Locking Wheel Nut?

FabFabFabia

My 2018 Karoq petrol DSG 'Edition' needs a couple of new tyres on the front before the May MOT as both are worn on the edges (11,500 miles). Are my wheels fitted with a special locking nut? If so, where am I likely to find it? I actually don't recall ever seeing one. And if I don't have one will the tyre fitter still be able to fit me two new tyres on the front? Many thanks.

Lift the boot floor, there is usually a lump of polystyrene in the wheel wheel, normally in there with jack etc.  Very occasionally they get put in bottom of glovebox.  

There are not that many variations of lock nut, tyre centres often have a selection of adapters in a box anyway

If your front tyres are wearing on the edges, get the tracking checked, otherwise replacement tyres will also wear.  If the wear is not too bad, consider switching wheels front-back (but if you have got them so worn they will fail an MOT, then they will fail, whichever position they are in)

But if getting 2 new tyres, might be better having them swapped anyway, so new tyres go on back.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FabFabFabia said:

Are my wheels fitted with a special locking nut?

My 2005 Octavia came with locking wheel bolts, the 2019 Karoq didn't.

Check the wheels. You will need to search for the adapter only if one of the bolt heads on each wheel is different from the other four conventional hexagonal heads.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies and suggestions. I just checked the wheels on my 2018 Karoq Edition and all 5 locking nuts on each wheel look identical so I'm assuming that my car does not have locking nuts so I should be OK when getting 2 new tyres for the front. I'll ask the fitter to swap the two rear tyres for the front and put the new tyres on the back as recommended by those webpage links. I'll also get my tracking done, and I do try to keep my tyre pressures at the setting recommended on the plate inside the filler cap.

43 minutes ago, FabFabFabia said:

Thanks, everyone, for your replies and suggestions. I just checked the wheels on my 2018 Karoq Edition and all 5 locking nuts on each wheel look identical so I'm assuming that my car does not have locking nuts 

You did remove the plastic wheel bolt covers before checking.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FabFabFabia said:

I just found this hiding under the spare wheel - is this the locking nut?20230223_111728.thumb.jpg.8799628a91d9f6f1ff389281231dfd82.jpg20230223_111840.thumb.jpg.8b797e271710dc0cbbd45d95029e972f.jpg

You should also find the tool for removing the plastic wheel bolt covers , in the same place.

0338C06D-70EA-4EE1-B6FF-9ABC74913CEB.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FabFabFabia said:

I'll have another search in the boot and let you know if I find it 🙂

The puller for the plastic covers was missing from my car, but it's cheap enough to replace.

Chris

2 hours ago, CJJE said:

The puller for the plastic covers was missing from my car, but it's cheap enough to replace.

Chris

Missing from my Kamiq too, but around 1.70 from Skoda

9 hours ago, FabFabFabia said:

I just found this hiding under the spare wheel - is this the locking nut?20230223_111728.thumb.jpg.8799628a91d9f6f1ff389281231dfd82.jpg20230223_111840.thumb.jpg.8b797e271710dc0cbbd45d95029e972f.jpg

No.

It is the key to undo the Locking Wheel Bolts. One per wheel.

In this day and age I'll consider throwing mine away and replacing with a 5th standard wheel bolt.

Use it very carefully, especially when tightening the bolt.  Slip with one of these on a power gun or clumsy torque wrench and it's a devil's job to fix a messed up locking bolt.

Long ago, one of my boys left the locking key on the wheel after a wheel change and never saw it again after driving along the road a bit.  Had to procure a kit to butcher off the damaged locking bolt.  Which may still be hiding in my garage somewhere. 

• Like 2

On 23/02/2023 at 20:54, BoxerBoy said:

Long ago, one of my boys left the locking key on the wheel after a wheel change and never saw it again after driving along the road a bit.  Had to procure a kit to butcher off the damaged locking bolt.  Which may still be hiding in my garage somewhere. 

I found one of them by the kerb near my house recently, so presumably someone else left it on nut, is missing one as it fell off

Any thoughts on what to do with it, bin it, sell it on here, or eBay it etc.