Fabia mk1 front LED bulb turn light?

djordje48

Hi guys, has anyone managed to put the LED bulbs into turn signals in front?

When I put them in back, all ok, flashing ok. If I put them in front, then both 4 turn signals die..

I can easily put all 4 cree led chinese aliiexpress bulbs in turn signals to my fabia mk2 and no probs, all 4 lights flashing extremly good!

Do I need a resistor or something?

I bought these, they are working nice in rear headlights and also work in fabia mk2 botj in front and in rear:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32788344396.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.14d93280hVs8iR&algo_pvid=67008851-9d1b-45bf-ba87-e192382ded12&algo_exp_id=67008851-9d1b-45bf-ba87-e192382ded12-9&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"67055692430"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!RSD!3116.2!2492.96!!!!!%402101e9d316709420911753581e654a!67055692430!sea&curPageLogUid=O55bfl2pZ9av

Edited by djordje48

• djordje48 changed the title to Fabia mk1 front LED bulb turn light?
6 hours ago, djordje48 said:

Do I need a resistor or something?

Yes. You need a resistance to make indicators flash at the correct circa 1Hz rate. If, for example, a normal front bulb blows, the rear bulb on that side will flash at more like 2Hz.

2 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Yes. You need a resistance to make indicators flash at the correct circa 1Hz rate. If, for example, a normal front bulb blows, the rear bulb on that side will flash at more like 2Hz.

Nice point..do I need two resitors on both sides of the car? I noticed that if I put a led into front left led turn light then rear left turn light dies..

Similar, if I put a LED into front right turn light then rear right dies..

But if I put led into front left then rear right wont die..

I will check the frequency of flashing if I pull out one front normal bulb out...

11 minutes ago, djordje48 said:

Nice point..do I need two resitors on both sides of the car?

The standard bulbs supply a resistance value; unless the units you're fitting are explicitly designed, then they don't.

12 minutes ago, djordje48 said:

Nice point..do I need two resitors on both sides of the car? I noticed that if I put a led into front left led turn light then rear left turn light dies..

I will check the frequency of flashing if I pull out one front normal bulb out...

Jesus, just put the bulbs back in already, this is so tiresome!

• Like 2

I'm usually one for 'find the solution using the items you want to fit', but I do fail to see the point of LED indicator bulbs. Good quality replacement halogen bulbs are rather good, and bright too. Fuss free, you just fit them and off they go.

There may be a solution that will allow you to use the LED bulbs, but until then, it's worthwhile just not creating a mountain oot of a molehill and using standard bulbs. Just my two cents and that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, djordje48 said:

As far as I recall, the flashing frequency on this car isn't actually changed by a bulb being busted, it does make the telltale LED in the cluster flash faster (I think?) and the ticking noise double-speed to alert you though. The indicators are all powered by one two-channel solid-state device on the PCB of the onboard supply control unit.

All three bulbs on each side are wired in parallel with each other, so the overall parallel resistance of each three is what is monitored.

I have to agree that is an utterly pointless mod though.

Edited by Breezy_Pete
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I'm usually one for 'find the solution using the items you want to fit', but I do fail to see the point of LED indicator bulbs. Good quality replacement halogen bulbs are rather good, and bright too. Fuss free, you just fit them and off they go.

There may be a solution that will allow you to use the LED bulbs, but until then, it's worthwhile just not creating a mountain oot of a molehill and using standard bulbs. Just my two cents and that.

Nice point my friend, but I am LED drug addict. I changed incadescent bulb in every cornernof my house including the refrigerator and the freezer.

Absolutely no incadescent bulb is allowed!😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

As far as I recall, the flashing frequency on this car isn't actually changed by a bulb being busted, it does make the telltale LED in the cluster flash faster (I think?) and the ticking noise double-speed to alert you though. The indicators are all powered by one two-channel solid-state device on the PCB of the onboard supply control unit.

All three bulbs on each side are wired in parallel with each other, so the overall parallel resistance of each three is what is monitored.

I have to agree that is an utterly pointless mod though.

Correct. In my mk2 fabia, all 4 turn signals are flashing cool, like om the newest fabia mk4. But the control unit is ticking 2x faster and the signal in the dasboard. It has been like that since 2014, nothing died, passing MOT always, no problmes having the ticking bomb im the car😂

• Haha 1

Attached is the indicator chip datasheet. I think it has current sensing of its outputs which is how it knows if something's changed.

If you really want everything to work nicely with your LEDs you probably should measure each channel's output current with the correct bulbs in, then add parallel resistors between each output and earth to get the same currents with your LEDs in place.

The outputs from the onboard supply control unit going to right and left indicators are from connector XS6 pin 14 and pin 16 respectively. Each feeds its front, side and rear indicator bulb.

Indicator chip BTS540L.pdf

Edited by Breezy_Pete
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

These bulbs solved the problem! I cant believe! No resitor needed! They work in all 4 turn signals both in fabia mk1 pre FL and FL! I am happy as a child with a lolipop😃

€ 4,60  26%OFF | 2pcs 1156 BA15S P21W BAU15S PY21W 7440 W21W P21/5W 1157 BAY15D 7443 3157 LED Bulbs 144smd CanBus Lamp Reverse Turn Signal Light
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0p9svu

• Like 1