Superb -16 2.0 280hp idle problem

Hey guys. 
im having an issue with my car. 
it’s not constant but quite often the idle turn really bad. It starts going between 500-1200rpm and it really rough. You feel it in the whole car. 
it goes away if I put the car in too sport. Then it idles fine att 1000rpm. 
no trouble whatsoever when I’m driving. Don’t have any chance to look up fault codes att the moment. So every guess is helpful. Someone here maybe had the same problem?

I have the hybrid and on cold starts it does jerk a little bit, but not for long, when the engine is turned on, especially when it approaches the lower rpms. 

Maybe it's the same thing here? Or you are getting this even after it warmed up?

8 hours ago, M4NDOO said:

Hey guys. 
im having an issue with my car. 
it’s not constant but quite often the idle turn really bad. It starts going between 500-1200rpm and it really rough. You feel it in the whole car. 
it goes away if I put the car in too sport. Then it idles fine att 1000rpm. 
no trouble whatsoever when I’m driving. Don’t have any chance to look up fault codes att the moment. So every guess is helpful. Someone here maybe had the same problem?

What year and how many kms have you done?  Is it worse when the car is cold. Ie it goes away or is less pronounced after the car has warmed up?

Edited by Donweather

Hmmm, no idea then.  If it was worse on cold start then I'd say you've got carbon build up on the intake manifold as that's a common and known problem with the VAG engines around the 100,000 km mark.  But if it's worse after it's warmed up then I don't think it would be this

2 hours ago, Donweather said:

Hmmm, no idea then.  If it was worse on cold start then I'd say you've got carbon build up on the intake manifold as that's a common and known problem with the VAG engines around the 100,000 km mark.  But if it's worse after it's warmed up then I don't think it would be this

The 2016 280 has multi point injection so hopefully keeps carbon buildup to a

minimum.

5 hours ago, D402 said:

I’ve gone through the tread. That guy had problems when using sport. My problem goes away when I put it into sport. Only thing I could relate to was that I have disconnected the cables to the exhaustvalve, for better sound. 
could that really give this kind of problem?

56 minutes ago, M4NDOO said:

I’ve gone through the tread. That guy had problems when using sport. My problem goes away when I put it into sport. Only thing I could relate to was that I have disconnected the cables to the exhaustvalve, for better sound. 
could that really give this kind of problem?

That thread didn't come to a firm conclusion unfortunately. Suggest you reconnect yours and see if it helps with your problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M4NDOO said:

I have disconnected the cables to the exhaustvalve, for better sound.

Would these be valves in the rear boxes? If so, I'd be very surprised if it would produce the issue you describe. I’d suspect it would be related to an injection issue. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, toot said:

@M4NDOOIs the cars servicing all good, as in a clean dry air filter fitted and the spark plugs changed or checked (gap) when due and are you running it on Super Unleaded, 98 / 99 Octane ? 

Service is good. Air filter changed to a K&N 3 months ago. Running on 98 octane. 

• Thanks 1

@M4NDOOBefore going to too much effort maybe get a Clean Standard Air filter and put it in instead of that 'PERFORMANCE K&N oiled filter that is possibly strangling the car, as they can do. 

Great for Dusty / Wet environments, re-use when they need cleaning and retreating, and often just a PITY and waster of fuel.  IMO & IME. 

• Like 1

On 20/03/2023 at 09:48, Nick_H said:

The 2016 280 has multi point injection so hopefully keeps carbon buildup to a

minimum.

Yes but the secondary indirect injectors fail and cause an idle problem.

3 hours ago, UndertheRadar said:

Have you checked to make sure the vacuum pipe is still connected to your new filter?

It’s not an open performance filter. 
it’s a filter that goes in the original box. 
don’t know how the correct terms in English, but I think you understand. 

• Like 1