How To: Retrofit a heated steering wheel to a mk3 Octavia

Purpletom

Hi,

I've had several mk1 Octavia's over the years but a few years ago owned a BMW 3-series with a heated steering wheel. Wow...what a thing to have and a real solution to the raynaud's that I suffer with in the winter. Anyway..I sold the BMW and ended up in a mk3 Leon for a bit. I managed to retrofit a HSW to that car and wrote a how-to guide on the seatcupra.net forum. The Leon has now gone - because obviously I wanted to be back in an Octavia - and I have completed the same retrofit in my 2017 FL vRS, using some of the same parts. Got to love MQB platform sharing!

So this how to guide is basically a rewritten version of the guide for the Leon, utilising some of the same pictures, albeit the Skoda specific ones are included. I'm going to say that this will work on any MQB platform Octavia, but I'm thinking you will need a 'high' level BCM to get it to work and probably heated seats as a minimum. Can't be 100% certain, but it was a straightforward fit on my vRS (with winter pack).

Anyway...here goes:

It's actually a really easy retrofit once you get the right parts and if you look around it needn't be mega expensive. The total cost for me to do this retrofit was in the region of £450. So it's not the cheapest by any stretch however if you keep an eye out on eBay and other selling sites the parts do come up for sale at reasonable prices.

*I'm not writing this as an idiots guide and won't include how-to's for things like removing the glovebox, airbag, steering wheel or other things. There are guides for that online if you need them, but please only attempt this if you're competent to do so*

This retrofit details the procedure for fitting the HSW from a mk3 Octavia/Superb. The mk4 platform wheels may well work however I preferred to keep the wheel and MFSW buttons that matched my car.

Parts Required:

- The heated steering wheel from a Mk3 Octavia or Mk3 Superb. They are available in both manual and DSG however if you want a flat bottomed one then it'll be DSG only as far as I can tell. I couldn't find a manual flat bottomed HSW anywhere. There are a variety of part numbers but as an easy reference you're looking for the tell-tale two-pin plug that provides power to the heating elements, like this:

IMG_2387.thumb.jpeg.d6ab32d669af67c85e6bd9a1663eae90.jpeg

I bought one from a manual Octavia and sent it off to Royal Steering Wheels to be retrimmed in vRS leather with red stitching (you can see the plug in the below picture too). It's worth noting that if you want a retrim you will end up with a slightly thicker steering wheel because it's not possible to remove the leather from a HSW without damaging the elements. So the retrim leather is laid on top of the existing wheel. The heat still penetrates through without issue:

IMG_4260.thumb.jpeg.7c3575f7c13ee1faa705f5a2ed1c31b0.jpeg

- The HSW specific airbag for the steering wheel - part number is 6V0 880 201 T 1ZY.  God knows why but Skoda, in their wisdom, use a different airbag because the wheel is a different shape at the top. This picture shows the differences - the HSW specific airbag is at the bottom of the picture:

IMG_4261.thumb.jpeg.c8e9913f626c490682c8a8bcd921f274.jpeg

- Steering wheel control module (also known as clock spring or slip ring) - 5Q0 953 549 B or 5Q0 953 549 D. The 'D' suffix is the newest part number, supercedes the 'B' suffix and is available new on eBay for around £150. These control modules have a different type of plug (14-pin as opposed to 16-pin) which has larger power and earth pins for the HSW, pictured here:

IMG_2350.thumb.jpeg.ccc5d634a049c20c454fd5b2a529f754.jpeg

- Kufatec MQB heated steering wheel retrofit loom - the Kufatec part number for RHD cars is 43696-1.

OR*

- 14-pin multiplug so you can re-pin the existing 16-pin plug - 5Q0 972 726
* if you choose to repin the existing plug (as I did) then you'll need to sort out some wiring and pins to suit the power feed and ground wire needed to power the HSW. 

The Kufatec loom makes it pretty much plug and play.

Tools needed:

Standard workshop tools including Torx bits
12mm triple square (splined) bit for the steering wheel centre bolt
VCDS (or equivalent) for coding - Hex-Net or Hex-V2 as a minimum for MQB coding.

Procedure:

- Grab a quick VCDS snapshot of the long coding on your current steering wheel module in case you ever return the car to standard.

- Disconnect the battery

- Remove the airbag, steering wheel, column shroud trim, glovebox and centre console side trims, something like this:

IMG_3982.thumb.jpeg.0549b5e70242bd322c2ee42bc00db512.jpeg

- Remove the steering wheel control module. 

- Unclip and pull out the fusebox

- Run the Kufatec loom from column to the fusebox using an appropriate routing where it won't chafe on anything

- Fit the power feed and earth of the Kufatec loom to the fusebox and surrounding area according to their instructions
(if building your own loom, you can use fuse position SC24 or any along the same row - they are a terminal 30 feed)

- 
Refit the fusebox

- Fit the new steering wheel control module

- Plug the Kufatec loom into the steering wheel control module
(if building your own loom, now is the time to re-pin the original column plug into the new 14-pin plug - this is well documented on other forums however the pin-out is as follows:

Pin 1 (16-pin) red/white to Pin 2 (14-pin)
Pin 2 (16-pin) brown to Pin 4 (14-pin)
Pin 3 (16-pin) orange/brown to Pin 5 (14-pin)
Pin 4 (16-pin) orange/green to Pin 6 (14-pin)
Pin 5 (16-pin) black/white to Pin 7 (14-pin)
Pin 6 (16-pin) black/red (if present) to Pin 13 (14-pin)
Pin 7 (16-pin) purple/red to Pin 12 (14-pin)
Pin 8 (16-pin) purple/blue to Pin 14 (14-pin)
Pin 11 (16-pin) blue/grey to Pin 9 (14-pin)
PIn 14 (16-pin) black/grey to Pin 10 (14-pin)
Pin 16 (16-pin) black to Pin 11 (14-pin)

Pin 1 of the 14-pin plug goes to a 15A fuse protected terminal 30 feed
Pin 8 of the 14-pin plug goes to earth.

- Refit the centre console side trims and steering column shroud.

- Refit the glovebox.

- Fit the heated steering wheel

- Fit the new airbag

Double check you're happy with everything, then reconnect the battery. Should look something like this:

IMG_4270.thumb.jpeg.070185f0a63a19d399b3c14d0633775d.jpeg

Fire up VCDS again, do the relevant coding.

Module 08 (HVAC) - Coding - Long Coding Helper (and say "yes" to the "trying experimental features" to see more descriptions of bits)

- Byte 11: Add a tick to bit2 and bit3
- Byte 13: Choose whether you want the wheel to come on automatically with either outside temperature or wheel temperature or not at all.

Done!

Enjoy a little HSW logo come up on your HVAC control screen (press the 'menu' button to access this screen) :

IMG_4265.thumb.jpeg.39ff4e7fefd2baa6d4fc8592cbee60c7.jpeg

IMG_4266.thumb.jpeg.40617ca4b9a4277fa782b37837a443af.jpeg

Enjoy the extra settings for the HVAC where you can alter the temperature of the HSW, decide whether you want the HSW to come on automatically (3 degrees C or below if I remember rightly) and choose if you want the HSW to come on automatically with the heated seats.

IMG_4268.thumb.jpeg.12ef1b739f0d80c06d69aa457889b4c4.jpeg

Also, if you do switch the drivers heated seat on then this option comes up where you can quickly choose the temperature of the HSW as well:

IMG_4269.thumb.jpeg.f362ce3df98763dea329c79c3d2c87d3.jpeg

Sorry about the dust and fingerprints on the screen....it's due a clean inside.

Check on VCDS to see what's going on in the measuring blocks within Module 16 -Steering Wheel:

IMG_2362.thumb.jpeg.9dd31bb333dab9f4b2a1c1033c04049e.jpeg

Look forward to having warm hands come the winter.

NB - Mine is a 2017 manual vRS so I didn't have to worry about any coding of the DSG paddles etc. All of the steering wheel buttons worked on my car without any issue. Yours may not be the same, but any issues would be easily solvable with the relevant coding alterations I'm sure.

Thanks 
Tom

Edited by Purpletom
Picture rearrangement
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 06/08/2023 at 20:34, ApertureS said:

Always good to see people writing more guides!

The airbag difference is a PITA. After 2020 i believe they kept the 'heated' airbag design for all cars with or without heated wheels.

Ah yes, thank you, that is something that rings a bell from the research I did before starting the job.

Definitely worth checking what airbag you’ve got before committing to the retrofit because you might already have the right one 👍🏻

Thanks

Tom

• 2 months later...

Nice work! I’ve just sorted this on a car but the car didn’t have a CAN Terminal 15 connection on the existing clock spring so there were only 8 pins in the 16 pin connection so the wheel buttons don’t work and there is an error in Module 19. Has anyone had this issue before? Thanks 🙏 

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

Nice work! I’ve just sorted this on a car but the car didn’t have a CAN Terminal 15 connection on the existing clock spring so there were only 8 pins in the 16 pin connection so the wheel buttons don’t work and there is an error in Module 19. Has anyone had this issue before? Thanks 🙏 

Got a picture of the pins you did have? I’ll check it against a wiring diagram.

mine had only 7 pins and I’ve got no issues.

What we’re the specs of the car? And did the wheel buttons work before?

the wheel buttons go straight through on a LINbus pin to the gateway - pin 8 (new 14 pin connector) is a violet/white wire which is the one for the steering controls.

Edited by ApertureS

• 2 months later...

Hi to everyone, i'm from Poland, first of all sorry for my language, I tried to retrofit heated steering wheel on my octavia 3 2014, but without happy end. I changed clockspring to 5q0953549d, add wire connections, changed steering wheel with heating. I coded HVAC byte 2 and 3. After that  heating is not working and three is no errors on HVAC. The icon of heated steering wheel exist, but highlights Orange just one second and after that still is white. Thanks in advance for your help. Adam

IMG20231216145505.jpg

IMG20231216145515.jpg

3 hours ago, Krywan2494 said:

Hi to everyone, i'm from Poland, first of all sorry for my language, I tried to retrofit heated steering wheel on my octavia 3 2014, but without happy end. I changed clockspring to 5q0953549d, add wire connections, changed steering wheel with heating. I coded HVAC byte 2 and 3. After that  heating is not working and three is no errors on HVAC. The icon of heated steering wheel exist, but highlights Orange just one second and after that still is white. Thanks in advance for your help. Adam.

Hi Adam,

I did have this same problem once on my Leon a few weeks after doing the retrofit. I removed the coding then recoded it and it worked fine. 

But I have also read about issues with the steering wheel control module causing this problem.  Where did you get your module from? 

Thanks

Tom

Th

3 hours ago, Krywan2494 said:

Hi to everyone, i'm from Poland, first of all sorry for my language, I tried to retrofit heated steering wheel on my octavia 3 2014, but without happy end. I changed clockspring to 5q0953549d, add wire connections, changed steering wheel with heating. I coded HVAC byte 2 and 3. After that  heating is not working and three is no errors on HVAC. The icon of heated steering wheel exist, but highlights Orange just one second and after that still is white. Thanks in advance for your help. Adam

This is normally caused by a fault with the temperature sensor in the wheel.

Have you checked live data to see if you have an accurate temperature?

Did you replace the wheel and steering controls together? Or are the steering controls from a separate setup?

Is the clockspring genuine?

Are there errors in any other modules?

10 hours ago, Krywan2494 said:

Thanks for response, clockspring is new from aliexpress, steering wheel is used from octavia FL 2019. In measure value temperature of steering wheel is usualy 12-13 degrees Celsius.

11 hours ago, ApertureS said:

Th

This is normally caused by a fault with the temperature sensor in the wheel.

Have you checked live data to see if you have an accurate temperature?

Did you replace the wheel and steering controls together? Or are the steering controls from a separate setup?

Is the clockspring genuine?

Are there errors in any other modules?

There is no errors in other modules.

20 minutes ago, Krywan2494 said:

I think Ihave to but a clockspring from VW dealer.

Just to check:

- You’ve used a Terminal 30 connection within the fuse box?

- You have a fuse in the correct place?

- You’ve used an adequate earth/ground point? 
- You’re happy that you’ve correctly followed and completed the alterations to the pin-outs between the 16 pin and 14 pin plugs? 
- Or, if you’ve used a Kufatec adaptor, that it’s correctly wired up? 

If you’re happy with all that and you’ve done the necessary coding then chances are it is the steering wheel control module (clockspring). I used a genuine one and have had no issues in over a year now.

Thanks

Tom

Hi, yes I put a fuse 10a on place of 4th fuse i fuse box. Ground point near fusebox. I correctly repin to 24pin pług, there is no errors in clockspring and everything id working properly (despite heating SW). Coding of byte 11 bit 2 and 3. So I have to by o genuine clospring 5q0953549d.

27 minutes ago, Krywan2494 said:

Hi, yes I put a fuse 10a on place of 4th fuse i fuse box. Ground point near fusebox. I correctly repin to 24pin pług, there is no errors in clockspring and everything id working properly (despite heating SW). Coding of byte 11 bit 2 and 3. So I have to by o genuine clospring 5q0953549d.

If you’re 100% happy with the wiring and everything else seems to be ok then I’d say yes, try a genuine control module.

Maybe there is another coding or adaptation (in another modules) to be changed , but at the moment I am waiting for news clockspring.

9 hours ago, Purpletom said:

Just to check:

- You’ve used a Terminal 30 connection within the fuse box?

- You have a fuse in the correct place?

- You’ve used an adequate earth/ground point? 
- You’re happy that you’ve correctly followed and completed the alterations to the pin-outs between the 16 pin and 14 pin plugs? 
- Or, if you’ve used a Kufatec adaptor, that it’s correctly wired up? 

If you’re happy with all that and you’ve done the necessary coding then chances are it is the steering wheel control module (clockspring). I used a genuine one and have had no issues in over a year now.

Thanks

Tom

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/08/2023 at 19:35, Purpletom said:

Hi,

I've had several mk1 Octavia's over the years but a few years ago owned a BMW 3-series with a heated steering wheel. Wow...what a thing to have and a real solution to the raynaud's that I suffer with in the winter. Anyway..I sold the BMW and ended up in a mk3 Leon for a bit. I managed to retrofit a HSW to that car and wrote a how-to guide on the seatcupra.net forum. The Leon has now gone - because obviously I wanted to be back in an Octavia - and I have completed the same retrofit in my 2017 FL vRS, using some of the same parts. Got to love MQB platform sharing!

So this how to guide is basically a rewritten version of the guide for the Leon, utilising some of the same pictures, albeit the Skoda specific ones are included. I'm going to say that this will work on any MQB platform Octavia, but I'm thinking you will need a 'high' level BCM to get it to work and probably heated seats as a minimum. Can't be 100% certain, but it was a straightforward fit on my vRS (with winter pack).

Anyway...here goes:

It's actually a really easy retrofit once you get the right parts and if you look around it needn't be mega expensive. The total cost for me to do this retrofit was in the region of £450. So it's not the cheapest by any stretch however if you keep an eye out on eBay and other selling sites the parts do come up for sale at reasonable prices.

*I'm not writing this as an idiots guide and won't include how-to's for things like removing the glovebox, airbag, steering wheel or other things. There are guides for that online if you need them, but please only attempt this if you're competent to do so*

This retrofit details the procedure for fitting the HSW from a mk3 Octavia/Superb. The mk4 platform wheels may well work however I preferred to keep the wheel and MFSW buttons that matched my car.

Parts Required:

- The heated steering wheel from a Mk3 Octavia or Mk3 Superb. They are available in both manual and DSG however if you want a flat bottomed one then it'll be DSG only as far as I can tell. I couldn't find a manual flat bottomed HSW anywhere. There are a variety of part numbers but as an easy reference you're looking for the tell-tale two-pin plug that provides power to the heating elements, like this:

IMG_2387.thumb.jpeg.d6ab32d669af67c85e6bd9a1663eae90.jpeg

I bought one from a manual Octavia and sent it off to Royal Steering Wheels to be retrimmed in vRS leather with red stitching (you can see the plug in the below picture too). It's worth noting that if you want a retrim you will end up with a slightly thicker steering wheel because it's not possible to remove the leather from a HSW without damaging the elements. So the retrim leather is laid on top of the existing wheel. The heat still penetrates through without issue:

IMG_4260.thumb.jpeg.7c3575f7c13ee1faa705f5a2ed1c31b0.jpeg

- The HSW specific airbag for the steering wheel - part number is 6V0 880 201 T 1ZY.  God knows why but Skoda, in their wisdom, use a different airbag because the wheel is a different shape at the top. This picture shows the differences - the HSW specific airbag is at the bottom of the picture:

IMG_4261.thumb.jpeg.c8e9913f626c490682c8a8bcd921f274.jpeg

- Steering wheel control module (also known as clock spring or slip ring) - 5Q0 953 549 B or 5Q0 953 549 D. The 'D' suffix is the newest part number, supercedes the 'B' suffix and is available new on eBay for around £150. These control modules have a different type of plug (14-pin as opposed to 16-pin) which has larger power and earth pins for the HSW, pictured here:

IMG_2350.thumb.jpeg.ccc5d634a049c20c454fd5b2a529f754.jpeg

- Kufatec MQB heated steering wheel retrofit loom - the Kufatec part number for RHD cars is 43696-1.

OR*

- 14-pin multiplug so you can re-pin the existing 16-pin plug - 5Q0 972 726
* if you choose to repin the existing plug (as I did) then you'll need to sort out some wiring and pins to suit the power feed and ground wire needed to power the HSW. 

The Kufatec loom makes it pretty much plug and play.

Tools needed:

Standard workshop tools including Torx bits
12mm triple square (splined) bit for the steering wheel centre bolt
VCDS (or equivalent) for coding - Hex-Net or Hex-V2 as a minimum for MQB coding.

Procedure:

- Grab a quick VCDS snapshot of the long coding on your current steering wheel module in case you ever return the car to standard.

- Disconnect the battery

- Remove the airbag, steering wheel, column shroud trim, glovebox and centre console side trims, something like this:

IMG_3982.thumb.jpeg.0549b5e70242bd322c2ee42bc00db512.jpeg

- Remove the steering wheel control module. 

- Unclip and pull out the fusebox

- Run the Kufatec loom from column to the fusebox using an appropriate routing where it won't chafe on anything

- Fit the power feed and earth of the Kufatec loom to the fusebox and surrounding area according to their instructions
(if building your own loom, you can use fuse position SC24 or any along the same row - they are a terminal 30 feed)

- 
Refit the fusebox

- Fit the new steering wheel control module

- Plug the Kufatec loom into the steering wheel control module
(if building your own loom, now is the time to re-pin the original column plug into the new 14-pin plug - this is well documented on other forums however the pin-out is as follows:

Pin 1 (16-pin) red/white to Pin 2 (14-pin)
Pin 2 (16-pin) brown to Pin 4 (14-pin)
Pin 3 (16-pin) orange/brown to Pin 5 (14-pin)
Pin 4 (16-pin) orange/green to Pin 6 (14-pin)
Pin 5 (16-pin) black/white to Pin 7 (14-pin)
Pin 6 (16-pin) black/red (if present) to Pin 13 (14-pin)
Pin 7 (16-pin) purple/red to Pin 12 (14-pin)
Pin 8 (16-pin) purple/blue to Pin 14 (14-pin)
Pin 11 (16-pin) blue/grey to Pin 9 (14-pin)
PIn 14 (16-pin) black/grey to Pin 10 (14-pin)
Pin 16 (16-pin) black to Pin 11 (14-pin)

Pin 1 of the 14-pin plug goes to a 15A fuse protected terminal 30 feed
Pin 8 of the 14-pin plug goes to earth.

- Refit the centre console side trims and steering column shroud.

- Refit the glovebox.

- Fit the heated steering wheel

- Fit the new airbag

Double check you're happy with everything, then reconnect the battery. Should look something like this:

IMG_4270.thumb.jpeg.070185f0a63a19d399b3c14d0633775d.jpeg

Fire up VCDS again, do the relevant coding.

Module 08 (HVAC) - Coding - Long Coding Helper (and say "yes" to the "trying experimental features" to see more descriptions of bits)

- Byte 11: Add a tick to bit2 and bit3
- Byte 13: Choose whether you want the wheel to come on automatically with either outside temperature or wheel temperature or not at all.

Done!

Enjoy a little HSW logo come up on your HVAC control screen (press the 'menu' button to access this screen) :

IMG_4265.thumb.jpeg.39ff4e7fefd2baa6d4fc8592cbee60c7.jpeg

IMG_4266.thumb.jpeg.40617ca4b9a4277fa782b37837a443af.jpeg

Enjoy the extra settings for the HVAC where you can alter the temperature of the HSW, decide whether you want the HSW to come on automatically (3 degrees C or below if I remember rightly) and choose if you want the HSW to come on automatically with the heated seats.

IMG_4268.thumb.jpeg.12ef1b739f0d80c06d69aa457889b4c4.jpeg

Also, if you do switch the drivers heated seat on then this option comes up where you can quickly choose the temperature of the HSW as well:

IMG_4269.thumb.jpeg.f362ce3df98763dea329c79c3d2c87d3.jpeg

Sorry about the dust and fingerprints on the screen....it's due a clean inside.

Check on VCDS to see what's going on in the measuring blocks within Module 16 -Steering Wheel:

IMG_2362.thumb.jpeg.9dd31bb333dab9f4b2a1c1033c04049e.jpeg

Look forward to having warm hands come the winter.

NB - Mine is a 2017 manual vRS so I didn't have to worry about any coding of the DSG paddles etc. All of the steering wheel buttons worked on my car without any issue. Yours may not be the same, but any issues would be easily solvable with the relevant coding alterations I'm sure.

Thanks 
Tom

Awesome post! 

I am researching a way to do it on my 2019 Superb and I find this very useful!

1. In an attempt to anticipate all possible issues, any idea if the clock spring would be the same on cars like my superb which has a 3rd stalk for cruise control?

2. Is the Kufatec loom the same for LHD?

3. I suppose there's no need to tear down the console and glove box on a european car since the fusebox is on the left...?

I'm considering this steering wheel now:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/403800674571?hash=item5e0465510b:g:NQMAAOSww9Vi4Xu3&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0D1ElG7KPbNRg6dWAzW09h7VV16CrmnF%2B6m99cDZHfVCvYbpocl4SnVovyCY8QpRyHPVGjgpPUZFyYkWKOM8FYo0HpxgVayJx5R10lWRBnsvPGjRWG9TALqbT9TNrPSCRE3zH4WU6bvPZkv2pupniZc1nB14d1IdS5IhASgnt0LBodzUSrzWNIsWG1gBFzlFY%2BR80EQx5xjB8W99r6YJ92DCyMkE2gGsIkLfDwCzDspOT9iQuqsk1wAt3q%2FlWqyOZx8XqrUKMh18ZVlVazclxOA%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4Skg9-lYw

Would I have to give up my current 3-stalk setup?

Edited by Inex

46 minutes ago, Inex said:

Awesome post! 

1. In an attempt to anticipate all possible issues, any idea if the clock spring would be the same on cars like my superb which has a 3rd stalk for cruise control?

3. I suppose there's no need to tear down the console and glove box on a european car since the fusebox is on the left...?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/403800674571?hash=item5e0465510b:g:NQMAAOSww9Vi4Xu3&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0D1ElG7KPbNRg6dWAzW09h7VV16CrmnF%2B6m99cDZHfVCvYbpocl4SnVovyCY8QpRyHPVGjgpPUZFyYkWKOM8FYo0HpxgVayJx5R10lWRBnsvPGjRWG9TALqbT9TNrPSCRE3zH4WU6bvPZkv2pupniZc1nB14d1IdS5IhASgnt0LBodzUSrzWNIsWG1gBFzlFY%2BR80EQx5xjB8W99r6YJ92DCyMkE2gGsIkLfDwCzDspOT9iQuqsk1wAt3q%2FlWqyOZx8XqrUKMh18ZVlVazclxOA%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4Skg9-lYw

Stalks remain the same, you are just changing the clockspring.

you need clockspring 5q0953569C

not sure about the loom as the kufatek wiring that is long only needs to go to the fuse box so could be cut short and recrimped I guess.

8 hours ago, Inex said:

Awesome post! 

Kufatec do a LHD specific loom - have a look on their website. 

There should be less strip down required on a LHD car for definite. 

Regarding the mk4 Octavia wheel - it will fit and work however you’ll need a CAN convertor to get the correct functionality with the buttons. I’ve just fitted a mk4 wheel to my mk3 and it was the only solution to getting the buttons to work. 

2 hours ago, Purpletom said:

Regarding the mk4 Octavia wheel - it will fit and work however you’ll need a CAN convertor to get the correct functionality with the buttons. I’ve just fitted a mk4 wheel to my mk3 and it was the only solution to getting the buttons to work. 

Am I right in thinking the heated steering button on the wheel does not work and you still need to go via the infotainment?

2 hours ago, Purpletom said:

You mean a newer can gateway? 🤔 

14 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Am I right in thinking the heated steering button on the wheel does not work and you still need to go via the infotainment?

That’s right, albeit mine comes on automatically below 4 degrees and if I switch the heated seats on then the wheel comes on automatically and I can adjust the temperature on the screen along with the heated seats. 

12 minutes ago, Inex said:

You mean a newer can gateway? 🤔 

No, it’s a CAN convertor albeit I think we’d know it as a LIN convertor. I can’t seem to get the link to paste into here because I’m on my phone, but cars-equipment sell one - it’s not cheap but it works.