Questionable oil reading on a new 2021 Kamiq 1.0 TSI

esau

Hi there!

I've got a recently new 2021 Kamiq 1.0 TSI Automatic about a year ago. It's been driven for 1700km/1056 miles with no issues until recently when I recived the yellow/orange Oil-lamp light with warning message to check the oil. When looking in the manual the orange oil-lamp would indicate that either the engine oil level too high or engine oil level sensor impaired. I went ahead and let the enginge run for about 3 minutes and checked the oil-stick and got this reading (see attatched picture). 

IMG_2618.HEIC

In the manual it says that the oil-level should be within the ribbed lines of the stick. In this case there is almost nothing on the ribbed side but instead oil on top and on the bottom instead 🤔. I tried different posistions of the oil stick but it gave similar results. I went back in the car and started it up and now it doesn't show the fault message anymore. However I'm still unsure to if there is to much oil or to little in the car, and is in need of help on how to read off this oilstick. 

Note: The car has been driven lightly and no service has been done since it was bought about a year ago. 
I guess that it would make sense that the engine will drain a little bit of oil in the break-in process since the car is new, but I would not think that it would be so much to be this low. On the other hand It would be weird if the oil-level was to high like the indicator was saying since it's relatively new (if nothing is broken)

Im reaching out to this communtity to share ideas and appreciates any help! 

• 6 months later...
On 13/06/2023 at 10:10, esau said:

Seems the image was not compatible. Here is the correct one:  IMG_2618.thumb.png.5aba68637cc818f704221884687ce300.png

That's weird. Wipe the dipstick then put it back in, then take it out again to see if it is the same, or shows correct mark

@wooly4228  is that done as the Owners manual tells?   Engine at normal operating temperature and stopped on the flat and checked after a few minutes.    So not a cold check.  At around an indicated 90*oC and after maybe 4 or 5 minutes.    The OP,s was of a few minutes tick over is an issue and why so many cars after a service have not enough oil in. Full time mechanics / fitters that says it makes no difference.  It makes all the difference with some. Cold check or hot check.  Not a WARM check.     PS.  As to not showing a message on r low oil light anymore. That is because opening the bonnet can put them off for 100km / 62 miles.  Even if you do nothing. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@wooly4228  is that done as the Owners manual tells?   Engine at normal operating temperature and stopped on the flat and checked after a few minutes.    So not a cold check.  At around an indicated 90*oC and after maybe 4 or 5 minutes.

As the manual states. Take out dip stick wipe off oil, reinsert dip stick, remove and it should show correct oil level. Depending on where the oil shows will tell you either too low or too high, it should be in-between 

• Haha 1

I read manuals.  I understand the wording and areas A, B and C.  Plenty threads on here from those that do not read the owners manual.    Skoda used to say WARM, they also correctly said only engines checked cold were 1.2 44kW engines. These had an oil capacity of 2.8 litre. 

In you opinion . As far I was concerned the wiping is fine.  As to the telling you if too high or too low then it is a good indication.  Just remember to have the oil hot to get a good check. Cold for seeing there is oil before firing up an engine. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

In you opinion . As far I was concerned the wiping is fine.  As to the telling you if too high or too low then it is a good indication.  Just remember to have the oil hot to get a good check. Cold for seeing there is oil before firing up an engine. 

The OP said he let the engine run for about 3 mins

yes, 1.0 tsi has oil level sensor.

All TSI and TDI engines that run on 0W20 engine oil, wil burn more or less engine oil.

1 liter / 5000 km is normal

also, the message in the dash will clearly say if the oil level is LOW or HIGH

Edited by andreiro221

3 hours ago, Rooted said:

3 minutes running is not 1.0tsi at normal operating temperature.  The oil temp indicator will not be showing 50*oC let alone over 80 to 90 *oC.

So what it will be warm. The OP wanted some info, not Crap from wannabe Mechanic.

• Haha 1

A time served Motor Engineer actually, sometimes called a Mechanic who also became a Vehicle Sprayer.  Not a Technician or Fitter.     PS.  The OP posted back in June.  So for anyone else. Wipe the dipstick. Check cold, and check at Normal operating temperature of the engine / engine oil. Because warm can give a different reading.  It is hardly complicated. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

A time served Motor Engineer actually, sometimes called a Mechanic who also became a Vehicle Sprayer.  Not a Technician or Fitter.     PS.  The OP posted back in June.  So for anyone else. Wipe the dipstick. Check cold, and check at Normal operating temperature of the engine / engine oil. Because warm can give a different reading.  It is hardly complicated. 

That wasn't hard was it to help out someone with a problem 

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

I apologise, now having read quite a number of posts it appears that a lot of the questions can be answered by people actually reading the little book that came with the vehicle, Commonly called User Manual.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

The car must be level and not tilted on a camber.

After the engine is hot (or warm) enough leave the engine to allow oil to run back off any surfaces and back to the sump.

Wipe the dipstick, check the level. The top and bottom oil shown in the photo indicates oil thrown up the dipstick tube

and the current oil level, the oil having not had time to drain .

• Like 1

In that case it might as well just be a cold dip, with all the oil in the sump since the last time it was stopped / parked.

So for different engines try yourself the stone cold dip, or the at operating temperature and after a few minutes.  (Note they say a few, not 4 or 5, but a few is not 15 minutes)

If the level is the same stone cold and at operating temperature then no need to ever do that checks after you have run the engine.

Remember that with different engines there can be the Oil filter up top, and with others the oil filter down low. 

6 minutes ago, Rooted said:

In that case it might as well just be a cold dip, with all the oil in the sump since the last time it was stopped / parked.

So for different engines try yourself the stone cold dip, or the at operating temperature and after a few minutes.  (Note they say a few, not 4 or 5, but a few is not 15 minutes)

If the level is the same stone cold and at operating temperature then no need to ever do that checks after you have run the engine.

Remember that with different engines there can be the Oil filter up top, and with others the oil filter down low. 

Presumably the oil thins as it warms up and it is the measurement at that temperature that's important.  If you measure it cold, it may be below the m inimum mark and so if you then top it up it is too full when the engine is warm.

• Confused 1

@Seasider

It actually sits higher on the dipstick cold and all back in the sump.

As to thinning, the temperature we are talking here is 90 *oC or so, 'normal operating temp'.

Just get the big soup pot out, put in 4 litres of engine oil, mark the level, heat to 90*oc and see how much the level rises, or actually does not. 

PS.

You have a car, dip the oil when cold. 

Do maybe 10 miles and stop, wait 4 or 5 minutes and dip it.  Remembering to wipe the cloth, see where the oil is.

Nothing difficult there, if in the same place or different then post which way, up or down.

This is for 'Mericans'  in the UK one the gal never mentions the engine / oil being hot. 

(There is one from NZ for Skoda where the check is shown being done with the engine running..)

Edited by Rooted

I’ve literally never known such an in depth debate about something as mundane and as basic as checking oil levels.  

This place really does make me howl with laughter sometimes 😂😂😂

Keep going, I’ll get the popcorn😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Kiss 1