How does climatronic auto/AC modes work?

I dont quite understand these modes and exactly what they do. 

1. When I press the auto button - is it correct that it then regulates the fan speed automatically to reach the temperature that I have chosen?

2. What does the AC button do? What is the difference between having the button activated or not? If it is warm outside and I have set the temperature to say 16 centigrades, and have only the auto button active and not the AC button, will it not cool?

Have tried reading the manual, but this is very poorly explained there..

image.png.8e3580fd543e78e65b3d74e75d625633.png

Auto will also change where the air is directed to.

AC will also help dehumidify the cabin.

I would suggest leaving both turned on and altering the temperature as required :)

• Like 3

AC should be left on all the time.

it is air conditioning so it cools, cleans and dehumidifies the air.

auto will regulate the fan speed and flap positions to maintain the temperature you have asked for.

Generally it should be always on auto and ac :) 

• Like 3

In total agreement....my is on all the time & have never had any issues , okay it probably uses more fuel,but to me its worth it 😉

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ApertureS said:

AC should be left on all the time.

it is air conditioning so it cools, cleans and dehumidifies the air.

Agreed but there is a price to pay in fuel consumption which is noticeable in summer, when you need the heating in winter the air is first cooled before then being heated up again, both consume energy.

I tend to leave my AC (non climatronic) on during 3 seasons, in summer I keep it off until the outside temp is above 26° then I need the extra cooling, we had 43° last year, this August is looking to be hotter.

On 27/07/2023 at 23:21, J.R. said:

Agreed but there is a price to pay in fuel consumption which is noticeable in summer, when you need the heating in winter the air is first cooled before then being heated up again, both consume energy.

I tend to leave my AC (non climatronic) on during 3 seasons, in summer I keep it off until the outside temp is above 26° then I need the extra cooling, we had 43° last year, this August is looking to be hotter.

How does the AC consume fuel? 

Basically everything requires energy / power so fuel.  Heating, cooling, ventilation. 

Even producing energy requires energy.

But the difference can be between Ooo & Ahha, or a Ba,s hair.  

Open the windows, close the windows, run the heating cooling or AC as you want and if a few litres more difference in a year matter then maybe walk or use a bike.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jobjor said:

How does the AC consume fuel?

The first law of Thermodynamics.

49 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The first law of Thermodynamics.

I am well aware of how a heat pump process works, the energy input is usually electrical energy to the compressor. And the byproduct being energy absorbed(cooling)/released(heating) through the processes of evaporation and condensation. I was just a bit unsure how the electrical power consumption of the compressor linked to fuel consumption. I assume the compressor gets power from the battery. Which is charged by the dynamo when driving. But will the engine have to "work harder"/consume more fuel when using elecrical components like fans, seat heating etc? Or is it a case of "you get what you get" and the battery charges at a set rate when driving, and if you happen to use more than the dynamo charges(typically when standing idle), the battery drains?

7 minutes ago, jobjor said:

I assume the compressor gets power from the battery

Incorrect assumption, it is belt driven from the crankshaft pulley together with the alternator, dynamos have not been fitted to vehicles for 50 years.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jobjor said:

will the engine have to "work harder"/consume more fuel when using elecrical components like fans, seat heating etc? Or is it a case of "you get what you get" and the battery charges at a set rate when driving, and if you happen to use more than the dynamo charges(typically when standing idle), the battery drains?

Yes and No.