Torn between skoda kamiq monte carlo and sel executive

Sunder75

My partner and I have just come back from test driving a Kamiq SE 1.5 dsg with our two adult children and have decided to order one. We have seen the monte carlo trim on one of the showroom cars and it does look really nice but they did not have the sel executive in to show us.

We are torn between them both and not sure which to choose, I like the styling of the monte carlo and my partner likes the extra safety tech of the sel. I know you can upgrade a lot of the features for both but we don't want to spend too much money.

Which one would you choose and which do you think is the better value?

Also, what handy small add ons would you also recommend and ones to avoid?

Depending on timescales, the availability date might be relevant.  If not one available might be waiting months.   Some options seem to delay cars more than others, but ask the dealer to be honest about which delay it, tell them specifically not to invent a date that sounds good.

The best way is to take the brochure and print out the specs with options prices page (don't need to print the pages with glossy pictures)

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/b608c280-45cc-4c76-a6a4-e809cb548038

Then take 3 coloured highlighters (or coloured pens) and for each row mark one of three : essential and couldn't live without; nice to have put wouldn't really miss it if wasn't there; no way would pay extra for this as a feature

By time both of you have done that, you will then know what you really want,  see which is nearest, and choose that way

• Like 1

I had a similar dilemma when buying our Karoq, initially wanted the SEL but then realised by the time I’d added a few extras I was better off buying the SportLine (which I guess is on par with the MC). I love the panoramic roof, which as a standalone option was something like £1200 😳

As for what extras you add is quite a personal thing, I really wanted a pano roof and the LED pack, which were both expensive extras over the SEL spec, hence opting for the SportLine.

At least the MC doesn’t come with big daft 19” alloys like the SportLine does 😆

• Thanks 1

Depends which options are more important to you. In my case the dual zone aircon, amongst others, was a must have which IIRC was an extra cost option if you opted for the MC as opposed to the SEL Exec. Also I was not keen on the pano roof. In the end it’s all down to personal preference. 

• Thanks 1

Decided to go with the kamiq 1.5 DSG sel executive in racing blue just for the rear view camera, front parking sensors and dual Airton but added a couple of small upgrades, namely the simply clever pack plus, rear centre armrest with cup holders and front centre armrest with rear usb-c ports. Thanks for all the help

• Like 1

Yes, I forgot to mention the rear view camera and the front parking sensors, both really useful to me. I added the heated steering wheel (bliss) and the steel spare wheel. Mine is race blue too. 

I would always go with a rear camera now, if available. I have one in both cars, one being our Karoq. It is in at present for an SOS system fault (diagnosed as a faulty aerial, so we have had a 22 reg Superb for several days. I'm quite surprised by the lack of equipment, one thing lacking is a rear camera, I didn't realise how much I rely on them until you drive a car without one.

15 minutes ago, marineboy said:

In the same way that people managed for tens of years using A-Zs before Google Maps. I know which I prefer. 

Me too, but driving is different. If you can't reverse without a camera you really shouldn't be driving 

Someone has already mentioned above  another option I’d also spec (but forgot in my original response) and that is a proper spare wheel instead of the useless gunk generallly supplied.

Oh and a heated front windscreen as well if possible…

• Like 1

Depends what’s important to you.

You say you like the “extra safety tech” of the sel, even though the Monte Carlo has more than enough safety tech.

The MC is by far the nicer trim, black grill, slightly lowered, the MC body kit, lovely interior and that gorgeous pano roof.  I’d go as far as to say that compared to the MC the other trim version just look ordinary, bland if you like.  Might not be a popular opinion but it is only my opinion.

Ill give you an example.  I ordered my MC based on dealer pictures so never saw it in the flesh until I went to arrange the finance.  The supplying dealer was in Cambridge and I’m in Essex.  So, in the meantime I drove to my nearest Skoda dealership to see one in the flesh BUT they didn’t have a Monte Carlo, only one of the other trims.  To say I was disappointed is an understatement, it looked very basic and very boring and I was deflated.  A week later I went up to view the actual one I was buying and the difference was night and day.

But, that’s just me, the way your car looks might not be as important to you.

Edited by carefree

2 hours ago, Modders said:

Someone has already mentioned above  another option I’d also spec (but forgot in my original response) and that is a proper spare wheel instead of the useless gunk generallly supplied.

Oh and a heated front windscreen as well if possible…

Definitely worthwhile 

• Like 1

SEL Executive for me. Rear camera, front/rear sensors, heated front seats plus full climate control.

MC looks the part but oddly is lower spec.

Just ordered my second Kamiq, SEL Executive 1.5 dsg. Was told to expect a wait or 12 months but dealer phoned me yesterday to say it should be with them end of May. So earlier than expected.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/02/2023 at 11:02, Sunder75 said:

My partner and I have just come back from test driving a Kamiq SE 1.5 dsg with our two adult children and have decided to order one. We have seen the monte carlo trim on one of the showroom cars and it does look really nice but they did not have the sel executive in to show us.

We are torn between them both and not sure which to choose, I like the styling of the monte carlo and my partner likes the extra safety tech of the sel. I know you can upgrade a lot of the features for both but we don't want to spend too much money.

Which one would you choose and which do you think is the better value?

Also, what handy small add ons would you also recommend and ones to avoid?

I saw my Monte Carlo in the local showroom, it was love at first sight, the seats are really comfortable and it accelerates in a most pleasing manner. Sold.!

Oh! bye the bye it has everything the SEL has and the passenger seats are good as well, a few months after buying it I noticed it has a glass roof .....

Edited by gumdrop

It’s a non debate, the MC trim is by far the nicer looking Kamiq.  Before I saw mine in the flesh I looked at a non MC Kamiq at my local dealership and without wanting to offend anyone it looked like an old man’s car, it was very bland.

Again, depends what’s important to you, but for me the MC has more than enough spec AND is by miles far nicer to look at and drive.

5 hours ago, skoda1982 said:

Look at the Skoda configurator to see what’s is missing on the MC compared to the the SEL EX

Is obvious from Optional Equipment tables in brochure

Monte Carlo doesn't get (but SEL exec does)

Crome roof rails and chrome window surrounds 

Electrically folding mirrors

Heated front seats and heated washer nozzles

Dual zone climate control

keyless start stop

front and rear parking sensors

rear view camera

On 23/04/2023 at 08:13, SurreyJohn said:

Is obvious from Optional Equipment tables in brochure

Monte Carlo doesn't get (but SEL exec does)

Crome roof rails and chrome window surrounds 

Electrically folding mirrors

Heated front seats and heated washer nozzles

Dual zone climate control

keyless start stop

front and rear parking sensors

rear view camera

But looks like a bland old man’s car🤷🏻‍♂️

• Love it! 1