KESS model, Superb, how to effectivelly prevent keys being scanned?

It would appear that my new car will be keyless entry and start/stop system. How or what is the best and most effective way of preventing thieves scanning for the signal and cloning it to gain entry to the car?

I was looking the RFI key pouches on Amazon, but many of the reviews claim that they don't always work and other claim that after a couple of months they cease to work. I was thinking about getting small metal tins and popping the key into them?

Edited by Graham Butcher

Someone tried a relay attack on ours, but the Superb was immune. Thatcham results here Click. The LEAF is susceptible (but was ignored by the tea leafs), so our keys now reside in this Click and it seems to do the job

• Like 1

That is good to know, there has been an increase in the number of thefts of Range Rovers, Mercedes, BMW's and the like near me and many have been caught on CCTV using the relay method, so it seem that the Superb has far better protection than these posher cars have, winner winner chicken dinner.

My Swift has kessy and I use a Faraday bag.  It's a few years old but still works perfectly as the car won't open with the key in the bag even when stood next to the car door. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, skomaz said:

My Swift has kessy and I use a Faraday bag.  It's a few years old but still works perfectly as the car won't open with the key in the bag even when stood next to the car door. 

Thanks, interesting as there are a lot of reviews on Amazon stating they have had issues with those Faraday bags/pouches, some people say that didn't work full stop, others claimed that only worked some of the time and others said they stopped working after a couple of months. How long have you had it for, and have you checked it recently to see if it is still as effective as it was when new?

I got the car in May 2018 and the bag shortly after.  Just checked it again now and you're right it does seem like it's finally giving up...   Its fine from a couple of yards off but not stood right next to the car any more although it was OK a few months ago. 

Looks like I'll be investing again...   Thanks for the reminder to check! 

Edited by skomaz

3 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

many of the reviews claim that they don't always work

Errr… that’ll be nonsense. They ALWAYS work, provided both the key is inserted the flap is closed correctly. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, skomaz said:

I got the car in May 2018 and the bag shortly after.  Just checked it again now and you're right it does seem like it's finally giving up...   Its fine from a couple of yards off but not stood right next to the car any more although it was OK a few months ago. 

Looks like I'll be investing again...   Thanks for the reminder to check! 

Doesn't that give you the protection you need though?  If someone's trying to scan your key's signal, it'll be in the house and not closer than a couple of yards away.

I've kept my keys in a Faraday pouch since I bought the car in 2017 and the pouch is kept in the opposite side of the house to the driveway.  I've not had any problems, though you could leave it unlocked with the keys in it around here and nothing would happen.  The only time I really need the bag is whenever we're away from home where the risk of theft is higher.

• Like 1

And just to make sure, I’ve just checked my 4 year old pouch and it works fine, although I suppose the coating on the material might wear-through making it less secure.

I also just tested a £1 2-4-1 AA branded pouch from Homebargains and that works perfectly too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, numskull said:

Errr… that’ll be nonsense. They ALWAYS work, provided both the key is inserted the flap is closed correctly. 

Good point...   I'll check again later as I had just been in the pouch so may not have closed it properly 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Penpusher said:

Doesn't that give you the protection you need though?  If someone's trying to scan your key's signal, it'll be in the house and not closer than a couple of yards away.

I've kept my keys in a Faraday pouch since I bought the car in 2017 and the pouch is kept in the opposite side of the house to the driveway.  I've not had any problems, though you could leave it unlocked with the keys in it around here and nothing would happen.  The only time I really need the bag is whenever we're away from home where the risk of theft is higher.

It probably does...   The drive is away from the house and the keys are in the pouch in a small drawer in the middle of the house...   But for the sake of a few quid for a new one... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cnc said:

It depends which MY your Superb is, from the facelift model (2019 on) the keys have a movement sensor which stops transmitting any signal when it's not being moved.

Oh, well, the one I'm thinking of is 2016 or 2017, so that might at a higher risk then😒

Wouldn't a tobacco tin work just as well? A hinged tin is around £4 from e-bay and others.

Edited by gumdrop
  • Like 1

On my wife's SEAT Ateca, you can disable keyless entry by locking the car with the key fob button then tapping the lock sensor on the door handle as if you were keyless locking. Is it the same on the Superb?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

Wouldn't a tobacco tin work just as well? A hinged tin is around £4 from e-bay and others.

That's what I'm currently leaning towards at the moment, but looking for something smaller that could be slipped into a pocket, any tin is OK for indoor storage.

4 minutes ago, D402 said:

On my wife's SEAT Ateca, you can disable keyless entry by locking the car with the key fob button then tapping the lock sensor on the door handle as if you were keyless locking. Is it the same on the Superb?

I don't know, the manuals always talk about various bits and bobs as they are not model specific, so may need to wait until I get a car and then work through the manuals and menu options on the car.

Mk3 KESSY can be disabled -

1. close from keyfob

2. press outside of door handle for few sec

<=2016. may need software update, dealer asked 60 euros

Mk3.FL haven't tested yet

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MartiniB said:

Mk3 KESSY can be disabled -

1. close from keyfob

2. press outside of door handle for few sec

<=2016. may need software update, dealer asked 60 euros

Mk3.FL haven't tested yet

Reading the owners handbook, you are right, you can disable it, but when you lock the car, it is re-activated at that time, so what is the point of deactivating in the manner describe?

9 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Reading the owners handbook, you are right, you can disable it, but when you lock the car, it is re-activated at that time, so what is the point of deactivating in the manner describe?

It disables the Kessy part of the system whilst the car is parked, only pressing the fob will get you in - admittedly, the temporary state is cleared when you press the fob to open but the advantage is you don’t need to use the little bag or a box.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

I'll have to try that when I get the new car.

My son uses a business card case, similar to a small cigarette case.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

so what is the point of deactivating in the manner describe?

i see two cases:
a) when leave car in some unsafe area
b) to minimize battery drain when leave car for longer time

• Love it! 1

My 2 KESSY keys for our cars sleep at night in a little tin with a hinged lid.

Tucked away in my bedroom.

When I go out in the morning I don’t even think about being cloned. The key is tucked in my trouser pocket.

In 12 years of KESSY driving several different cars I’ve never met anyone who’s been cloned or stolen.

Edited by BoxerBoy
  • Like 1