How To: Retrofit a heated steering wheel to a mk3 Octavia

Purpletom

2 minutes ago, STU3Y said:

Hi,

So without heated steering wheel, the heated seat level doesn't display on the infotainment screen. Is that correct

Spot on :)

6 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Ah OK. Seems wierd only to display it that way, and even more wierd I couldn't get it back in eveb when i coded the steering wheel and multi stage. Will try again and see if it works. I don't need as don't have heated wheel, but just bugged me as it was there and then went. 

14 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Just coded, heated wheel and multi stage again. Hard reset mib and still doesn't display anything. Any ideas?

21 minutes ago, STU3Y said:

Hi,

So without heated steering wheel, the heated seat level doesn't display on the infotainment screen. Is that correct

It does display if it's coded. I coded mine in a few days before I had good enough weather to fit the wheel.

Can someone share their coding then, as not sure what's going on with mine. Was displayed originally but not any more 

7 minutes ago, Inex said:

It does display if it's coded. I coded mine in a few days before I had good enough weather to fit the wheel.

Did you code in the wheel though or just heated seats. 

What ApertureS was saying is, if i just have seata coded then it won't display the seat level on infotainment. 

However if code heated wheel as well as seats then it will display both on infotainment.

I had it displaying but had an issue with my control panel. When the sync button was pressed, both temps were being operated by passenger dial and not drivers. I tried changing it from left to right hand drove. Didn't do anything. 

Plugged my old unit back in and coded RHD again, then randomly when plugged new panel back in sync was correct. But it was after this i noticed the levels had gone from infotainment. 

20 minutes ago, STU3Y said:

Did you code in the wheel though or just heated seats. 

What ApertureS was saying is, if i just have seata coded then it won't display the seat level on infotainment. 

However if code heated wheel as well as seats then it will display both on infotainment.

I had it displaying but had an issue with my control panel. When the sync button was pressed, both temps were being operated by passenger dial and not drivers. I tried changing it from left to right hand drove. Didn't do anything. 

Plugged my old unit back in and coded RHD again, then randomly when plugged new panel back in sync was correct. But it was after this i noticed the levels had gone from infotainment. 

Post your part numbers and coding for 08 HVAC

So went out this morning and it was now coded again, and as you say it it showing in the diaplay when press heated seat. 

Coded it back out and on again. Turned out just needed a couple of minutes with ignition off before coding took place.

But you were correct, only shows heated seat levels when steering wheel coded too.

Thanks for the help. At least now I can accept that's just the way it is and there is nothing wrong. 

Another random thing i noticed, the heated rear screen button only work with engine running. Is that normal?

• 2 weeks later...

Been scanning the web for a heated wheel. They are so expensive, not many available and most asking 400-500 just for the wheel. Really annoying as the mk4 heated wheel chair be picked up for a little as 150 quid.

Edited by STU3Y

Hey guys. I have now fitted my heated seats and they are working great. Very hot.

Now looking at this as my next upgrade. 

I am little confused as the original thread suggests using 5q0953549B or the new version ending in D.

Then later in the thread people suggest C.

I have all 2017 Vrs 230 Fl.

So a few questions:

1. Which one is the one I need, as the prices do seem to vary.

2. Are they nterchangeable between brands. I.e skoda, vw etc. As there are a few available for golf's that are a lot cheaper. 

3. Do you actually have to splice into any original looms? As I am not too keen on that

4. Anyone know of a flat bottom vrs heated wheel at a good price?

Posted (edited)

1. 549D is working fine on my 2017 FL 245 and has done since I fitted it and wrote the thread last year. 

2. If the part number is matching then it should be fine.

3. Nope, just fit as per the guide.

4. Manual or DSG? If manual, then no, they don’t exist as far as I can tell, certainly not in mk3 style anyway. Flat bottomed heated DSG wheels do, but they’re few and far between. Mk4 wheels are a straight fit but require extra expense on a LIN convertor to get them working properly. 

Edited by Purpletom

On 16/12/2023 at 20:27, Krywan2494 said:

Thanks for response, clockspring is new from aliexpress, steering wheel is used from octavia FL 2019. In measure value temperature of steering wheel is usualy 12-13 degrees Celsius.

Did you use the ali express clock ring in the end. If so do you have a link and is it still working?

On 23/01/2024 at 08:28, Krywan2494 said:

Hi, I have octavia 2014, and clockspring kostal-5q0953549, so I have to change clockspring to 5q0953549d. I updated cangateway - module 19.

What exactly did you change?

22 hours ago, Purpletom said:

1. 549D is working fine on my 2017 FL 245 and has done since I fitted it and wrote the thread last year. 

2. If the part number is matching then it should be fine.

3. Nope, just fit as per the guide.

4. Manual or DSG? If manual, then no, they don’t exist as far as I can tell, certainly not in mk3 style anyway. Flat bottomed heated DSG wheels do, but they’re few and far between. Mk4 wheels are a straight fit but require extra expense on a LIN convertor to get them working properly. 

Part number for the golf is 5q1 953 539d. I assume the variation is just cos it's a Vw.

Only asked about the splicing as part of the thread shows the kufatec loom needing splicing. 

I would love a Mk4 one as can get one for about 100 quid. Just don't know how or what else is required as the only thread I've seen is the Russian guy

I have a manual vrs. 

37 minutes ago, STU3Y said:

Part number for the golf is 5q1 953 539d. I assume the variation is just cos it's a Vw.

Only asked about the splicing as part of the thread shows the kufatec loom needing splicing. 

I would love a Mk4 one as can get one for about 100 quid. Just don't know how or what else is required as the only thread I've seen is the Russian guy

I have a manual vrs. 

Most feedback I got from people is the MK4 is harder to code right and requires another 200 eur LIN adapter of some sort... Not worth the expense and greater risk of not fitting... I highly recommend picking something of the same generation as your car and figure out from people that already have it, what part numbers they have in the slip rings.

I’ve now fitted a mk4 vRS wheel to mine. There is no extra coding required but you will need a LIN convertor to make the buttons work properly - about £200. 

Personally I think it’s a really nice wheel and a nice change from the mk3 wheel BUT it isn’t much cheaper once you factor in the airbag and LIN convertor. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Purpletom said:

I’ve now fitted a mk4 vRS wheel to mine. There is no extra coding required but you will need a LIN convertor to make the buttons work properly - about £200. 

Personally I think it’s a really nice wheel and a nice change from the mk3 wheel BUT it isn’t much cheaper once you factor in the airbag and LIN convertor. 

Can you provide a list of part numbers and links?

The steering wheel I used - manual, red stitching, heated - was: 5E3 959 542 G

The airbag was: 5E3 880 201 S

A link to the LIN convertor I used:

LIN Adaptor

Here it is fitted:

IMG_4689.thumb.jpeg.fdcc242485cde9498a01a673bf99c197.jpeg

Thanks

9 hours ago, Purpletom said:

The steering wheel I used - manual, red stitching, heated - was: 5E3 959 542 G

The airbag was: 5E3 880 201 S

A link to the LIN convertor I used:

LIN Adaptor

Here it is fitted:

IMG_4689.thumb.jpeg.fdcc242485cde9498a01a673bf99c197.jpeg

Thanks

Don’t forget the heated steering wheel button located on the wheel is defunc and will not work.

also if you get a wheel with the travel assist button, this also will not work

Yes, forgot that. The heating button on the wheel does not work but I just link mine to the seat heating and also have it switching on automatically  when the outside temp is 4 degrees or below. 

I don’t have adaptive cruise but the lane assist button works as it should 👍🏻

Nice, thank you.

Do any of the other buttons not work?

I don't have ACC either.

I am just trying to find the cheapest way to do it as its obviously an expensive mod. 

But I am torn, as I really want to retain the flat bottom and vrs style leather. But not sure what will bother me most, the round wheel but works perfectly or flat wheel but inoperative buttons 🤔 

Edited by STU3Y

You don't have to give up the flat bottom for this to work. There is a flat bottom version for the 3rd gen which works absolutely fine. Find my post somewhere on last months activity for the part number. It cost 720 eur but then again, nobody said this will be a cheap mod ✌️ good to hear the 4th gen also works but I am not a fan of mods that work only partly. Purpletom and Apretature's feedback on the topic was really helpful 💪

• Like 1

Nope, just the button to switch on the heat and the ACC button. The rest work fine but you do need that LIN adaptor otherwise the buttons on the right don’t function properly through the menus on the dash. 

It’s very subjective but I tried the round mk3 wheel and wasn’t a big fan, especially after the retrim as it ended up a bit too thick for my liking.

The other option for you would be to find a DSG wheel then remove the DSG paddles and make some sort of cover for where they mount. I wondered about doing that and then 3D printing some covers that clip into place. 

Quite a few options really, but none of it is 100% straightforward.