Opening up &/or flipping the dummy spare wheel well...

Ann_Other

As title suggests:

• Has anyone investigated opening up &/or flipping the dummy spare wheel well in a yeti to accommodate a full sized spare wheel in the pre-existing space, thereby negating the need for dummy floors and "mere" space-saver?!

I am keen to have the greater confidence and security of having a full-sized spare but also have an elderly dog on board that enters by the rear passenger doors (with seat tipped forward) and don't want to inconvenience the dog or reduce rear windscreen visibility with a raised false floor, necessitated by existing space-saver kits...

Surely it would be a relatively simple job for a fabricator to cut into the dummy well to create space for a full-sized wheel?? 

If the well has a cavity and second floor it would just be a case of tidying up the newly-cut edges?

If the well does not have a second floor, one could presumably flip the cut-out portion, weld it back in leaving a new cavity for the spare?

I have the 4x4 version with the raised suspension - I'm hoping this should make this feasible without encroaching into drivetrain Etc... but what do I know??! 

• Any thoughts on the fabrication/mechanics?

I'll cross the bridge of how this might impact on insurance later down the road...

Cheers!

6 hours ago, Ann_Other said:

I have the 4x4 version with the raised suspension - I'm hoping this should make this feasible without encroaching into drivetrain Etc... but what do I know??! 

Not enough!

Look underneath and you will see that having the rear differential puts paid to any ideas of lowering the spare wheel well.

Why do you call it a dummy spare wheel well?

I’m thinking about a tow hitch carrier, as I’m going to be running larger tyres soon. 

might be an idea for you. There are ones that swing out, so you can access the boot unhindered.