What fuel consumption are you getting please.

I am currently driving a Superb Mk2 2.0 TDi Elegance which averages about 45mpg overall. I am in the market for a MK3  2.0 Superb petrol or diesel hatch or estate but not the 150 hp models.  What sort of fuel consumption are you getting from your cars please.

Superb 1.4tsi ACT SEL exec Hatchback 6 speed manual

To Heathrow and back. Done this a few times with similar figures always reported.

816754910_Screenshot_20230808-1551582.png.a22466415dc355d98c016d27040e301a.png

Son recently drove it non stop from north of Manchester to Hamburg via Dunkirk snatching a couple of hours sleep waiting for and on ferry on one tank of supermarket 95 petrol. Never brimmed, always only filled to 1st click (to avoid ruining the EVAP system)

Distance travelled 815 miles on the tripmeter he said. Travelling at legal limit plus perhaps a bit more.

Also confirmed he cruised at 216 kph in Germany on several occasions, where ot was allowed. Something I don't approve of. Don't know if that was car speedo or google maps speed. Did however confirm it was in 6th gear

I am inclined to think our car has a 72 or 75 litre tank rather than the 66 litre standard, something I discussed on another thread in the distant past.

• Like 1

We've got a 2016 mk3 Superb Estate 2.0 TDI 190 manual and we're based in UK (so the MPG figures quoted below are for UK now US gallons!)...

Our long term average is 49 MPG based on a mix of motorway & town driving.

I've seen 60+ MPG on motorway runs which I think is fantastic for such a big car.

Our recent family holiday with 5 people + luggage, with the air conditioning switched on etc... we averaged about 52-53 MPG over 400 ish miles.

I only fill up with Shell V Power Diesel which may/may not make any difference to the figures.

I've got a 2016 150 tdi estate. Averages about 50mpg on local journeys and about 60mpg on motorway etc. These are calculated figures rather than relying on what the computer says :)

@xman that's amazing stuff. I do think the car's fuel tank is about 70L in reality when filled to first click. I have once filled up at 69L to first click and it wasn't even on fumes. 

I got 40mpg in my 280 on my way down to the Nurburgring from South London recently via dover-dunkirk ferry. Only 78km/h average speed with a few blasts of unrestricted autobahn. Your 56mph average and 59mpg is absolutely fabulous. 

IMG_20230728_164049.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coled said:

I am in the market for a MK3  2.0 Superb petrol or diesel hatch or estate but not the 150 hp models.

Any particular reason why you don't want the 150 hp models?

49 minutes ago, KeteCantek said:

I got 40mpg

doesn't look as correct calculation

280ps 2023 numbers

l/100km MPG.uk
12,7 22,3
17,8 15,9
15,9 17,8
9,9 28,6
9,4 30,0
16,2 17,4
8,7 32,6
12,3 22,9
9,6 29,3
15,9 17,8
8,5 33,4
8,1 34,7
9,3 30,3
8,7 32,6
14,3 19,8
8,5 33,2

Been driving a 170 bhp diesel Superb for about 7 years now , so wouldn't want a lower horsed  engine through choice. Trying to see the difference between the two fuels. 

9 minutes ago, KeteCantek said:

14km/L

ah, I read 14 L instead km

anyway, can't believe your's 40mpg :)

the best, 34.7, i have seen,

were after boring 3h 95kmh 60%, 75kmh 40% with almost none overtake

42 minutes ago, Coled said:

Been driving a 170 bhp diesel Superb for about 7 years now , so wouldn't want a lower horsed  engine through choice. Trying to see the difference between the two fuels. 

Remember the mk3 Superb weighs less than the mk2 and as a result the 150 is pretty much the equivalent of the older 170, and if the mpg is a concern (hence the reason for your post?) then the 150 is definitely the one to go for. I certainly wouldn't discount it until you've tried it, technology has moved on since your mk2 was produced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartiniB said:

ah, I read 14 L instead km

anyway, can't believe your's 40mpg :)

the best, 34.7, i have seen,

were after boring 3h 95kmh 60%, 75kmh 40% with almost none overtake

I took it easy from London to Dover. And there was a long stretch of 50mph limit. 

On my way to the Nurburging, I did a detour to Cologne. All the way there plenty of roadworks so it kept average speed down. Final bit before Nurburgring it's pretty much 70km/h to 100km/h limits on A roads. 

Your 34.7mpg... Is it UK mpg or US? Let's stick to km/L or L/100km. I live in the UK but MPG is just daft😂😂😂

I've just got 899.5 before passing a regular BP station ( with the range saying 15miles left) on a full tank of BP diesel.

My car is a 2017 190 6 speed manual hatchback L&K.

It Absolutely blows my previous car ( Audi A6 ) away on economy.

• Like 1

What consumption did you get on the warm laps of the Nurburgring?

I did 12 hot laps of the Circuit de Croix en Ternois in my MK1 Octavia with 3 passengers showing them the lines and the techniques to maximise the hairpins and the consumption was 19mpg.

That circuit was full throttle acceleration or maximum braking, pretty much nothing between the two.

Mine is a 2.0TDI 200 4x4 Estate

Since I have started measuring in January the mpgs for each tank are as follows:

These are measured using fuel used against distance not trip computer readout (which is a little more optimistic).

Mostly motorway miles where I take it slow - 60-65 mph normally but does include two trips to Germany when I generally cruise at 105-110mph.

FWIW I managed 78mpg (trip computer readout) on my way home from work once (just over 30 miles mostly on motorway) which I was pretty impressed by and 70-75mpg on the same run is quite common too.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, J.R. said:

What consumption did you get on the warm laps of the Nurburgring?

I did 12 hot laps of the Circuit de Croix en Ternois in my MK1 Octavia with 3 passengers showing them the lines and the techniques to maximise the hairpins and the consumption was 19mpg.

That circuit was full throttle acceleration or maximum braking, pretty much nothing between the two.

Only remembered to check that once and it's 6.6km/l which is pretty much 19mpg. 

• Like 1

Thank you very much people for your thoughts. Shall have to try out a 150 bhp and 190bhp model. My Superb mk2 170 tdi averages 45mpg. Lots to mull over.

Remember the main contributor to fuel economy is the driver.

Whilst some may be able to achieve impressive figures you should have an idea what kind of driver you are & your typical usage.

45mpg from a 2L tdi would seem around the average. I would be expecting >50mpg from any kind of diesel.

Are there any fuel logging websites around these days like Fuelly? 

This was useful when I got my Octavia as you could see the logged data of multiple users filtered by car/engine/body style/transmission etc

• Like 1

Agree. Being 2.0 diesels, 150 or 190 should not make much difference with normal driving. Power is made by burning fuel. There is no magic involved, more power means more fuel and increased combustion losses. With normal driving, you aren't using anywhere near 150 or 190hp. They'll be much the same. 

It'll be different if one is a smaller capacity engine which generally means it has less friction and inertia losses. But even then it could be marginal depending on situation and engine design. 

If they are the same price or close, I'd just get the 190 tbh. You have more power when required. 

That said having owned an Audi A6 and 2 suprbs one being a 61 plate and now a 17 plate i have to say Skoda for me are going from strength to strength ...I am now looking at a 23 plate next year after the launch of the new ones that should see prices drop and hopefully some good deals.