Wireless Android Auto issue

Cocobroon

My partner bought a new Kia Ceed, and her phone refused to be stable with AA. Everyone else’s phones paired immediately, so back to the dealer for advice. Tried his phone - no problem, tried hers - failed. He then looked at her phone and declared that her phone was too old (which it was), and may need a new one. New one obtained, and all good after. May not answer everyone’s problems, but sorted hers.

• 2 weeks later...

So a quick update which hopefully some might find helpful. By chance the other day, I was just about to leave my driveway and forgot something in the house so cut the engine, got back to the car and started the engine and then AA connected via bluetooth and stay connected. It appears shutting down the engine and then restarting connects AA successfully over bluetooth for me. Bit of a weird one but thought I would let you know. 

Thanks for this suggestion and all the others. I have tried them all and I can only connect using a wired connection still. I keep hoping a software upgrade sometime will resolve it. In the meantime at leat my phone gets a charge when I'm driving 

• 2 weeks later...

I like the thought of wireless AA but being able to top up any battery charge nicked by connection with the car (wired or otherwise) for navigation etc means plugging it in.  Unless of course you've somehow wangled wireless charging too of course 

I always fit Brodit holders and one is going in my imminent Karoq SE L.  Hopefully collecting it next week.

5 hours ago, Viffer800 said:

I like the thought of wireless AA but being able to top up any battery charge nicked by connection with the car (wired or otherwise) for navigation etc means plugging it in.  Unless of course you've somehow wangled wireless charging too of course 

I always fit Brodit holders and one is going in my imminent Karoq SE L.  Hopefully collecting it next week.

I've got wireless charging in the car but the phone's too old for it. Brodit holder to the left of the gear lever & a 30cm USBc to USBmicro does the business. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this unit on Facebook which if you believe the marketing it'll solve the BT connection problems most seem to have. Expensive to me as I'm happy to use the cable to attach the phone, though this does look a little messier.

https://www.ottocastcarplay.com/products/pro-wireless?fbclid=IwAR36dOkqiOvqPCR1xB_Bk5lBo0YCK4KsaMg2LYrlvAuWRy6HLqFZ1D0ti7M_aem_AeblFtl-0nUfTlILApHXedjw2xpoNmGoTLdCZx_p8GW8JeQNypbhXHD1zs5lPkIwXlCiHAG6xaYEMs0nSfp0GFrU

And also this on Amazon as I looked at the Facebook one!

Wireless Android Auto Adapter, Android Auto USB C Dongle for OEM Converts Wired Android Auto to Wireless, Android Auto Wireless Bluetooth Adapter https://amzn.eu/d/eo9UbDz

Edited by JohnArm
Extra link

Here's one for you

When I went to pick my car up last Friday the salesman paired my phone with a cable.  I was going to go with doing via Bluetooth but he insisted "it was better".  Didn't pursue it as I thought "Whatever"  😁

Anyway.....  I have wireless Android Auto in my 2022 SE L and it has not missed a beat. 

Whether it was due to pairing with the cable or because I had asked for any map and Infotainment system updates to be I don't know.  Maybe both.  Who knows

Edited by Viffer800
Added extra info

7 minutes ago, Viffer800 said:

Here's one for you

When I went to pick my car up last Friday the salesman paired my phone with a cable.  I was going to go with doing via Bluetooth but he insisted "it was better".  Didn't pursue it as I thought "Whatever"  😁

Anyway.....  I have wireless Android Auto in my 2022 SE L and it has not missed a beat. 

Whether it was due to pairing with the cable or because I had asked for any map and Infotainment system updates to be I don't know.  Maybe both.  Who knows

1) Do you have a phone with wireless charging?

2) Does the car have the wireless charging pad?

You might still have to address the issue of battery drain on the phone if you can't charge wirelessly (for either reason above).

Just now, IanPerry316 said:

1) Do you have a phone with wireless charging?

2) Does the car have the wireless charging pad?

You might still have to address the issue of battery drain on the phone if you can't charge wirelessly (for either reason above).

1) Yes

2) No

Absolutely.  But if I'm only going for a short journey and my phone is fully/well charged I wouldn't bother plugging in the cable.   Most of my journeys (to customers premises) are fairly short and the phone has a decent sized battery and holds its charge quite well.

FWIW, I have a Brodit phone holder so can bung the handset in that and plug it in if I need a battery top up or to stop it draining too much

6 minutes ago, Viffer800 said:

1) Yes

2) No

Absolutely.  But if I'm only going for a short journey and my phone is fully/well charged I wouldn't bother plugging in the cable.   Most of my journeys (to customers premises) are fairly short and the phone has a decent sized battery and holds its charge quite well.

FWIW, I have a Brodit phone holder so can bung the handset in that and plug it in if I need a battery top up or to stop it draining too much

You seem to have covered all angles.

As long as you remember (when going on the occasional long journey) to make sure you've got the cable with you!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IanPerry316 said:

You seem to have covered all angles.

As long as you remember (when going on the occasional long journey) to make sure you've got the cable with you!!

A cable is permanently plugged into one of the two USB sockets so available if I need to charge it. 

On a related note I discovered that the USB ports are only live when the ignition is on but the 12v socket next to them is permanently live. That's a bit of a nuisance tbh as my dashcam is plugged into that. Might need to get a hard wired set up with a piggy back fuse holder. 

2 minutes ago, Viffer800 said:

A cable is permanently plugged into one of the two USB sockets so available if I need to charge it. 

On a related note I discovered that the USB ports are only live when the ignition is on but the 12v socket next to them is permanently live. That's a bit of a nuisance tbh as my dashcam is plugged into that. Might need to get a hard wired set up with a piggy back fuse holder. 

You could plug the dashcam into the second usb c socket. I do this, but when I first tried this the dashcam wouldn't work as it thought it was connected to a computer. Solved this by buying a usb c to a female usb a data-blocking cable, which sorted it out.

5 minutes ago, Viffer800 said:

Better idea.

I had the (front & back) dashcam (Nextbase 522 + Rear Window Cam) fitted by the dealer, hard-wired to a permanently live fuseway.

The camera turns itself on when the engine is started (vibration detector) & will do so if the car is 'nudged' in a car park, so (hopefully) no scratch & runs anymore !!

It turns itself off when it detects no engine vibration - even when waiting in a queue & the stop/start has kicked in - but is immediately back in action when engine restarts.

I've virtually forgotten that it's there !

10 minutes ago, IanPerry316 said:

Better idea.

I had the (front & back) dashcam (Nextbase 522 + Rear Window Cam) fitted by the dealer, hard-wired to a permanently live fuseway.

The camera turns itself on when the engine is started (vibration detector) & will do so if the car is 'nudged' in a car park, so (hopefully) no scratch & runs anymore !!

It turns itself off when it detects no engine vibration - even when waiting in a queue & the stop/start has kicked in - but is immediately back in action when engine restarts.

I've virtually forgotten that it's there !

I hard wired it in my wife's Fiesta and the Seat Arona that the Karoq has replaced. 

I will probably end up doing it at some point. 

Maybe the only thing preventing me just cracking on is I had keyhole surgery on my knee recently and a bit wary of kneeling on it to get at the fuse board. 

Visiting a mate with a car scissor lift in January so may take the opportunity to get it up on that 😀

4 hours ago, Routemaster1461 said:

You could plug the dashcam into the second usb c socket. I do this, but when I first tried this the dashcam wouldn't work as it thought it was connected to a computer. Solved this by buying a usb c to a female usb a data-blocking cable, which sorted it out.

That sounds like a good plan.  Off for a look for one of those.  In my case it would be a USB-C (car) to Mini USB (dashcam)

Cheers

I think the usb c is always live in mine.

So my Sportline has wireless phone charging but also had the Android auto issue. Turning off WiFi then accessing android auto gets it working for that journey although it cut out a few times.

All very odd, anyone any suggestions or fixes? Annoyingly in the past I've found wireless to be more reliable than a wired connection. 

8 minutes ago, Viffer800 said:

Every day is indeed a school day

I thought my Nextbase 222X had Parking Mode but I could only find a setting for the G Sensor in Settings.  After some more searching and fettling I discovered that you need to press the Menu button twice to access a separate set of feature settings.  One of which is, you've guessed it, Parking Mode.   Enabled it.  Turned off ignition.  Waited 5 minutes (the period it states in the manual that it will go on to Standby if no movement detected)  Bingo!!! 

Don't need the IfTTT work round now but handy to know I have that as a back up if required.

Isn't it nice when something on a modern vehicle (albeit an added extra) is actually made to work as hoped for.

Now see how long it takes you to forget it's there !!

11 minutes ago, IanPerry316 said:

Isn't it nice when something on a modern vehicle (albeit an added extra) is actually made to work as hoped for.

Now see how long it takes you to forget it's there !!

Indeed Ian

You'll notice that I've deleted the post you quoted as I thought it was actually more relevant to the separate [https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/519918-12v-socket-and-dashcam-power-feed-issue/thread on dashcams.   I've re-posted my comment there but obviously not entirely irrelevant to this topic considering the various posts we've had.  

TBH, it was quite satisfying getting to the bottom of it and making it work as I wanted it to. 
👍

Edited by Viffer800
Add info

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone had an update on the wireless android auto issue? Mine still disconnects unless I turn the WiFi off before connecting wireless android auto 

Exactly the same problem with new superb l&k.

What a let down. Something so basic should work and not spoil the experience. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Finally, I had a large update come through on my infotainment system on my Karoq SL 1.5 2023 this weekend. It has fixed the bluetooth / android auto issues. Solid connection now without having to use a cable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shill360 said:

Finally, I had a large update come through on my infotainment system on my Karoq SL 1.5 2023 this weekend. It has fixed the bluetooth / android auto issues. Solid connection now without having to use a cable. 

Would you be kind enough to post the version number following the software update? 0330, perhaps? Thanks.