Xenon Headlights aimed too low?

When I drove this car for first time at night I was appalled at the P*** poor lights, dipped beam was aimed squarely at about 5-7 metres in front of the car and leaving a massive pool of light with distinct cut off line leaving the rest of the road in total blackness, making driving with dipped lights in the country roads almost impossible above 20-30mph. The lights were not even picking parked cars reflectors or number plates, they just loomed up suddenly right of you.

I set about adjusting them but couldn't get them right and ending up being flashed a few times. So today I took the car to my local Halfords and asked them to align them using their equipment. The guy who did them said that they were bother pointing skywards but were OK now. So tonight I thought I'd try them, well blow me down with a feather, they are right back were they were, surely that cannot be right?

On my Mk2 which also had Xenon lamps, I had really good light spread on dipped beam and could ion country roads happily drive for extended periods on dipped beams in perfect safety, and never got flashed once. On full beam they were just great, sure they also lit up tree canopies and would certainly dazzled on coming drivers, but not when dipped. Now I had that Mk2 for almost 10 years and it just sailed through its MOT test each year so they headlights must have been just fine.

What do other owners with Xenon think of the attached photo that my son took, just before we lost all daylight, do these look right to you? There is zero light spread beyond the distinct cut off, meaning that a few more minutes and it would not have been possible to tell that there was any trees there any hint of the upcoming right hand bend.

1934312640_image2(1).thumb.jpeg.01c86d02c050df7e98f08f4192963bc5.jpeg 

18 minutes ago, JR RS said:

Yup, that's crap headlight alignment.

This is how mine looks...

https://youtu.be/fkRcEJIVlJU

Thanks, I feel a revisit to Halfords tomorrow for another go at fixing it. TBH, that is just as I remember my Mk2 L&K as being, hence why I wanted another L&K and of course it had to have Xenon lamps, once experienced nothing else will do.

Remember those xenon lights were the bendy beam ones which spread the light at a width, speed dependent and also turned around corners. All these things contributed to how good you found them, cornering fogs also add more light on the mk2. @Graham Butcher

• Like 1

similar issue had my previous 2016, few months newer cars got recall with software update

175 Mb video -> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/501383-automatic-lights-on/?do=findComment&comment=5627092

-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/368574-vcds-options-on-superb-iii/?do=findComment&comment=5642089

VIN weren't listed in recall list, few months too old

and this light beam isn't enough down, claim were rejected by dealer

(restart ignition improves situation, but not solve)

Does the beam pattern change with speed? Does the light beam turn when cornering?

My first Superb had the same issue. I'd optioned the xenon lights on my SE Business spec car. Dipped beam was just dangerous at night!

I eventually got the main dealer to investigate, it appeared they were never enabled correctly so none of the auto light pattern stuff worked.

Headlights worked perfectly once they'd connected to whatever computer they use in the workshop. Beam pattern could clearly be seen to adjust through changing speeds

2 hours ago, gav_is_con said:

Remember those xenon lights were the bendy beam ones which spread the light at a width, speed dependent and also turned around corners. All these things contributed to how good you found them, cornering fogs also add more light on the mk2. @Graham Butcher

It's the same behavior with the mk3.  It does all those things with AFS2, plus more if u have SLA headlights which does matrix like masking using MDF tech.

Explanation in this video...

https://youtu.be/2kFSuBWGCuY

37 minutes ago, Q102 said:

Does the beam pattern change with speed? Does the light beam turn when cornering?

Yes it does.  It's called AFS2 lighting.

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Q102 said:

My first Superb had the same issue. I'd optioned the xenon lights on my SE Business spec car. Dipped beam was just dangerous at night!

I eventually got the main dealer to investigate, it appeared they were never enabled correctly so none of the auto light pattern stuff worked.

Headlights worked perfectly once they'd connected to whatever computer they use in the workshop. Beam pattern could clearly be seen to adjust through changing speeds

Yes, the beam pattern is changing according to speed and also the cornering function is all OK. I did originally think that they were not functioning with the beams spreading etc as I was unable to see change in light pattern when stopping behind other cars. On my old mk2 I was always able to watch them change their pattern on the back of the car in front, but it seems that this car does it before I actually stop?

2 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

On my old mk2 I was always able to watch them change their pattern on the back of the car in front, but it seems that this car does it before I actually stop?

With mine - I can see the beam pattern change after I come to a stop.

I can see it on the rear bumper of the car in front.

Usually about 2-3 secs after I've come to a complete stop.

Mine being a RHD, it's the right headlight (driver's side) that changes pattern by moving the beam slightly inwards, after stopping.

I haven't noticed the left beam change/move.

• Like 1

Yep the headlights are crap, but it’ll be worth changing the bulbs to something like the Osram NBL.

I might go with the CBN though as it’s a tad bluer than NBL and still UK legal

I’m going to change bulbs first before raising the beam manually if and when I can be bothered as it’s not an easy task changing the bulbs

• Confused 1

Went back to Halford's today and the chap there said they were OK on his machine, but tweaked that up a tad. I think that he must have set them up on full beam rather than dipped beam, as he said that they were pointing at the stars. Anyway, I took it for a ride again tonight, nah, still rubbish, still had a sharp cut-off line on the road and your eyes are just drawn towards it, and it was making seeing anything beyond it impossible to see. I did a rejig of the alignment myself and nailed it. Nobody flashed me and I once again to pick up road signs, and reflectors far quicker than I was before, so I'm calling it done.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Went back to Halford's today and the chap there said they were OK on his machine, but tweaked that up a tad. I think that he must have set them up on full beam rather than dipped beam, as he said that they were pointing at the stars. Anyway, I took it for a ride again tonight, nah, still rubbish, still had a sharp cut-off line on the road and your eyes are just drawn towards it, and it was making seeing anything beyond it impossible to see. I did a rejig of the alignment myself and nailed it. Nobody flashed me and I once again to pick up road signs, and reflectors far quicker than I was before, so I'm calling it done.

How much did you turn it by after Halfords person looked at it again? 

24 minutes ago, Danoid said:

How much did you turn it by after Halfords person looked at it again? 

Not much of a turn of the adjuster, maybe half a turn or so. I parked up behind a parked car at something like 5 to 6 car lengths away and adjusted the lights until the beams was just hitting above the bumper so the dipped beams would not annoy the driver.

• Love it! 1

2 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Not much of a turn of the adjuster, maybe half a turn or so. I parked up behind a parked car at something like 5 to 6 car lengths away and adjusted the lights until the beams was just hitting above the bumper so the dipped beams would not annoy the driver.

Have you now tried high beam?  I found after adjusting my normal beam lights (which were too low after I got my lowering springs put on) upwards to be perfect now the high beam is now too high.....but not much I can do about that unfortunately.

Edited by Donweather

7 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

That’s sounds like where my lights need to be.

It’s crazy how some cars like a new BMW 5 series is following and almost lighting up my interior and if I swapped spaces I’m lighting up his back tyres only.

I’ve got the SEL which sits fairly high so people in Sportline & L&K which is a bit lower must have a nightmare.

The only problem adjusting is you’ll fail the next MOT unless you remember to lower it by however much you raised it

When I finally do mine I’m going to put a mark so I know to readjust before MOT

4 hours ago, Donweather said:

Have you now tried high beam?  I found after adjusting my normal beam lights (which were too low after I got my lowering springs put on) upwards to be perfect now the high beam is now too high.....but not much I can do about that unfortunately.

Yes, I have tried my high beam ad as all the cars I've had with these lights on they also light up the tree canopies where they form a tunnel and also illuminate the road ahead brilliantly, altering their beam pattern according to the speed, just all the other did and they always passed their MOT so must have been within spec. More importantly the dipped beam is now fit for purpose, lighting up both sides of the road as it should do in urban pattern also there is really distinct cut-off line on the road and they now reflect back from things like cats eyes, number plates, car reflectors and there is enough overspill to reflect back from road signs but not to be annoying enough that others flash me. 😊

5 minutes ago, Danoid said:

That’s sounds like where my lights need to be.

It’s crazy how some cars like a new BMW 5 series is following and almost lighting up my interior and if I swapped spaces I’m lighting up his back tyres only.

I’ve got the SEL which sits fairly high so people in Sportline & L&K which is a bit lower must have a nightmare.

The only problem adjusting is you’ll fail the next MOT unless you remember to lower it by however much you raised it

When I finally do mine I’m going to put a mark so I know to readjust before MOT

There shouldn't be a need to lower them for the MOT as long as you have set them up as I did so the hard cut-off line is just above the other cars bumper at roughly 27-30metres away. 

According to Hella, the correct angle on dipped or dimmed beam is 1 degree down from the horizontal, which means that at 10metres away from your headlight, the cut-off should be around 10cm lower than the centre of your headlight. This info is to be found around the edge of of your light, under the bonnet.

headlight angle.jpg

angle dipped beam.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

There shouldn't be a need to lower them for the MOT as long as you have set them up as I did so the hard cut-off line is just above the other cars bumper at roughly 27-30metres away. 

According to Hella, the correct angle on dipped or dimmed beam is 1 degree down from the horizontal, which means that at 10metres away from your headlight, the cut-off should be around 10cm lower than the centre of your headlight. This info is to be found around the edge of of your light, under the bonnet.

headlight angle.jpg

angle dipped beam.jpg

When the Halfords person adjusted them, did they only adjust to bang in the middle of the legal range? If he adjusted them to be at the top end of the limit and now you’ve adjusted higher again, surely you’d now be over

Edited by Danoid
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

That is not the way to set up headlamp alignment.

You may not dazzle a driver 6 car lengths away but could well at a greater distance, Halfords already set them above the regulatory angle, probably close to zero, you may now have gone positive.

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

More importantly the dipped beam is now fit for purpose, lighting up both sides of the road as it should do

(UK) Dipped beam headlights should light up the left hand verge and road signs etc but not the right, I presume you were talking about that because from your own photos its clear that both sides of the tarmac were illuminated.

42 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

There shouldn't be a need to lower them for the MOT as long as you have set them up as I did

I would not count on that but testers usually will readjust FOC.

On 06/06/2023 at 01:09, Graham Butcher said:

dipped beam was aimed squarely at about 5-7 metres in front of the car and leaving a massive pool of light with distinct cut off line leaving the rest of the road in total blackness

A night-time photograph would be more revealing but the brighly illuminated area on that one is far more than 5-7m ahead of the vehicle.

I can understand your logic regarding the bumper height at 30m away being probably 30cm lower than the headlight beam but I think the issue is you seeing a very sharp defined cut off line which LED headlight certainly have and thinking that there is no illumination beyond that, if you turn your lights off and on you would realise that a lot more is being illuminated including oncoming drivers eyes if it is set too high, your iris is adjusting to the almost blinding reflection from the tarmac and its difficult to see the images in the less illuminated zone.

I think LED headlights are far too bright on dipped beam, I say this as a driver of the oncoming vehicle and also as a passenger in LED equipped vehicles, also having recently had cataract surgery and now having 100% of the daylight or illuminated light getting through to the retina like when I was a child I definitely see that they are far too bright, even DRL's now look like someone is reflecting the sun with a parabolic reflector.

The UK Construction and Use regulations still use watts and not lumens, had that mistake not been made LED headlights would be not significantly brighter than halogen ones, same deal for brake lights especially the high level ones which are blinding, they should have to face down at 15°, for some crazy reason car designers in recent years have taken away the yellow indicator lens, made the size of the clear or smoked lens so small that even a moped rider would get pulled by the law with something so small and they have also massively reduced the light output from them to the extent that you cannot see them over the rear lights or DRL's.

Someone in power really needs to get a grip with what is happening.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Danoid said:

When the Halfords person adjusted them, did they only adjust to bang in the middle of the legal range? If he adjusted them to be at the top end of the limit and now you’ve adjusted higher again, surely you’d now be over

No way can they be over. Hella are the main manufacturer as depicted in the photo taken from their web site, you see the dipped headlight symbol embossed on the edge of the glass along with the 1% downward decline that the beam must not be less than. In the middle of the headlight there is a circle depicting the centre of the light. Mark that height on a garage door etc and move your car 10m away from the door/wall etc, switch on your headlights and set them in dipped beam and then measure where the cut-off line is on the wall. If that line is less than 10cm from the centre line, then you are over and will fail the MOT test. If the distance is 10cm or greater you have a pass in the MOT, however that does not mean that you are safe to drive it. 

There is little point in setting your lights lower then you need to if it means that you approach an on coming car, you dip and then can't see past that car because your lights don't light the road enough and you hit a brick or some other obstacle on the road, which cause you to have an accident with the oncoming car.

Now given that the machines that Halfords use are height adjustable and also have to be at a set distance, imagine if the distance it is used at is incorrect and or the height is set too low, that could also account why he said they were pointing skywards, or indeed if he tried to calibrate them using high beam instead of dipped beam. If that is what happened, it would certainly explain why they were performing so badly when driving around town on dipped beam and were almost unusable in the country, because the wrong beam was used to set them, making dipped beam go even lower.

Here is a video that clearly demonstrates the difference between headlight types and also dipped and full beam, look at Xenon section and that is how mine are now set, which is correct.

(1185) Halogen vs xenon vs LED, an objective comparison (complete english version) - YouTube

34 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Mark that height on a garage door etc and move your car 10m

I would suggest that you move the car 10m from the door first, Measure up to the centre of the headlight and then transfer that measurement to the door. This will allow for any change in level in the 10m between the car and the door.