg\sk_default.cfg
\maps\00\sds\ - all folders except FI, SE and GB

\maps\00\nds\PRODUCT\E10\ROUTING.NDS

Copy:

\maps\00\nds\PRODUCT\E13\ROUTING.NDS to folder \maps\00\nds\PRODUCT\E10\

Depending on your own region you can choose to replace the ROUTING.NDS of some other region. For me E10 was the most irrelevant and ROUTING.NDS from E13 was small enough to get the package to fit the SD card. I found the region codes from: https://www.skodacommunity.de/threads/navikarten-update-q1-2022-release-2023-fuer-mib1-mib2.103181/page-186

• Like 1

Dancing on a pin. Reckon 32gb card off ebay is a lot easier. As the maps increase in size as more detail is digitised fiddling to get it to work becomes more tricky with each release. 

There are tricks you can do to fit RoW maps onto European cards and vice versa for export cars and infotainment units which are a god send for people with these units but other than that. Quite an export market of European cars to North Africa, Middle East. Some to Australia and I've come across a US Golf brought to France.

The VW one any time soon. All eyes on MartiniB. I've been checking the German Skoda board, they have not found the file link yet. Unless there is a delay it should be arriving in the next week or so.

• Like 3