How To: Retrofit a heated steering wheel to a mk3 Octavia

Purpletom

On 22/12/2023 at 17:28, Krywan2494 said:

Heating is working! I upgrade can gateway and now everything is ok. 

What gateway did you get? Does the steering wheel heating button work?

On 04/08/2023 at 19:35, Purpletom said:

- Steering wheel control module (also known as clock spring or slip ring) - 5Q0 953 549 B or 5Q0 953 549 D. The 'D' suffix is the newest part number, supercedes the 'B' suffix and is available new on eBay for around £150. These control modules have a different type of plug (14-pin as opposed to 16-pin) which has larger power and earth pins for the HSW, pictured here:

On 21/01/2024 at 22:44, ApertureS said:

you need clockspring 5q0953569C

So I just got two different suggestions for a clock spring. The 569C is almost double the price and can't find anything lower than 240EUR while the others can be found for less than 100EUR.

If the sellers have true pictures, both of these have 14 pins with 2 being slightly larger. 

Which one do you think I should go for? Have you guys used both of those succesfully? @ApertureS - have you?

1 hour ago, Inex said:

So I just got two different suggestions for a clock spring. The 569C is almost double the price and can't find anything lower than 240EUR while the others can be found for less than 100EUR.

If the sellers have true pictures, both of these have 14 pins with 2 being slightly larger. 

Which one do you think I should go for? Have you guys used both of those succesfully? @ApertureS - have you?

549D is for the following cars - I’ve not personally used it and can’t tell you if it’s compatible. But it’s not listed for Skoda.

IMG_9124.thumb.jpeg.4c9ea61f6d1e204c959ae141f0c6efb5.jpeg

whereas 569B (then turns to 569C) is for Skoda superb, Octavia, kodiaq

my guess is D has extra clockspring pins for the cruise control buttons in the steering wheel on VW whereas Skoda has a separate stalk.

Edited by ApertureS

7 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

569D is for the following cars - I’ve not personally used it and can’t tell you if it’s compatible. But it’s not listed for Skoda.

my guess is D has extra clockspring pins for the cruise control buttons in the steering wheel on VW whereas Skoda has a separate stalk.

Hi, I have octavia 2014, and clockspring kostal-5q0953549, so I have to change clockspring to 5q0953549d. I updated cangateway - module 19.

24 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

569D is for the following cars - I’ve not personally used it and can’t tell you if it’s compatible. But it’s not listed for Skoda.

So I should be going for 549 like @Purpletom suggests. Please note the 4. Where are you checking these?

1 hour ago, Inex said:

So I should be going for 549 like @Purpletom suggests. Please note the 4. Where are you checking these?

Superb uses 569B or 569C, the 549 is for VW, it may work but i cant promise that...

Okay so I'm at a stage where I'm waiting for the following parts to arrive:

• Steering wheel with heat and DSG paddles from the same generation car (O3, S3)
  • Slip ring Valeo 251714 OE 5Q0953569C
  • Kufatec wiring loom 43696

I decided to go with the same generation steering wheel to avoid needing the 200EUR LIN adapter that's needed on the new generation ones (will have to sell the already purchased O4 steering wheel)

Now this O3/S3 steering wheel comes without switches, airbag and trim. The vendor confirmed my airbag and trim will fit but claims I need to change my switches (because my current wheel has no flappy paddles. Would anyone know if that's really true? 

Anyone who already took those apart who  knows how they each connect and why I might need new switches (supposedly because the new steering wheel has DSG paddles)?

1 hour ago, Inex said:

• Steering wheel with heat and DSG paddles from the same generation car (O3, S3)

I decided to go with the same generation steering wheel to avoid needing the 200EUR LIN adapter that's needed on the new generation ones (will have to sell the already purchased O4 steering wheel)

Now this O3/S3 steering wheel comes without switches, airbag and trim. The vendor confirmed my airbag and trim will fit but claims I need to change my switches (because my current wheel has no flappy paddles. Would anyone know if that's really true? 

Anyone who already took those apart who  knows how they each connect and why I might need new switches (supposedly because the new steering wheel has DSG paddles)?

Yes, that is unfortunately true. The MFSW buttons are specific to DSG and then even more specific to the HSW as the right hand MFSW button unit has an extra socket for the CAN info for the HSW (temperature etc). 

You are much better off buying the wheel with the MFSW buttons already included unfortunately.

I unfortunately haven’t got my DSG HSW anymore otherwise I’d look for the part number for you.

Edited by Purpletom
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Inex said:

The steering wheel controls need to be specific for a heated steering wheel and for dsg paddles else there will be no connection for the temperature sensor or paddles.

you also need a new airbag if your current one is for a pre 2019 model as your current one is too small.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for confirming!

Another one I just came across from someone else is potentially having to change the wiper arms as well... I am a bit disappointed by this since it seems to grow into something much bigger than anticipated... 

Anyone with front assist that had this retrofit done can confirm?

• Confused 1

The wiper arms? That’s a new one. Do you mean the external wiper arms, as in the things that hold the wipers? 

If so, I can’t imagine for a minute what they’ve got to do with the heated steering wheel…

1 hour ago, Inex said:

Thanks for confirming!

Another one I just came across from someone else is potentially having to change the wiper arms as well... I am a bit disappointed by this since it seems to grow into something much bigger than anticipated... 

No, that isn’t the case. As long as the steering wheel you’re fitting matches your existing steering wheel in terms of the MFSW buttons then all features will work as they should. You should need to make sure you get the right buttons for your wheel.

2 hours ago, Inex said:

Thanks for confirming!

Where did you get that info from?

If it was a VW page that would be more plausible as the acc controls are on the wheel, and they possibly moved to a stalk version 

I got the initial tip from a danish page:

https://vagcars.dk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=120516&start=210#p1474985

And then someone I asked if they can help with coding (who has done them a few times) pointed towards the same issue...

Not sure what to believe now because all these posts point to Octavias being updated to this, not Superbs. As you said, I don't have any front assist or ACC controls on the stalks... and I have 3 of them.

7 hours ago, Inex said:

As you said, I don't have any front assist or ACC controls on the stalks... and I have 3 of them.

Actually, the 3rd smaller Cruze control stalk has can adjust the ACC distance... Would this be impacted by the change? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/08/2023 at 19:35, Purpletom said:

- Fit the power feed and earth of the Kufatec loom to the fusebox and surrounding area according to their instructions
(if building your own loom, you can use fuse position SC24 or any along the same row - they are a terminal 30 feed)

The fuse you connected to - is it permanently fed or is it only when switched on?

I've been planning on using fuse number 2 which is the factory fuse for heated steering wheel but that slot is empty on my car... no power there... However, I did find from an owner who has this factory fitted that they use a 10A fuse.

Now I'm considering using slot 47 (which is normally used for the rear window wiper - my car does not have one). This seems to be supplied only when ignition is on. 

Additionally, the fuse normally used for the reverse wiper is 15A so this way  can confirm the wiring between the battery and the fusebox on port 47 is thick enough for the 10A heated steering wheel.

Does that make sense?

Edited by Inex

56 minutes ago, Inex said:

The fuse you connected to - is it permanently fed or is it only when switched on?

I've…wheel.

Does that make sense?

It does make sense. If you look at an MQB fusebox (I bought one from a breaker just to get an idea of how they work) you’ll see they work in essentially the same way as even the CE2 fusebox on earliere VAG stuff (mk2/3 Golf, Corrado etc) in that they have several large common feeds going into them - those feeds being permanent live and ignition live - and then different fuse terminals receive whatever power is required. 

To answer your question directly - I used an ignition live feed (terminal 30) with a 10A fuse. I didn’t use a fusetap, I don’t really like using them for anything other than a semi-permanent consumer like a dashcam.

• Like 1

Thanks! That's how the kufatec power feed is meant to be installed. Do they just push in from the back? Feels like it's quite a tight area to push something from the back.

Yes, and that’s how I did it with the loom I built. It is tight but it’s easy enough to unclip the fuse box and pull it away from the bulkhead a bit.

A tip to help find the right slot for the feed wire is to push a cable tie/zip tie through from the front of the fuse box in the correct fuse slot then use that to help you push the feed wire into place. 

• Love it! 1

I'm reading through Kufatec's instructions on how to connect and I find steps 5 through 6 quite weird... It does not really match with the loom...

Anyways, they do mention something about the ACC potentially complaining. If that is the case, I'm not sure I really understand what cable to move from pin 8 to 11. I sure hope it's not an airbag cable they are talking about...

PXL_20240215_195154278.MP.jpg

PXL_20240215_195343595.MP.jpg

So they basically want you to splice into a terminal 30 wire behind the fuse box somewhere with the short bit of wire and then utilise fuse position 2 because they assume that is a completely empty fuse position. I did it differently where I just found an empty terminal 30 bus on the fuse box and tapped into that.

It won’t be an airbag cable - it’ll be for something else - probably CAN or LIN related. Once you get the airbag off (if you haven’t already) you’ll see that all connections go through the big yellow plug.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great write. Will consider this in the future.

Just installing heated seats in my Vrs at the moment. Random question, the display you get on the infotainment showing the seat heating level and steering wheel level.

Screenshot_20240303_204848_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.995f6fe7466b51bdf0f33a3655568443.jpg

Did it display the heated seat level before you installed the wheel. 

Just asking as, I installed my new Control panel and originally had them come up, but now they have gone again and I don't know of it's just cos I clicked heated wheel not installed. I've coded both ways with no change. 

Can't seem to get it to display anymore. The normal heated seat buttons light up fine, just not on the infotainment screen

Edited by STU3Y

21 minutes ago, STU3Y said:

This is a great write. Will consider this in the future.

Just installing heated seats in my Vrs at the moment. Random question, the display you get on the infotainment showing the seat heating level and steering wheel level.

Screenshot_20240303_204848_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.995f6fe7466b51bdf0f33a3655568443.jpg

Did it display the heated seat level before you installed the wheel. 

Just asking as, I installed my new Control panel and originally had them come up, but now they have gone again and I don't know of it's just cos I clicked heated wheel not installed. I've coded both ways with no change. 

Can't seem to get it to display anymore. The normal heated seat buttons light up fine, just not on the infotainment screen

To get it to display on the dash you need to enable heated steering wheel AND multi-stage heating

7 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

To get it to display on the dash you need to enable heated steering wheel AND multi-stage heating

Hi,

So without heated steering wheel, the heated seat level doesn't display on the infotainment screen. Is that correct