DVLA clamping cars & vans in Forfar and probably elsewhere.

Ootohere

I spotted this morning in under 1 mile 6 cars and 1 van clamped.

I assume no VED, expired MOT or maybe no insurance.

So done by the DVLA or their contractor.

This is the first i have seen these clamps used or actually anything clamped in Scotland for many years.

DSCN3166.JPG

Edited by toot
  • Like 3

Good + 1

Nice and visible as well plus the sharing on social media should maximise the effect.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

If they could start on the spurious foglights and mis-spaced reg plates too, they coud really make me happy.

Do you mean reg plates that aren't in the middle of the car such as some Alfas or those with 3D lettering or illegal spacings etc?

alfaromeo-giulia-petrol-2018.3d060e.jpg

Yeah, I'd go along with that but I'd like to chuck into the pot the ones designed to fool cameras with their illegal spacings, fonts, 3D characters and incorrect colouring, all so they can try and ignore speed cameras.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevesTruck said:

I've got 2 of those clamps in the shed 😆

I have several of my own that I have bought and used frequently, I once cut one off in a car park where cowboy clampers were operating illegally, that was a bit scary setting to with my petrol disc cutter as the guys they employed were sadistic cop killer bouncer types.

The padlocks usually are worth far more than the clamps, the contractors use that type as if someone cuts it off its just a section of chain to replace and they are much quicker to fit, the clampers have to look over their shoulders as well!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I was still in Southampton I went for lunch at a BT exchange in the area I was working in - Woolston exchange IIRC and there were four or five cars almost one after the other clamped by DVLA with untaxed vehicle stickers on the windscreen. 

IIRC cutting one off or using one without a license to do so is an offence. 

• Like 1

Wonder if you could get clamped for not completing the process of the V11Z ?  To those who do not know full EVs, which pay no road tax until 2025 and the document threatens the weight of the law of one does not complete the process, possibly tow away for not "taxing" actually reaffirming one is still the registered keeper.

Must cost millions not just hundreds of thousands mentioned in the article.  Just wish they would call it something else, ie not tax reminder be Reg renewal and perhaps do purely electronically coupe of weeks before "tax" period ends and only send a paper copy if nothing hear/emailed back 5 days before the expiry date ? 

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/electriccars/article-11895163/DVLA-wasting-hundreds-thousands-year-sending-tax-reminders-EV-owners.html

The letters and envelopes used to send car tax reminders to EV owners waste approximately five tonnes of paper, and collectively take around 100k hours of people's time to login to the DVLA website

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
On 11/08/2023 at 03:46, lol-lol said:

Wonder if you could get clamped for not completing the process of the V11Z ?  To those who do not know full EVs, which pay no road tax until 2025 and the document threatens the weight of the law of one does not complete the process, possibly tow away for not "taxing" actually reaffirming one is still the registered keeper.

Must cost millions not just hundreds of thousands mentioned in the article.  Just wish they would call it something else, ie not tax reminder be Reg renewal and perhaps do purely electronically coupe of weeks before "tax" period ends and only send a paper copy if nothing hear/emailed back 5 days before the expiry date ? 

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/electriccars/article-11895163/DVLA-wasting-hundreds-thousands-year-sending-tax-reminders-EV-owners.html

I've only just seen this thanks to George replying today but, I have seen cases (albeit on Twitter) of EV drivers having their cars clamped by the DVLA for not completing the necessary paperwork.  

• Like 1

Just spotted a guy removing the clamp himself on a van across the road from me.

Watching to see where he puts the clamp.      They will not just let that go.

EDIT.

Left the Clamp against the fence and took a picture and now putting the van 'Off the road'. 

Jacked the car up, got the wheel trim off from behind plate, got the studs out, wheel off, clamp off wheel, wheel on and tightened up, wheel trim on.

Clamp was gone when i looked 20 minutes ago, missed seeing it being collected or pinched. 

I can see where the van is parked now off the Kings Highway. 

• Like 2