Go for the less km older or high km newer - Superb/Octavia

Newton_Durham

Hi everyone,

the Missues has finally caved and is letting me get a Skoda but I'm wanting some advice from those that have owned one of these machines. My experience is of them as a taxi when I lived in the NE England some 13 years ago.

I've seen advertised (not gone to look yet as one is a distance away) a 2010 V6 Superb hatch with 176k km's on the clock or a 2015 Octavia RS wagon with 295k km's on the clock. Both priced the same.

Should I be scared by the high mileage on the RS? I'm sorta gravitating to it as it's a wagon but do the Superb's have a 'trick' tailgate that can open 2 different ways? Also the space in the back seat makes me want the Superb!

I'm after something fun to drive even on the daily commute. Have a 2015 Mazda 6 currently and it's boring as hell to drive and sounds horrible. I'm used to driving Holden Commodores and my last car was an A45

Any advice is really appreciated!

3 minutes ago, toot said:

Welcome.

Where would the fun be coming from driving a Superb even with a V6 engine?

Hence me asking - In my head mostly because of the power between the 2 of them and the awd system

• Administrators

I think a V anything is nicer than 3,4 in-line. 5 pots might be an exception.

the superb is a nicer place to be.

both are in the range for repair and maintenance works. Arguably the Octavia has gone through its worst. Depending on your commute, be wary of diesel with dpf filters. To short a journey and they begin to cause problems.

I suspect Australia given the Holden comment ;)… good roads till they are not from what I’ve seen on telly programs. Is awd a need?  I like it here mostly for damp/wet but don’t *need* it for 10 months of the year.

The superb will drag its heels and use more fuel to boot. Very roughly the “awd” steals 20% in trans losses. Plus weight. Mine also wears out rear pads more than fronts, stability control ;)

I do enjoy driving my superb around A and B roads. But really it’s a mile muncher on motorways. The Octavia is a better b road package. Hence my rear pads get chewed as the computer does it’s thing on b roads.

Neither are fantastic, youth defining fun. Bit of power to overtake. Don’t stir the soul like a three/two door might.

however they have a fab boot. The superb trumps the octy. Unless you need the estate format. The superb in that gen goes indeed have the “twin” boot. Looks like a saloon but it is both. I used it occasionally.

I’d prefer an estate. However have had two superb hatches and coped. 

Hope that helps.

Go on condition and service records.  If the lower mileage one is a dented, smelly rustbucket and has yet to have a service, you're probably better off with the higher mileage one, and vice versa.

I've had a 2005 V6TDI Superb (Saloon), and a 2015 vRS (Estate).  The Superb is really spacious, comfortable, and wafts along effortlessly.  The vRS was certainly more fun, a bit more sporty/nimble, and had the versatility that comes with being an estate.  I'd have either again without hesitation.

Like Colin, I prefer an estate.  I've needed the versatility far more often than I've needed to waft along in comfort.

Gaz

On 17/08/2023 at 06:53, Newton_Durham said:

Hi everyone,

the Missues has finally caved and is letting me get a Skoda but I'm wanting some advice from those that have owned one of these machines. My experience is of them as a taxi when I lived in the NE England some 13 years ago.

I've seen advertised (not gone to look yet as one is a distance away) a 2010 V6 Superb hatch with 176k km's on the clock or a 2015 Octavia RS wagon with 295k km's on the clock. Both priced the same.

Should I be scared by the high mileage on the RS? I'm sorta gravitating to it as it's a wagon but do the Superb's have a 'trick' tailgate that can open 2 different ways? Also the space in the back seat makes me want the Superb!

I'm after something fun to drive even on the daily commute. Have a 2015 Mazda 6 currently and it's boring as hell to drive and sounds horrible. I'm used to driving Holden Commodores and my last car was an A45

Any advice is really appreciated!

My gut feeling is that the Octavia would be the better choice of the two of them, simply because any repair bills are unlikely to be catastrophic compared to the issues getting the V6 sorted, regarding cost & parts availability.

The prospect of buying an 8YO 180K+ mile RS would give me the willies, unless it was very cheap, but if you want fun, the RS is the one to go for.

• Like 1