MK3 245 vrs reliability? Skoda still quality?

Must haves imo: front and rear parking sensors, alcantara seats and auto dimming mirrors all round - I genuinely miss this when driving our other car. 

VAQ diff is nice the 3 times per month its engaged! 

I don't get on with DSG so went for manual. Would have definitely gone for a TC auto if it existed!

13 minutes ago, Swirly182 said:

Must haves imo: front and rear parking sensors, alcantara seats and auto dimming mirrors all round - I genuinely miss this when driving our other car. 

VAQ diff is nice the 3 times per month its engaged! 

I don't get on with DSG so went for manual. Would have definitely gone for a TC auto if it existed!

Is it only engaged with sport mode :0 

If you mean the VAQ, then no.  If it had no VAQ it is XDS+ fitted.   Nothing special really.  Still needs good tyres on the car and traction with the road.   The NSL is 60 mph anyway where there are corners on single carriage way roads.   A Fabia without XDS takes corners much the same. 

Edited by toot

15 minutes ago, toot said:

If you mean the VAQ, then no.  If it had no VAQ it is XDS+ fitted.   Nothing special really.  Still needs good tyres on the car and traction with the road.   The NSL is 60 mph anyway where there are corners on single carriage way roads.   A Fabia without XDS takes corners much the same. 

I guess I meant the VAQ is mechanical right, and is on 24/7 where as the XDS is software? Too me it seems like a real solid improvement in engineering. But It seems by everyone reactions it's really not that important for the average fast driver haha 

18 minutes ago, Mattyboy91 said:

I guess I meant the VAQ is mechanical right, and is on 24/7 where as the XDS is software?

A proper LSD would be the mechanical solution and is always 'on'.

I'd consider the VAQ to be an electro-mechanical solution. It can adjust the amount of pressure in the clutch pack and therefore transfer varying levels of torque depending what the control module deems necessary.

- Sometimes it'll be completely 'off' and the diff will function like an traditional open diff

- Sometimes it'll be completely 'on' and will act more like a mechanic LSD (the VAQ does have a limit to the torque it can transfer)

- Most of the time it'll probably be between the two depending on driving conditions and driving style

Different driving modes will change the VAQ operating parameters. In sport mode, I'd expect it to have more preload and react more quickly/aggressively to help with dynamic driving demands. :)

XDS is indeed software, it basically brakes the inside (rear?) wheel to help control understeer. 

EDL is another software solution (electronic diff lock) which relies on the brakes to slow a spinning wheel and transfer torque through an open diff.

I would expect a non-VAQ vRS to use both EDL and XDS/XDS+ to help control understeer. Obviously when applying the brakes to control the car, it will slow down fractionally. I think it was worth 8.5s around the Nürburgring but I doubt that translates well into a supermarket trip :D

Random video that might help explain what a VAQ is:

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, langers2k said:

A proper LSD would be the mechanical solution and is always 'on'.

I'd consider the VAQ to be an electro-mechanical solution. It can adjust the amount of pressure in the clutch pack and therefore transfer varying levels of torque depending what the control module deems necessary.

- Sometimes it'll be completely 'off' and the diff will function like an traditional open diff

- Sometimes it'll be completely 'on' and will act more like a mechanic LSD (the VAQ does have a limit to the torque it can transfer)

- Most of the time it'll probably be between the two depending on driving conditions and driving style

Different driving modes will change the VAQ operating parameters. In sport mode, I'd expect it to have more preload and react more quickly/aggressively to help with dynamic driving demands. :)

XDS is indeed software, it basically brakes the inside (rear?) wheel to help control understeer. 

EDL is another software solution (electronic diff lock) which relies on the brakes to slow a spinning wheel and transfer torque through an open diff.

I would expect a non-VAQ vRS to use both EDL and XDS/XDS+ to help control understeer. Obviously when applying the brakes to control the car, it will slow down fractionally. I think it was worth 8.5s around the Nürburgring but I doubt that translates well into a supermarket trip :D

Random video that might help explain what a VAQ is:

I want the VAQ 😜 although well see, Tesco loans department is yet to phone me back lol. 

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Re VAQ - the speed at which you can exit a roundabout in the dry is pretty impressive. It just pulls you round. Occasionally I find it almost too aggressive and end up veering towards the LHS of the road. Having had powerful FWDs that understeer I would say for the odd occasion it steps in, it is worth it. You can control it's level of input in the drive mode settings. 

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

21 minutes ago, Swirly182 said:

Re VAQ - the speed at which you can exit a roundabout in the dry is pretty impressive. It just pulls you round. Occasionally I find it almost too aggressive and end up veering towards the LHS of the road. Having had powerful FWDs that understeer I would say for the odd occasion it steps in, it is worth it. You can control it's level of input in the drive mode settings. 

It's great with some care. Too aggressive with the throttle and both front wheels will let go and you're heading for the other side of the road. 

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

Morning guys I'm back with more questions!

Hunts not going great TBH, I've found one with the spec but its red 😞 

But my question is GPF's are there any issues around these developing?

Reading about GPF's im getting that emission scandal vibe. 

Cheers.

Edited by Mattyboy91

Derran Brown has left the building.     There are beginning to be issues with early VW TSI,s with GPF,s.    Small capacity so far.  Lockdown / COVID and lack of use or just short cold start trips maybe.     If there is issues at 5 years and on with 2.0 TSI,s it will be the next big VW ball-s up.        As it is nobody is giving the price of replacing the GPF,s.  Maybe someone knows how much main dealers will be charging if the need comes.  

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Mattyboy91 said:

Cheers.

This is a problem I encountered when buying my Octavia. Buying in 2020, I didn't even know GPFs existed, so I was surprised to learn my car had one.

I've not seen many reports of GPF issues, though this may be an interesting read for you.

https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/gasoline-particulate-filter/how-to-fix-exhaust-filter-limit-reached-drive-to-clean-now-ford-gpf-filter

But generally, I've not really seen any issues with GPF until I went looking for them. DPF issues are a bit more likely, but still hit and miss.

Some people report no issues, and others having no end of bother with their DPF. I have a friend with a remapped 2013 BMW 330D with 80+k miles on it and he hasn't had any DPF bother at all. That said, he does seem to race around like the police are chasing him, which I understand DPFs are agreeable to, if not other road users.

• Love it! 1

The 1.0TSI's that are maybe starting to get a bit filled up might be showing a bit of a high tick over.

This might be an issue on a icy road with cold car, cold brakes, cold tyres, cold  driver.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/508507-car-accelerates-quickly-when-cold-and-has-a-high-idle-if-you-switch-off-and-restart

VW / Skoda tell you about GPF's if you look. 

Sometime Dealership staff will be more aware about them.

• Love it! 1

1 hour ago, EnterName said:

This is a problem I encountered when buying my Octavia. Buying in 2020, I didn't even know GPFs existed, so I was surprised to learn my car had one.

I've not seen many reports of GPF issues, though this may be an interesting read for you.

https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/gasoline-particulate-filter/how-to-fix-exhaust-filter-limit-reached-drive-to-clean-now-ford-gpf-filter

But generally, I've not really seen any issues with GPF until I went looking for them. DPF issues are a bit more likely, but still hit and miss.

Some people report no issues, and others having no end of bother with their DPF. I have a friend with a remapped 2013 BMW 330D with 80+k miles on it and he hasn't had any DPF bother at all. That said, he does seem to race around like the police are chasing him, which I understand DPFs are agreeable to, if not other road users.

Reading that gone are the days of Italian tuneups to unclog things. I suppose they can't be seen to promote aggressive C02 producing driving along with advancements in technology ensuring it should be part of standard day to day driving of the car. 

I drive like a granny 90% of the time at the moment, combination of commuting and trying to save money after having a baby. Although I do try and go for a spirited drive on the local B roads at least once in awhile to justify owning a VRS.

Edited by Dooge
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1

1 hour ago, EnterName said:

Cheers, yeah I saw this I was abit worried. My past experiences with Skoda dpfs have not been great so when I hear petrol gpf, my backs up, again. I'm in the ulez zone so I need to future proof myself, but I don't want to bankrupt myself. 

2 hours ago, toot said:

Derran Brown has left the building.     There are beginning to be issues with early VW TSI,s with GPF,s.    Small capacity so far.  Lockdown / COVID and lack of use or just short cold start trips maybe.     If there is issues at 5 years and on with 2.0 TSI,s it will be the next big VW ball-s up.        As it is nobody is giving the price of replacing the GPF,s.  Maybe someone knows how much main dealers will be charging if the need comes.  

The thing is I'm not sure that Skoda care about the scandal too me I worry this is technology problem and Skoda/vw are doing panicked quick fixes to hit regs. I am generally less worried about a gpf, but still worried lol. 

16 minutes ago, Mattyboy91 said:

The thing is I'm not sure that Skoda care about the scandal too me I worry this is technology problem and Skoda/vw are doing panicked quick fixes to hit regs. I am generally less worried about a gpf, but still worried lol. 

I feel your angst.

Take your time and the right car will show up.

As for the emissions scandal, I was very much on team VAG for that. If they managed to find away of giving the customer the performance and economy they wanted, while also allowing their cars to pass the emissions tests, I don't have a problem with that.

I would be surprised if some (if not most?) remaps of TDI engines don't do exactly the same thing, and have a "test" mode to allow remapped cars to pass the MOT emissions test.

But maybe that's just me being cynical.

6 minutes ago, EnterName said:

I feel your angst.

Take your time and the right car will show up.

As for the emissions scandal, I was very much on team VAG for that. If they managed to find away of giving the customer the performance and economy they wanted, while also allowing their cars to pass the emissions tests, I don't have a problem with that.

I would be surprised if some (if not most?) remaps of TDI engines don't do exactly the same thing, and have a "test" mode to allow remapped cars to pass the MOT emissions test.

But maybe that's just me being cynical.

I think you are right. Upping boost, fueling, etc must have a negative effect on emissions. VAG were caught first but you now see adverts for legal action against Volvo, Ford, Renault, Nissan, Fiat and Mercedes Benz. Pretty sure Mitsubishi have already been through the legal mill with emissions too.

Most car manufacturers have already stressed that up and coming emissions targets are too strict and not viable as well which just speeds up the push to electric and increases the chances of manufacturers cheating.

• Like 1

They cheated not for the sake of customers but for the Owners of German Car Manufacturers.  Daimler Benz, Mercedes and VW because when. AdBlue systems were required the tanks were going to have to be too big.   The European Authorities let it be.  That included the UK that were well aware of defeat devices before late 2015.      Ps. Stefan Jacoby the CEO of VW North America up to 2010 was a VW insider, then head of Geely/Volvo then GM.  Many like him who are supposedly deaf, dumb and blind are still there heading whatever in the car industry.   They never went to jail, that was just for minions. 

PS. Stefan Jacoby now a Non executive director at McLaren Group.    Worth watching him back in 2008 launching GREEN TDI,s in the USA.    Worth looking where he was from starting with VW to leaving, returning, leaving again. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mattyboy91 said:

Cheers.

The mk3 Octavia vRS TSI engines fitted with GPF's are also direct injection only, so if you intend to keep it for a long time then it may need the backs of the valves cleaning due to carbon build up.

The ones without GPF's are direct and indirect injection, so shouldn't need this, or not as often.

But the GPF cars do keep the exhaust tips cleaner  🧐

Am I correct in recalling that the launch edition (or what it's referred to as) 245, so 2018 models, didn't have the GPF, or was that something else? If so, might be worth keeping that in mind if the age/budget suits what you're looking for. 

8 hours ago, ScottyNS said:

Am I correct in recalling that the launch edition (or what it's referred to as) 245, so 2018 models, didn't have the GPF, or was that something else? If so, might be worth keeping that in mind if the age/budget suits what you're looking for. 

There does seem to be an in-between point. I'm not quite sure the years I noticed 2019 seem to have it mentioned alot while the 2018s don't. Can they just make one car please lol 🤣

The cars that were delayed for import to the UK and first registration in 2018 was when the WLTP was introduced in September 2018 and VW / Skoda had models / engines not WLTP Certificated.

So no idea what that means as far as pre September 2018 first registrations.

When were the 2.0 TSI's without a GPF built and then First Registered by, are they going to be before September 2018 and any after that will have WLTP Certification?

?

What is the Co2 g/km for those without a GPF and those with, are they the same?

Only asking because really i do not know.

EDIT.

Losing my memory....  It seems i used to know.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/500194-do-all-tsi-engines-in-mk4-have-a-gpf

• Love it! 1

34 minutes ago, toot said:

The cars that were delayed for import to the UK and first registration in 2018 was when the WLTP was introduced in September 2018 and VW / Skoda had models / engines not WLTP Certificated.

So no idea what that means as far as pre September 2018 first registrations.

When were the 2.0 TSI's without a GPF built and then First Registered by, are they going to be before September 2018 and any after that will have WLTP Certification?

?

What is the Co2 g/km for those without a GPF and those with, are they the same?

Only asking because really i do not know.

EDIT.

Losing my memory....  It seems i used to know.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/500194-do-all-tsi-engines-in-mk4-have-a-gpf

Cheers for sending that, reading that thread though has filled me with dread lol. I'm going to find out where the gpf is located, if it's at the back of the engine again and needs the whole sub frame dropping I'm out.