How To: Heated Windscreen Retrofit

ApertureS

• 5 months later...

Excellent tutorial well done

Thanks to your guide I managed to fit the screen to my VW Touran. Being part of the VAG group the installation is very similar.

The only differences for VW to your instructions are as follows:

1. Climatronic control panel does not need to be replaced. VW don't have a dedicated physical button sadly and only the infotainment screen can turn it on/off. Simply coding as per your instructions works fine.

The wiring diagram for VW is simpler. No fuse in the interior car fuse box. There are 3 fuses to be installed in the engine fuse box only with two relays. The BCM wire at T46 still remains the same.

Coding and everything else remains identical. So thanks for helping a VW user out here too!

PS- I've also retrofitted the ADAS camera. It's the same for Skoda so if you need any help let me know.

All the best

• Thanks 1

On 10/02/2022 at 20:38, Matt0020190 said:

Excellent tutorial well done

Thanks to your guide I managed to fit the screen to my VW Touran. Being part of the VAG group the installation is very similar.

The only differences for VW to your instructions are as follows:

1. Climatronic control panel does not need to be replaced. VW don't have a dedicated physical button sadly and only the infotainment screen can turn it on/off. Simply coding as per your instructions works fine.

The wiring diagram for VW is simpler. No fuse in the interior car fuse box. There are 3 fuses to be installed in the engine fuse box only with two relays. The BCM wire at T46 still remains the same.

Coding and everything else remains identical. So thanks for helping a VW user out here too!

PS- I've also retrofitted the ADAS camera. It's the same for Skoda so if you need any help let me know.

All the best

Youre very welcome, glad it came in handy. 

Ther superb is i believe the only model to have a single relay and a back and forward trigger for it.... everything else including the octavia uses 2 relays under the bonnet and a single wire from inside the car, not 2. That being said, for simplicity you could very easily just take a feed from the front fuse box instead of the interior fuse box. 

ADAS was retrofitted quite a while ago in mine but thanks for the offer. 

4 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Youre very welcome, glad it came in handy. 

Ther superb is i believe the only model to have a single relay and a back and forward trigger for it.... everything else including the octavia uses 2 relays under the bonnet and a single wire from inside the car, not 2. That being said, for simplicity you could very easily just take a feed from the front fuse box instead of the interior fuse box. 

ADAS was retrofitted quite a while ago in mine but thanks for the offer. 

Great stuff!

How do you find the heated screen? Worth the money? Probably cost me about £175 to fit including windscreen excess. I've yet to test it as I've had no frosty mornings!

Does it clear quickly?

I've also changed the adaptation in the module for "Windscreen heating on MAX defrost". In theory when you press the MAX defrost button the windscreen heater is supposed to come on too. Have you seen similar?

The only indication I have at the moment my work is working is there is a slight rev drop when pressing the button. I don't hear any relay click but I guess the engine drowns that out.

Let me know if you don't mind. Thanks again

16 minutes ago, Matt0020190 said:

Great stuff!

How do you find the heated screen? Worth the money? Probably cost me about £175 to fit including windscreen excess. I've yet to test it as I've had no frosty mornings!

Does it clear quickly?

I've also changed the adaptation in the module for "Windscreen heating on MAX defrost". In theory when you press the MAX defrost button the windscreen heater is supposed to come on too. Have you seen similar?

The only indication I have at the moment my work is working is there is a slight rev drop when pressing the button. I don't hear any relay click but I guess the engine drowns that out.

Let me know if you don't mind. Thanks again

A fully frosted and solid with ice windscreen will be wipable with the wiper blades in about 3-5 minutes roughly. Also stops any condensation build up on the inside. I get in the car, switch the heated screen, seats and mirrors on and by the time ive set the nav and picked a song its almost ready to go. Would love the heated steering wheel next though. 

• Administrators

I use the heated steering wheel far more than I should. Poor circulation.

I don’t mind scraping the windscreen, it is heated but I forget more than I remember.

the heated wheel though, just perfect  for cold or slight wet days :)

so get it done ;) not that I know how. 

11 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

A fully frosted and solid with ice windscreen will be wipable with the wiper blades in about 3-5 minutes roughly. Also stops any condensation build up on the inside. I get in the car, switch the heated screen, seats and mirrors on and by the time ive set the nav and picked a song its almost ready to go. Would love the heated steering wheel next though. 

Cheers for that sounds good

I've done the steering wheel also. Wasn't too hard at all. Main challenge was changing my clockspring to support the heated wheel. Other than that the rest was straightforward.

That's cool too as all I do is tap the heated seat button and the wheel comes on too. Even better if the outside temperature is less than 3 degrees, it turns on automatically also

57 minutes ago, Matt0020190 said:

Probably cost me about £175 to fit including windscreen excess.

So you scammed your insurers?

• Confused 1

Do you mean that the excess which you paid was for the difference in price between the replacement cost of your cracked non heated screen and a heated one?

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your excellect guide! I am potentially looking at getting this done once I find a windshield I can take off a breakers yard. Maybe for my wifes Golf too as it tends to have alot of condensation!

Both you and Matt0020190 mentioned coding for other units, but nothing for the radio? Does the heated windshield button appear in the air conditioning settings once you retrofit it with no extra coding?

Thank you again!

57 minutes ago, SuperSK said:

Thank you for your excellect guide! I am potentially looking at getting this done once I find a windshield I can take off a breakers yard. Maybe for my wifes Golf too as it tends to have alot of condensation!

Both you and Matt0020190 mentioned coding for other units, but nothing for the radio? Does the heated windshield button appear in the air conditioning settings once you retrofit it with no extra coding?

Thank you again!

Exactly yes, the only 2 modules effected are the HVAC and Central Electronics. The 5F radio will display the button automatically.

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Agustnr said:

Sorry for bumping this and asking a stupid question, but should you ideally do the wiring prior to the windscreen fitting or it doesn't matter?

Either way round is fine. Just isolate any open connectors from the elements 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, M17HSN said:

Hi ApertureS would you know the items needed for a passat b8 and the costs involved?

They won’t be too far different, if you wanted to let me know your registration I can work it out.

When you say costs, did you mean you want the price for it fitted? 

hi ApertureS

I'm not that familiar with mechanics\electrics etc so it's either sourcing someone in Lancashire to fit everything or finding someone who can fit it.  I would be grateful if you can fit it then give me a price, if not then if you can give me a price for the components.  The reg number MD68TYV

1 hour ago, M17HSN said:

hi ApertureS

I'm not that familiar with mechanics\electrics etc so it's either sourcing someone in Lancashire to fit everything or finding someone who can fit it.  I would be grateful if you can fit it then give me a price, if not then if you can give me a price for the components.  The reg number MD68TYV

For your car:

3G0845011ACNVB - heated glass, without lane assist camera - retails roughly £1000

3G0845011BBNVB - heated glass with lane assist camera prep - retails roughly £900

(Weird how the lane prep glass is cheaper)

This is the prices for genuine glass, of course aftermarket glass is also a cheaper option and you have the choice of with/without lane assist prep which can also be retrofitted at the same time if not already fitted.

If you wanted to discuss it being fitted any further please drop me a message on my signature below or private message me :) if you wanted to consider doing it yourself please continue to ask questions here as it can assist others too 

thanks