Karoq SEL without rear tables on "build your own"

love2drive

I have just ordered a new 1.5 SEL auto to replace my 2018 manual (left hip joint starting to twinge). After ordering exactly the same spec as my old one from a dealer,  I  discovered rear tables removal £0 in the options!!!!

The dealer agreed to alter the order, but Skoda said no only available with the Electric seat pack, He did send me the emails to / from Skoda and it is a glitch that shows the £0 as an option but does not indicate you must spend £1250 or so to get it.

Posted in case anyone else tries to order this option.

• Like 1

The reaction of your dealer, and several other responses (to various topics) that should give definitive answers, lead me to wonder what level of training dealers & their staff are required to undergo.

I collected my SEL in October and am generally pleased with it - after eleven years & 142k miles in a Yeti.

I decided to go for the electric seats, and discovered that this meant that the folding tables would not be included/fitted.

It's no great thing for me as they would not (if supplied) have been used that often (fingers-of-one-hand-in-any-12-month-period syndrome!), so I just accepted it.

The response from your dealer seems to imply that the tables are only available with electric seats! 

Curious ?

Ian, Glad you are pleased with your SEL. they are a good all round car.

You are correct it does read a bit off sorry.

As you say the electric seats cannot have the tables on them, what I wanted was no tables with the ordinary seats. Alas it is not an option (despite being on  build your own) therefore it would require me to upgrade to an electric seat just to lose the tables.........  

3 minutes ago, love2drive said:

Ian, Glad you are pleased with your SEL. they are a good all round car.

You are correct it does read a bit off sorry.

As you say the electric seats cannot have the tables on them, what I wanted was no tables with the ordinary seats. Alas it is not an option (despite being on  build your own) therefore it would require me to upgrade to an electric seat just to lose the tables.........  

Rather odd. My non-facelift Edition has electric seats and tables. What was the reason for wanting no tables? Ours are rarely used as we don't make too many longish journeys with back-seat passengers.

3 hours ago, Routemaster1461 said:

Rather odd. My non-facelift Edition has electric seats and tables. What was the reason for wanting no tables? Ours are rarely used as we don't make too many longish journeys with back-seat passengers.

The clue is, I feel, in the name of your model - Edition. With the Karoq now available in only SE, SEL & Sportline versions the designers seem to have gone to town on remodelling/re-mapping the car, rejigging several aspects of the options previously available.

One element that seems utterly unbelievable to me is the lack of a full user manual in booklet form and the provision of an online version which is NOT downloadable in .pdf format. I have posted about this seperately. 

I mentioned earlier that I am, satisfied with the car, and that is true, but like several other posters I have been unable to fathom out the infotainment system (specifically the Sat Nat element) and after having sessions with the dealer & with Skoda @ Milton Keynes I am now seriously considering a complaint to Trading Standards. 

If I have to resort to using Waze on my phone I've effectively wasted several hundred pounds by having the Amundsen option fitted

Is it unreasonable to expect a manufacturer to supply instructions (either in booklet or downloadable form) that a customer can consult with a view to ascertaining how the products actually works?

I paid upwards of £36k for my car - spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar doesn't enter into it.

23 hours ago, IanPerry316 said:

The clue is, I feel, in the name of your model - Edition. With the Karoq now available in only SE, SEL & Sportline versions the designers seem to have gone to town on remodelling/re-mapping the car, rejigging several aspects of the options previously available.

One element that seems utterly unbelievable to me is the lack of a full user manual in booklet form and the provision of an online version which is NOT downloadable in .pdf format. I have posted about this seperately. 

I mentioned earlier that I am, satisfied with the car, and that is true, but like several other posters I have been unable to fathom out the infotainment system (specifically the Sat Nat element) and after having sessions with the dealer & with Skoda @ Milton Keynes I am now seriously considering a complaint to Trading Standards. 

If I have to resort to using Waze on my phone I've effectively wasted several hundred pounds by having the Amundsen option fitted

Is it unreasonable to expect a manufacturer to supply instructions (either in booklet or downloadable form) that a customer can consult with a view to ascertaining how the products actually works?

I paid upwards of £36k for my car - spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar doesn't enter into it.

Does this help??   https://gimmemanuals.com/owners/2022/09/2021-skoda-karoq-owners-manual.pdf

45 minutes ago, smipx said:

Thanks for the link smipx but this is one that I'd already found & downloaded plus it doesn't include the gizmos & gadgets that were added & upgraded or enhanced in the 2023 facelift version of the car. 

As mentioned in a previous post there is no downloadable version of the 2023 manual, the booklet version that was in the car issilent on most aspects of the Sat Nav, and even Skoda @ Milton Keynes have been unable to supply a full version of the 2023 manual in any format (book or download).

The search for an answer goes on....................

It does seem a bit crazy.  How difficult can it be for them to provide a PDF.  My synical mind makes me a bit suspicious of them.  If you don't have a copy then they can chop and change the site version (if you didn't take screen shots) and remove features that were advertised as being there in the manual prior to purchase at a whim.

What if you don't have a computer or phone??

Tell them you have "special needs" and need a large print version of the manual. If they refuse then threaten to report them for disability discrimination. 

3 hours ago, smipx said:

What if you don't have a computer or phone??

Tell them you have "special needs" and need a large print version of the manual. If they refuse then threaten to report them for disability discrimination. 

Sounds like one of Baldricks cunning plans.

If I were Mr Skoda and you threatened to report me for disability discrimination, I'd threaten to report you to both the DVLA and the police for driving on public roads. Unless of course it's your guide dog that's behind the wheel?

I wish I could understand the problem. I think Skoda's online manuals are brilliant. They provide 'how to' videos - which is way better than any written manual I've seen. We used to carry around great big thick 300 page manuals full of absolute crap which nobody read.

"this is the switch for the electric mirrors. Press the left button to turn the mirror left or the right button to make it go right".

@IanPerry316 - what is it you want to know?

• Haha 1

On 02/02/2023 at 15:37, IanPerry316 said:

Hi Ian

Did you pay extra for the Amundsen? 🤔

I am on my 2nd Karoq, the 2018 model had a better sat nav than the facelift model I have now IMO. But I think the Amundsen is part of the SE L "package" like me having to have rear heated seats to get the heated windscreen.

I seldom use the built in sat nav, I much prefer Android Auto (as I can plan the route on my laptop or smartphone before starting out) but occasionally for whatever reason I can quickly change to the built in nav.

18 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

If I were Mr Skoda and you threatened to report me for disability discrimination, I'd threaten to report you to both the DVLA and the police for driving on public roads. Unless of course it's your guide dog that's behind the wheel?

Some people have "screen blindness" due tot eh contrast etc. and require printed files rather than having to use a screen to read text.  It's quite common actually. I work with a lot of older customers who can't read text well on a screen and need a print-out but also do get signed off by the DVLA as "safe to drive" as reading a roadsign or number plate at distance is a totally different thing.  I'm not an expert mind so and not saying this to open up a debate or anything - I just know this to be true 🙂

3 hours ago, OldKaroq said:

Hi Ian

Did you pay extra for the Amundsen? 🤔

I am on my 2nd Karoq, the 2018 model had a better sat nav than the facelift model I have now IMO. But I think the Amundsen is part of the SE L "package" like me having to have rear heated seats to get the heated windscreen.

I seldom use the built in sat nav, I much prefer Android Auto (as I can plan the route on my laptop or smartphone before starting out) but occasionally for whatever reason I can quickly change to the built in nav.

Basic Infotainment system in the 2023 model is based on the Bolero - I paid extra to upgrade to the Amundsen. It does not have the Bolero's feature of resuming where you left off when using the media player (I have a music collection of over 1000 albums on a 128Gb flash drive in the c-port) and if I have to switch out of media & then back in I have to start from scratch in selecting where I want it to play from. 

On the Sat Nat front I'm still trying to get to grips with it's alleged 'system' after several years of using a Garmin (with many pre-set destinations capability) - so far I've not discovered a way to input any likely destinations, and indeed I've seen other posts (maybe here, maybe on other threads) that imply that you can't even input a UK postcode into it to search on & put a route together!  Customer friendly ?? or what. Another session at the dealer likely in the next week or so.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Sounds like one of Baldricks cunning plans.

I wish I could understand the problem. I think Skoda's online manuals are brilliant. They provide 'how to' videos - which is way better than any written manual I've seen. We used to carry around great big thick 300 page manuals full of absolute crap which nobody read.

"this is the switch for the electric mirrors. Press the left button to turn the mirror left or the right button to make it go right".

@IanPerry316 - what is it you want to know?

See my reply to OldKaroq below.

28 minutes ago, IanPerry316 said:

Basic Infotainment system in the 2023 model is based on the Bolero - I paid extra to upgrade to the Amundsen. It does not have the Bolero's feature of resuming where you left off when using the media player (I have a music collection of over 1000 albums on a 128Gb flash drive in the c-port) and if I have to switch out of media & then back in I have to start from scratch in selecting where I want it to play from. 

On the Sat Nat front I'm still trying to get to grips with it's alleged 'system' after several years of using a Garmin (with many pre-set destinations capability) - so far I've not discovered a way to input any likely destinations, and indeed I've seen other posts (maybe here, maybe on other threads) that imply that you can't even input a UK postcode into it to search on & put a route together!  Customer friendly ?? or what. Another session at the dealer likely in the next week or so.

Ahhh, understood!

I agree, the sat nav is a bit rubbish!! No, not in the least intuitive! I wouldn't be happy, but for the Android Auto. 

2 hours ago, IanPerry316 said:

I still run my Garmin for that very reason

18 minutes ago, sussamb said:

I still run my Garmin for that very reason

Nice to discover that there's yet another who has the same problem. Unfortunately my Garmin, used for several years in my Yeti, was starting to play up, and (foolishly perhaps) I made the mistake of thinking that a brand spanking new car, costing megabucks, would have a system built in that removed the need for any add-on facilities. I'm in two minds as to whether I should bite the bullet & buy a replacement Garmin/TomTom/Whatever or use my phone or tablet (which would require a SIM card) as a result) and totally ignore the alleged wonderful facilities provided by by new £36K+ Karoq.

I'm still deliberating as to the way forward - I can't help but feel that it will involve some external add-on device(s).

14 minutes ago, IanPerry316 said:

Nice to discover that there's yet another who has the same problem. Unfortunately my Garmin, used for several years in my Yeti, was starting to play up, and (foolishly perhaps) I made the mistake of thinking that a brand spanking new car, costing megabucks, would have a system built in that removed the need for any add-on facilities. I'm in two minds as to whether I should bite the bullet & buy a replacement Garmin/TomTom/Whatever or use my phone or tablet (which would require a SIM card) as a result) and totally ignore the alleged wonderful facilities provided by by new £36K+ Karoq.

I'm still deliberating as to the way forward - I can't help but feel that it will involve some external add-on device(s).

I know the feeling but in my mind there isn't any comparison. I plan all my routes etc in BaseCamp on my PC and send them to my Garmin, plus having the ability to easily create routes etc directly on my Garmin when mounted in the car. Android Auto etc just doesn't cut it, at least not for me.

Agree that it’s annoying the Sat Nav system isn’t easy. But like most folk I just use Google (Apple also available) and ignore VAGs pathetic offering, Though i do religiously update Skoda maps for some reason.

Can’t stand wasting time watching a video when I can read how to do something in 30 seconds. Showing my age, I guess. Extraordinary no manual is available for download in a readable format.

1 hour ago, Greentree said:

Agree that it’s annoying the Sat Nav system isn’t easy. But like most folk I just use Google (Apple also available) and ignore VAGs pathetic offering, Though i do religiously update Skoda maps for some reason.

Can’t stand wasting time watching a video when I can read how to do something in 30 seconds. Showing my age, I guess. Extraordinary no manual is available for download in a readable format.

When I contacted Skoda @ Milton Keynes 3 or 4 weeks ago I spoke to a (seemingly) very helpful customer liaison/service chap who took on board the problem(s) as described & then offered to download the manual for me & email it (or send a suitable link) - he was utterly amazed (?gobsmacked?) to discover that there is no downloadable version of the manual & promised to elevate the case to senior customer service management, promising that I would hear back from them "within a couple of weeks".

I';m still waiting.

On 02/02/2023 at 15:37, IanPerry316 said:

Agreed, and I can’t change my lights for right hand drive 😡

Also the online guides may as well be written in Arabic for what use they are !

2022 1.5 SE L

52 minutes ago, paco said:

Agreed, and I can’t change my lights for right hand drive 😡

Also the online guides may as well be written in Arabic for what use they are !

2022 1.5 SE L

Off at a slight tangent.........I wonder if anybody at Skoda HQ belongs to or monitors this forum, and whether any notice is taken of the points raised, questions asked & 'complaints' posted by their customers?

(I think we already know the answer to the second part of that question).

Not the most logical of systems but certainly not the worst. I don't have a problem with it.

I have Columbus MIB3 but after reading your reply to my question above, took time to access the online manual today, follow the instructions and see how good it is explaining how the system works. All I can say is the online instructions are fine for the Columbus - I can enter postcodes etc without issue.

I had the Amundsen MIB2 system in my old car so not sure if MIB3 sat nav works the same as MIB3 or same as my Columbus MIB3.  Only issue I had with MIB2 Amundsen was how to access the screen to enter the postcode but all I did was google 'VW sat nav postcode UK' and a nice chap showed me how to access the screen. As i say, I don't have an MIB3 Amundsen to at hand to see if it's the same logic.

Same with media player. I don't have an issue with continuing track. When you say you access another function and then when you return to media, it starts all over again, you're not by any chance physically disconnecting your music stick / mp3 player?  Sorry but's that's all I can think of that would prompt a restart from 1st track.

EDIT: apologies, just had a look at the Amundsen instructions ( which proves how easy it is for anyone to access those online manuals ). Yes, looks same system as displayed on Columbus. On the bottom left of the map screen you should see an arrow pointing to the right. Press that to bring up a menu bar on the left. Home should give you a list of past / stored routes you selected. As it says in the manual, on this menu select the magnifying glass icon to select destination and then in the input line, just enter the postcode.  Must say I find this system far easier to use than the old MIB2 system where you first had to find the screen with a 'postcode' button on the keyboard. That certainly wasn't a logical step and as far as I can remember, wasn't written in the downloadable .pdf  nor the handbook in the car.

Hope that helps.

Edited by kodiaqsportline