Superb Sportline or L&K 272 or 280

Long time member currently own a 260k mile Octy 2 1.9TDI manual  and 150k S2 170 TDI DSG Elegance combi with L&K extras. 
Been looking for a while at something special and noticed a few cars come and go. Prices in general are really strong. Have followed the S3 forum for a while to get a feel of things. Memory does not serve so looking for advice.

What’s the difference between the 272 and 280 except the obvious 8 horses?

Does one have 7 speed vs 6 speed DSG?

A 220 would be plenty for me but they are quite rare, plus I like the idea of a sleeper. 

I know this has likely been done to death Sportline or L&K, personally I like the look of the Sportline but some of the L&K toys?

Things I personally do want 

Canton from people on here is a must 

Heated front screen, have one now

DCC again from people on here, plenty to go wrong also though?

I love the twin rear chrome tailpipes look of the Sportline 

Like the idea of a sunroof, just no leaks etc. 

I don’t do big miles anymore so can take the hit if I need to drive 200 miles once or twice a month, plus can use one of the existing diesels, because one will go. 

I have seen a grey 272 lurking on the trader, oddly it’s hanging around not sure why, it’s a nice spec maybe an ex demo. 

Any advice any issues to look for?

I can see we have some expert members on here. Apologies didn’t leave anyone out on purpose and if I shout the wrong member out. 

@ColinD master of all things Brisky, did you ever make the plunge?

@Esseesse200

@shyvrs245 I can’t tag you for some reason 

@Superb170

Thanks in advance all 

Edited by gav_is_con
Spelling

Welcome to the dark side!

so where to start,

difference in the 272 and 280 is the 272 has a 7spd I believe, 280 had the 6spd.

there are some slight engine differences 2 such as 1 has 4 injectors, the other 8.

(I may be wrong on the differences between the 2 engines)

regarding tail pipes, the sportline doesn’t decide the chrome real tail pipes, the 272/280 is the only one with real tail pipes. The sportline and L&K non 272/280 get just chrome plastic surrounds.

sportline in my opinion looks a lot better with the interior and black trim. A lot of the extras on an L&K are hard to find on a sportline when not specced new so a high spec model is hard to find! A lot of it can be retrofitted though.

canton is a definite 

heated windscreen is also - this also means heated seats which is lovely 

dcc isn’t exactly much to go wrong - but shocks like to leak on them and they’re not cheap at almost £500 a corner!

If possible and you’ve got the budget, set it about 24k and look for a 280 sportline (estate is my preference) and wait for a full spec with sunroof, electric tailgate and all the other good stuff to come up, it’s worth the investment.

• Like 3

The 272 engine is the GPF flavored version.  This came later to meet Euro6 standards.

The 280 is the non-GPF version.

The 220/280 come with the DSG-6 (DQ250) gearbox.  Newer ones come with the DSG-7 (DQ381) gearbox.

The 272 generally comes with DSG-7 (DQ381).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gav_is_con said:

A 220 would be plenty for me

the 220 vs 272/280 diff isn't only in horses:

1. visible chrome tailpipes -> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/392652-exhausts/page/4/#comment-4839197

2. bigger brake discs, 310/298 vs 340/310

3. FWD vs AWD

4. horses :)

6 hours ago, ApertureS said:

sportline in my opinion looks a lot better

about exterior i definitely agree, but interior i better like L&K, Style or even Scout
i think exterior can be fixed easier than interior

pictures of transformed Style to Sportline

-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/367311-the-superb-iii-picture-thread/page/141/#comment-5570909

• Like 1

Some interesting facts I didn’t know.

So the GPF is standard on all 272 models even a 2018/19?  Is this something more to go wrong like a diesel DPF?

I did forget to mention Apple car play would be nice, is this standard now ?

Given estate/combi models are rare I settled on a hatch also. 

Only thing on a 272 I would want in my 280 is the 7speeder. Makes for much lower revs at motorway speeds. 

The 220 with 6speeder is iirc geared differently to the 280 despite same gearbox and will give less revs too at the same speed. 

Everything else, the 280 is better IMO I.e. dual injection and of course... Exhaust flaps😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KeteCantek said:

Only thing on a 272 I would want in my 280 is the 7speeder. Makes for much lower revs at motorway speeds. 

The 220 with 6speeder is iirc geared differently to the 280 despite same gearbox and will give less revs too at the same speed. 

Everything else, the 280 is better IMO I.e. dual injection and of course... Exhaust flaps😂

So the 272 is more frugal than the 280?

Are we talking pops and farts of a Golf R or noise without the fake noise Soundaktor thing, on the 280?

Just now, gav_is_con said:

So the 272 is more frugal than the 280?

Are we talking pops and farts of a Golf R or noise without the fake noise Soundaktor thing, on the 280?

Yes, 272 should be better on fuel on the motorway. 

Exhaust flaps actually does nothing. Slight difference, insignificant. But just the clicking when it cycles at engine start makes me chuckle. 

• Like 1

I have a 2018 280 Sportline combi. It sits at 2300rpm ish in 6th at 70 and I don't have an issue with noise. The later 7 speed in the 272/new280 with GPF would probably be quieter and more economical at cruise, but if you are buying a 280 for economy you are doing it wrong already 🙂

Mine is from before the sportline/sportline plus models emerged so it already had a pretty good spec including the bigger screen. I was lucky enough to buy mine new so I could add a lot of bits to it like 4 heated seats, heated screen, reversing camera, towbar, traffic sign camera etc. I specifically avoided the L&K partly because I was less keen on the looks and partly because I expressely didn't want a sunroof as every one I have ever owned has leaked in the end and I plan on keeping the car for 10 years plus.

mine has flaps but I'll be buggered if I can tell they are working or not! the only pops and farts in the car are comming from me after a curry!

• Haha 1
  • Cheeky 1

We have a March 2016 reg LK 280 and love it. It’s the best, most comfortable and fastest car I’ve owned bar none. Don’t bother thinking about economy if you’re in the market for one of these, as in true urban, I get around 25 (and even less if you blip away at the lights now and again!) and the very best mpg I’ve got is about 37, on a 1k round trip. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have recently bought a 272 L&K hatch.  
As a Q car, the spec beats the SportLine IMO. 

I love the interior and the toys. 4x heated, 2x cooled, heated screen, Canton, etc etc. 

Very happy so far. Planning adding a Stage 1 remap in the next few weeks, so will be at about 340-350bhp.  Won’t change anything else on the car. So, it will look like a taxi and go like a Golf R. 

Happy hunting! 

D5422CBB-4729-4E2B-BDFF-FD06204AF473.jpeg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, edwards said:

I have a 2018 280 Sportline combi. It sits at 2300rpm ish in 6th at 70 and I don't have an issue with noise. The later 7 speed in the 272/new280 with GPF would probably be quieter and more economical at cruise, but if you are buying a 280 for economy you are doing it wrong already 🙂

Mine is from before the sportline/sportline plus models emerged so it already had a pretty good spec including the bigger screen. I was lucky enough to buy mine new so I could add a lot of bits to it like 4 heated seats, heated screen, reversing camera, towbar, traffic sign camera etc. I specifically avoided the L&K partly because I was less keen on the looks and partly because I expressely didn't want a sunroof as every one I have ever owned has leaked in the end and I plan on keeping the car for 10 years plus.

mine has flaps but I'll be buggered if I can tell they are working or not! the only pops and farts in the car are comming from me after a curry!

You are putting me off the sunroof. I love the idea of one. Not had one since I had my Fabia which was retro fitted as a pop up glass one when I got it. I really don’t want leaks or problems especially when the stealers won’t be interested even if in warranty. 

• Like 1

A sunroof is great, but can cause grief. 

The pano on my 2014 Octy vRS estate was faultless, but the pano (really a wide sunroof) on my 2019 Kia Stinger GTS was a rattly nightmare. 

I doubt I will buy a car with a sunroof again. 

• Like 1

Ours is a March 21 which seems to be referred to as a 206kw but is also referred to as a 280 - was under the impression it’s different to the 272… has 7speed wet clutch.

Def prefer the L&K look especially if subtlety is a requirement but not as if the Sportline is garish. Agree with previous comments that some features like digital dash were rarely specked on Sportlines from what I could find. 

As for sunroof my previous was a Kia Sportage and the panoramic roof was fine. That’s a difference between hatch and estate - former has sunroof, latter has panoramic. 

Edited by travs
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, travs said:

Ours is a March 21 which seems to be referred to as a 206kw but is also referred to as a 280 - was under the impression it’s different to the 272… has 7speed wet clutch.

Def prefer the L&K look especially if subtlety is a requirement but not as if the Sportline is garish. Agree with previous comments that some features like digital dash were rarely specked on Sportlines from what I could find. 

As for sunroof my previous was a Kia Sportage and the panoramic roof was fine. That’s a difference between hatch and estate - former has sunroof, latter has panoramic. 

206kw is 280ps. 272ps is 200kw. ps of course being metric horsepower.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gav_is_con said:

You are putting me off the sunroof. I love the idea of one. Not had one since I had my Fabia which was retro fitted as a pop up glass one when I got it. I really don’t want leaks or problems especially when the stealers won’t be interested even if in warranty. 

Don't let me put you off if you want one - my use case might not be the same as yours. I keep cars for ages normally (last one was 15 years) so if you will swap it out in a few years then its maybe not such an issue. 

My experience on one of my old cars and on a number of friends and families cars with sunroofs tells me that if you are going to have a sunroof, learn where the drains are and clean them out regularly before they block as well as maintaining any rubber seals with something like aerospace 303 spray. Those steps should help ward off failure with any luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, gav_is_con said:

You are putting me off the sunroof. I love the idea of one.

I’ve had sunroofs fitted at build in the past and would never have one again. They’re a PITA to keep the drains clear and never used them once AC became the norm. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, numskull said:

I’ve had sunroofs fitted at build in the past and would never have one again. They’re a PITA to keep the drains clear and never used them once AC became the norm. 

My dad worked for Citroen in his last job and said they’d said from a manufacturer POV the AC was a pref over a sunroof for the various structural and maintenance reasons. I’ve never missed it when having a car without one but if I do I like having it open when night driving as a personal pref.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, gav_is_con said:

Avoid the sunroof, I'm on my 3rd trip to the dealer to have them "try" and fix the noises that it makes. It's a problem across other VAG models (Passat and Arteon) and there doesn't appear to be a solution that eliminates the issue completely.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CRB123 said:

Avoid the sunroof, I'm on my 3rd trip to the dealer to have them "try" and fix the noises that it makes. It's a problem across other VAG models (Passat and Arteon) and there doesn't appear to be a solution that eliminates the issue completely.

Exactly the same with Kia with my Stinger. 

No lack of willing to fix the roof rattle, just no idea how to sort it.   A design fault ultimately.  

• Sad 1

I had set my heart on a sunroof, but hearing the horror stories I don’t want the hassle even if I don’t keep the car long. SWMBO has specifically asked for one on her next used car. So I may just take the punt on one of the family cars. 
advice appreciated. Feels like it’s going to be a very long search as these cars don’t come up in the price range much.  I am swayed to a main dealer with proper warranty for 1-2 years for peace of mind also. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick_H said:

Cant believe mine will be 8 years old this October ! Still zero interest of swapping it for anything else.

How many miles now? 

On 05/01/2023 at 12:22, travs said:

At some point in 2021, Skoda 'restored' the missing power from the 272PS/200kW engine. Yours is most likely one of these models.

image.thumb.png.d03af31b9c49f18fd6f89659758d2d0b.png

• Like 1