Yep, Water Pump and Thermostat

Sorry if I’ve missed recent posts, but most seem to be older and I wondered if anyone has had this done on theirs recently?

I’ve had a quote from a local garage and it’s around £400-450 for parts then about the same for labour, so the ballpark is nearly £1k! 

For what it’s worth, I’ll call Skoda on Monday, but seriously? 

If it makes a difference, mine is a 2018 VRS 245 with a snip of 30k miles on the clock. 

Best get that price from a Main Dealer as long as their Service Desk person understands exactly what your car / engine is.

Have you had the VAQ diff serviced?  That is / was due at 3 years / 30,000 miles or sooner.

Examples of how prices can vary.

Main Dealers might well be participating dealers on Fixed Prices for cars 3 - 10 year old, or maybe not anymore as prices / quotes are all over the place now.

575794279_Screenshot2023-03-1822_35_35.jpg.f1eafd544592c6770c8a17f54f93155c (1).jpg

959813611_Screenshot2023-03-0510_34_49.png.85bef5569b66a2b4526c506c3bbe7ad1 (4).png

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

Yeah, I’ve had that done thankfully. 

But yes, if that’s for the same job that needs to be done it’s a big difference. I know I need the small belt, the minor pump or cover plate piece then the gasket and the main pump - I recall the cover plate part being around £65 then the main pump being around £350. 

I’ll certainly call them and go from there. My local is very well regarded etc, but at that price I’m at least checking what a dealer would charge. 

I’ve also just had the top mounts, springs, shocks and arb links done at the front, that racked up just under £1k. Not feeling too happy with her at the mo! 

I’ve just checked that £349 price, sadly it excludes VRS models. It’s still a massive leap from that to what I am currently facing. 

Why can’t they be around to get a price tomorrow! Ah well, roll on Monday. 

I wish they were upgrades and I was tempted to go for coilovers etc! 

Both shocks were knackered and I've had some knocking when going from full lock to full lock, 3 point turns etc. I think I posted about it a while ago, anyway, turns out the bearings in the top mounts were going too. So I opted for the springs to be done at the same time. Sucks to be me on this one! 

I've no idea why to be honest, I bought it two years ago and I look after mine, so whether the previous person had sat still too long during lockdowns and didn't look after it, I've no idea. I'm not impressed to say the least, plus it's service and MOT next week, and I need new tyres for the front soon too! I know they're normal maintenance, but the total is eye watering nevertheless.

1 hour ago, ScottyNS said:

Wow, that is a big job! If I remember the Golf R has the same engine too?

Thanks for letting me know, well, this is gonna hurt! 

Yep. Identical set up. Gen 3 ea888. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, toot said:

Have you had the VAQ diff serviced?  That is / was due at 3 years / 30,000 miles or sooner.

Thank you @toot, you made me question myself and the VAQ hasn’t been done 😞 

I called the dealer that serviced it last and they didn’t know what I was talking about, neither did the techs that were onsite this morning! 

It’s already booked in for service and mot on Wednesday, so it’s added to the list for them. Hopefully as it’s low mileage and it doesn’t get much hard driving say all that it’ll be ok, but hey! 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/06/2023 at 12:51, ScottyNS said:

Thank you @toot, you made me question myself and the VAQ hasn’t been done 😞 

I called the dealer that serviced it last and they didn’t know what I was talking about, neither did the techs that were onsite this morning! 

It’s already booked in for service and mot on Wednesday, so it’s added to the list for them. Hopefully as it’s low mileage and it doesn’t get much hard driving say all that it’ll be ok, but hey! 

what was the quote in the end?

As it happens, it’s getting done today. Dealer wanted around £1100 and my independent is doing it for £995 ish. 

That’s for the job lot, water pump, thermostat, coolant regulator and a belt in that area too. Water pump on its own was £375. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ScottyNS said:

As it happens, it’s getting done today. Dealer wanted around £1100 and my independent is doing it for £995 ish. 

That’s for the job lot, water pump, thermostat, coolant regulator and a belt in that area too. Water pump on its own was £375. 

Sounds about right but a bit cheaper than where my first dealer has started at price wise. If you get a moment it would be interesting to hear confirmation of the parts list because my lot didn't mention coolant regulator but quoted for the union that the thermostat has to be secured on and two gaskets (one intake manifold and one throttle body) because I assume my lot believed they had to remove those parts to get to the thermostat / pump. My lot have started at between £1350 and £1400.

Can't remember whether you said but did you seek financial contribution from Skoda?

If the parts list is on the invoice, I’ll happily attach that later for you. 

I didn’t bother asking for any contribution from Škoda, it’s a 2018 and I’m well out of my used warranty etc. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ScottyNS said:

If the parts list is on the invoice, I’ll happily attach that later for you. 

I didn’t bother asking for any contribution from Škoda, it’s a 2018 and I’m well out of my used warranty etc. 

Cheers. Would be interesting to see if they've moved the intake manifold and throttle body to do the job or not. Doing a bit of reading, it looks like that's the official suggestion from VAG but some techs try and do it blind or from underneath to reduce the time taken for the job. 

Well, the job has overrun and I won’t get my car back until tomorrow. It seems as though it is being a pain of a job to do. 

I’ll see what I can get out of them when I pick it up, but I’m not that mechanically minded, albeit trying to take more interest. 

I’ll let you know what I find out tomorrow afternoon. 

• Like 2

On 14/07/2023 at 09:18, Octaviarse said:

If you get a moment it would be interesting to hear confirmation of the parts list because my lot didn't mention coolant regulator but quoted for the union

The list depends if you are buying genuine (vw), as the thermostat module and water pump and belt are listed separately and you need the thermal management module (also known as coolant regulator or electronic thermostat) in addition and the union to join the oil cooler. It is plastic with rubber o rings and joins between tmu and oil cooler - it should be replaced.

On the other hand, the oem manufacturer ina supply the thermal control unit as one, with the pump already fitted and the belt in the one box and as one part. (The belt is a pita and I didn't replace as its very tricky getting to the bolt for the pulley on the balance shaft). 

So in addition to the ina thermal management module all you need is the union oh plus more coolant in either case. 

Thermal management unit = thermal management module =  thermostat = coolant regulator = electronic thermostat. Its all the same thing a plastic box with a servo controlled sleeve that the ecu instruction when and how far to open. 

The only difference with aftermarket, as mentioned is some come including the water pump bolted up and included.  

Schematic and some explanation and a picture intact with water pump bolted up at:

http://www.techtalk.ie/the-thermal-management-module/

Edited by TheClient

• 2 months later...

As one of the more recent threads on the EA888 water pump funtimes, I thought I might try my luck here with a query...

My most recent (independent - QS Tuning, W.Sussex) service highlighted that mine now needs replacing. I guess I should consider myself lucky to have had no issues in last 6 years, 55k miles in! I know it's a hefty job - as shown by @TheClientabove, as well as mentioned by the techs at QST - so I may also put in for the new uprated clutch whilst they're at it, since they'll be under the car for a day+ with subframe off.

Anyway - TL;DR - Has anyone got direct or even anecdotal experience of the cast aluminium water pump upgrades? (i.e., those from Underground Division / Darkside Developments - which are the only 2 I can find that I believe fit the 2016> EA888s).

I'm not one to replace a known-faulty OEM part with another known-faulty OEM part, especially if it's a hefty investment each time. That said, I'm not sure whether the thermostat module also needs replacing at same time... 

On 15/07/2023 at 10:28, TheClient said:

(Thanks - this was useful btw - though I suspect I'll need to chat to QST in terms of their experience of replacements).

Any thoughts welcome and appreciated.

1 hour ago, Ads230 said:

As one of the more recent threads on the EA888 water pump funtimes, I thought I might try my luck here with a query...

My most recent (independent - QS Tuning, W.Sussex) service highlighted that mine now needs replacing. I guess I should consider myself lucky to have had no issues in last 6 years, 55k miles in! I know it's a hefty job - as shown by @TheClientabove, as well as mentioned by the techs at QST - so I may also put in for the new uprated clutch whilst they're at it, since they'll be under the car for a day+ with subframe off.

Anyway - TL;DR - Has anyone got direct or even anecdotal experience of the cast aluminium water pump upgrades? (i.e., those from Underground Division / Darkside Developments - which are the only 2 I can find that I believe fit the 2016> EA888s).

I'm not one to replace a known-faulty OEM part with another known-faulty OEM part, especially if it's a hefty investment each time. That said, I'm not sure whether the thermostat module also needs replacing at same time... 

(Thanks - this was useful btw - though I suspect I'll need to chat to QST in terms of their experience of replacements).

Any thoughts welcome and appreciated.

I didn't know there were any waterpump upgrades available!!

To be honest, if you look on the grassed area in my photo of parts removed,   you will see the module with the waterpump bolted up. the waterpump I'd already alloy. It is the inners of the module workings that seem to fail  like the plastic seal bushes and so on. In my case they eventually leak into the pcb and its then fried. In other cases I've seen it still tends to be the workings of the module, rather the water pump itself That leaks. So I think your stuck with replacing and expecting a very strong possibility of  failure in a similar time frame. Mine did about 6.5 years, 75k miles. But some element of failure will be duty cycle related...   

• Like 1

Yeah, I didn't realise either until I spent a bit of time researching this morning. I'm more confident in the Darkside version, since it's a component add-on to the already alloy piece itself. 

To expand on my water pump issue, I've had absolutely minimal leakage over the last 2 months since diagnosis & have had zero overheating instances before - my presumption is that it's a preventative measure before the leak gets too bad and fries the PCB as you mentioned. But yes, could be parts failure or just wear & tear.

I might discuss the above points with QST, and keep in touch during the day(s) it's in the garage with some hypothetical IF > THEN parts & costs to ensure it's covered off as best as possible. 

Either way, happy to be a guinea pig for the 'upgrades' and give feedback if/when fitted 👍

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this thread to say I have a 19 reg vRS 245 with less than 30k miles on it, which gave me the "COOLANT WARNING" beeps 8 weeks apart. 

Local independant has comfirmed it's the water pump, quoting me all in roughly £900

said it was common thing on some VAG cars due to plastic pump

he suggested getting in touch with Skoda to see about a contribution but I'm not sure it's worth trying

Edited by Wet Kipper

well, Skoda UK say "you need to get the Dealer to check it out before we can decide if any Goodwill can apply" and that the diagnostic check would cost £100

It's probably not worth paying even more for the extra check, in the hope that there might be some money off what will likely be a more expensive repair bill

Providing the car has had all servicing carried out at Skoda, you have a good chance of getting them to contribute, as in the eyes of UK law the failure of this part in this short time frame is likely to be seen as the goods not being of an appropriate quality. 

The process is that you will need to get it booked in at a dealer for them to diagnose the issue and generate a quote. You then need to inform them you are not prepared to pay that much for the reasons outlined above. They will then negotiate with Skoda over how much the dealer and Skoda themselves are prepared to contribute and how much you will be left to pay. You are best getting in touch with Skoda yourself at that point and opening a complaint to run alongside the dealer request so they know you are expecting a contribution. 

I have just done this and the dealers initial quote of £1300/£1400 was slashed down to a requested £300 contribution paid by myself. Of course, remember that as long as you pay something, you then get 24months parts and labour guarantee on the job.