Which Karoq DSG?

nonuffinprof

Recently changed wife's mk1 diesel Tiguan for a Karoq and in semi-rural driving have no problem getting low 40's of MPG on the display (so the real MPG will be a little lower).

Had a 1,5TSi DSG Tiguan as a courtesy car and that showed...45MPG.

I think the dealer can be important - we were luckly with the VW as the dealer (a smaller one, but part of a big group) always seemed keen to help, even though they were a bit thick at times.  The Skoda dealer we've bought from has a remarkably epic reputation locally, although time will tell.  

We have a couple of Hondas in the family and won't ever darken the door of our local Honda dealer again.  There used to be two great dealers locally, but Honda canned them and appointed someone else who are the worst franchise dealer I've ever dealt with.  Lots of Honda dealers have closed.  Honda UK is now even worse than VW UK Group customer service (and that's saying something).

Thanks Toot. Knew I could rely on you!

I have it in an email from the salesman that the car has "the DQ200 wet clutch" after he supposedly checked with the mechanics: doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that they know what they are doing!

I plan to hang on to the car for as long as possible ( say 10 years but at low mileage, 10-12k/year) so don't really want a problem part to worry about once I'm unable to get a warranty. Most of the stuff I've read on the DQ200 suggests that the problem was on earlier plates and should have been engineered out by now, so maybe "dreaded" wasn't the right adjective. How about the much discussed but probably fine now DQ200?! If people really think it is no longer an issue, then that's fine.

On mpgs, yes, both are the combined figures from Honest John. I was a bit dubious about the 8 mpg difference between the Tiguan and the Karoq, given its the same engine, but there was a similar gap when I did my test drives, both of which  were obviously slightly more cautious than I normally drive. The long term average on the Karoq I drove was an impressive 43.8 mpg at an average speed of 36mph, whereas the Tiguan was 32mpg long term (didn't note down average speed).

And yes, going with what's comfortable and fun to drive sounds like good words of advice. The complication is that my wife will drive it more regularly than me (I cycle to work, she goes by car) and she presently drives a Fabia. I suspect that the Karoq will win out as less of a jump for her. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rory too--just spotted your post! For some reason it wasn't showing or i didn't make it to page 2. Interesting that you got good mpg out of the Tiguan. I found it great to drive, so maybe I shouldn't be put off by the snooty/ incompetent main dealer.And yes, Honda Leeds has closed too. The Honda dealer in Harrogate has a tiny plot but pleasant people and friends report that it's good, if expensive. I wonder why Honda do so badly in the UK when they are so big worldwide.

How did you work out it was AWD?  

YK69YEV
TMBKR7N UXL2010434 Karoq SE L 1.5 TSI 150 PS DSG Velvet red metallic Engine number: DPCAC15770

Yes, would be funny if it were AWD (does AWD reduce mpg even if you have it switched off?) and good news if it has the DQ 381!

The car is being brought over from another branch, so that might explain things!

Thanks Breezy Pete! That certainly matches with what I thought I was buying! There's a 2020 Tiguan TSI Match DSG going at an independent garage for almost the same money as the 69 plate Karoq with similar mileage but with a different autobox (DQ381). Given the scepticism over whether the mpg is really that different between the Tiguan and the Karoq, would anyone counsel going for the Tiguan? No heated seats but I could always get a heated seated cover.

Others will know about them.

You get a 1.5 TSI (EVO) or a 1.5 TSI ACT (Active Cylinder Technology)  shuts down 2 cylinders when not needed, little load on the engine.

No idea if also classed as an a EVO.

I have no idea if they used a DQ381 DSG with a FWD 1.5 TSI in a Tiguan, but if someone told you it has that then lets hope they are correct.

EDIT.

VW Forums with people that asked seemed to agree they had a DQ381, then started talking about 40,000 mile service intervals, 

then about DQ500,s which has nothing to do with a 1.5 TSI.

So maybe VW gave the better box to the VW,s.  Now if it is actually better is yet to be proved as there are ones having issues just as early DQ200,s did.

Well not that early as it went on for over a decade with VW group,s Vorsprung Durch Technik taking some kind of work to rule.

Edited by toot

1 hour ago, toot said:

Others will know about them.

You get a 1.5 TSI (EVO) or a 1.5 TSI ACT (Active Cylinder Technology)  shuts down 2 cylinders when not needed, little load on the engine.

No idea if also classed as an a EVO.

I have no idea if they used a DQ381 DSG with a FWD 1.5 TSI in a Tiguan, but if someone told you it has that then lets hope they are correct.

EDIT.

VW Forums with people that asked seemed to agree they had a DQ381, then started talking about 40,000 mile service intervals, 

then about DQ500,s which has nothing to do with a 1.5 TSI.

So maybe VW gave the better box to the VW,s.  Now if it is actually better is yet to be proved as there are ones having issues just as early DQ200,s did.

Well not that early as it went on for over a decade with VW group,s Vorsprung Durch Technik taking some kind of work to rule.

My December 2020 manufactured 1.5 front wheel drive Tiguan is the DQ381. Can't say I've notice much difference in real life driving between it and the DQ200 in my Skoda

DQ381.thumb.png.d6a85e299c0742ecc90d38cfe3f0ff0f.png

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, toot said:

There shouldn't be much to notice really as both 7 gears and they should just work.

Are you leaving the DSG service as long as 80,000 miles @phopeor having it done sooner.

It's a lease car and goes back in December 2024 - it will probably be around 40k miles by then so unless there's a recommendation by the dealer to do so, then no.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, nonuffinprof said:

(does AWD reduce mpg even if you have it switched off?)

The Haldex type system ingages/disengages AWD automatically, as required. There is no option for the driver to switch AWD off.

• Like 1

So drove the Karoq today and it drove spot on. I felt it encouraged leisurely driving (compared to my Focus) and thus good fuel economy but cornered well and was very easy to manoeuvre. You have to depress the accelerator a bit for anything to happen, but that contributed to the relaxing vibe. I appreciated the way you can change it to sport mode via the gear stick: this felt intuitive for me coming from a manual and should be useful if I want to prepare to overtake, although I know there are other ways of increasing the revs. The only concern was the tight legroom (kneeroom to be precise) behind me. I could only really fit in by lifting the table (I'm just under 6' 2"). The way the whole middle seatback comes down if you want an armrest seemed slightly unnecessary, but I think this may make the seat back more comfortable if you actually have to use it as a seat. The tight back seats made me have a quick run out in a Tiguan down the road. Definitely more space (two and a half finger widths) but again the long term average mpgs were wildly different:   23.1 for the Tig as opposed to 41 for the Karoq! Maybe VW drivers just like to rev more, or maybe they just get snarled up in more traffic. I also think the Karoq is much more pleasing to look at from the outside and the boot seems a marginally better shape ( I like the tonneau cover that you can attach to the boot door much more than the standard hatchback parcel shelf in the Tiguan. I tried the voice command feature but neither the salesman nor I could get it to switch radio stations: must be a knack. Also found out that Skoda are happy to offer a warranty up to 10 years/120k. This doesn't seem to be as widely advertised as, say Toyota's 10 year rolling warranty. First two years are free if I take out finance ( servicing costs also included) and can get another three years warranty from them for £849. I think I'll leave the extended warranty for the moment,and  all the other extras where they make their money, unless anyone gives me a good reason to do otherwise (diamondbrite £414, alloys 235, cosmetic repairs 385, GAP 328 and punctures 244). If anyone has a good bargaining tip, I'm all ears, but the price for is hard to beat on autotrader, even from car supermarkets, cinch etc.

Tomorrow my wife and I test drive the hybrid CRV and the Karoq back to back and (hopefully) make our final decision...

General driving about, shops, visiting local National Trusts etc so no significant motorway distances has returned me say 35-40mpg over the past 6 months. We have a 1.5dsg auto Sportline Karoq

@nonuffinprof

Can you say which car / age / miles you are taking about with the Warranty offered.

http://insurewithskoda.co.uk/extended-warranty

Are you saying Diamond Bright on a used car for £414? 

A kit costs £40 or so or go to a detailer. 

You will find GAP offers on here. 

The salesperson is selling you the stuff they get commission on, where is this car Motor Choice or someplace.

Pay the VED yourself, do not have it added to any Finance you might be taking.

PS

What servicing are you getting in which years with the Finance.

Oil & Inspection Services. & Extended Scope?

Are you paying for the extras, Air Filter or Pollen or Brake Fluid, DSG, Haldex etc etc.  What are the actual terms, years 4-10 years?

?

Is it 'All in'  or some other Service Plan you are getting?

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

Many thanks everyone! We are nearly the proud owners of the Karoq, pending a valet! Test drove the CRV with my wife and my back had a very visceral reaction against the seats, especially the passenger one that has no lumbar support (which I hadn't spent much time in before). And after having driving the Karoq the day before I suddenly how much the CRV wallows by comparison. Full credit to DM Keith Skoda Leeds. Very lovely to deal with. Got 5 years comprehensive Skoda warranty for £649 (first two, including services, were free if we took out finance, which we can pay off as soon as we like). Didn't bother with the other extras and got a good deal on the part exchange. The salesman did promise to include timing belt on the service plan, but since no one knows when they are supposed to be changed now, I imagine we'll have to fork out for that when the time comes. Bizarrely, the only thing the warranty excludes is wiring diagnostics.

Thanks again. It feels like we've made the right decision. The Karoq was my first choice when I started looking in July and after a lot of dithering, a load of test drives and far too much time on the internet, we've come full circle. Happy to be firmly part of the Skoda family/ badge, given we also have a 08 Fabia (we'll go down to one car when the Fabia starts to need costly repairs).

Thanks again one and all.

20231006_174944.thumb.jpg.b1240c4119ea490a1156d5ea95e6895c.jpgr extras.

• Like 2