Still 13 years to save up for a new petrol/diesel

Sad555

Probably good for me as I generally keep my cars for a good ten years or so until they're about 13 to 14 years old...   so changing in 2032 or thereabouts will mean the last of the ICE-based cars / hybrids wouldl still be available if I chose to go that way rather than EV.

Personally I don't think the final end date will make much of a difference as the market will change regardless.

• Like 3

2035 is the new date today but we all know it might change again as the date was unrealistic n the beginning but I’m wondering if this could lead to a reduction in prices of ICE car 🚘 n the future,one can dream😎

Edited by Sad555

Well apparently even a lot of tory Peers, MPs and ex ministers aren't happy either.

Polling I saw on Channel 4 News suggests this roll back isn't going to be the vote winner they think it is. I agree. We need an election now. 

Businesses don't seem happy either. They want certainty and there's been none of that since 2016.

Sunak's just a quockerwodger bought and paid for by energy companies amongst others and they want a return.

• Groan 1

1 hour ago, @Lee said:

Well apparently even a lot of tory Peers, MPs and ex ministers aren't happy either.

Polling I saw on Channel 4 News suggests this roll back isn't going to be the vote winner they think it is. I agree. We need an election now. 

Businesses don't seem happy either. They want certainty and there's been none of that since 2016.

Sunak's just a quockerwodger bought and paid for by energy companies amongst others and they want a return.

So regardless of the above...   is the change to 2035 good or bad for people?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, skomaz said:

So regardless of the above...   is the change to 2035 good or bad for people?

Good for those that will be making money from it. Bad for the rest of us. There's many on here who won't be affected anyway as they may not be around in thirteen years.

Tory peer Lord Deben aka John Selwyn Gummer wrote to Sunak in June. PDF below.

1_oC_nqpmMDs5_Blw8WgasRQ.webp.af0c6e0727c709ed411df661a8ec3202.webp

230628-LD-PM.pdf 

Edited by @Lee

1 hour ago, Sad555 said:

Let’s keep on topic and off politics please🤫

Good luck with your cat herding, @Sad555. 😊

To answer your question posed by the thread, I'm not convinced it's something Sunak had to do.

It's set the media on him, who are all in lock-step on message with what has evolved into the UN's "global boiling" narrative.

(Even Zelenskyy has bravely taken time to chime-in about the perils of the climate change, which seems to be all Russia's fault now.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-09/zelenskyy-blames-russia-cop27-climate-change/101631956 )

It's irked the motor companies who have just about got up to speed with the politicians' demands to transition production from ICE to EVs, and having moved the goalposts one way, they've now moved them back the other way a bit. 😄

The climate deniers are thoroughly unimpressed, while the climate alarmists are gnashing their teeth at the prospect of the world boiling/choking/submerging (delete as appropriate) before the great Satan AKA the ICE vehicle can be vanquished.

I dare say it's ticked-off a few people who ditched ICE in favour of an EV five years earlier than they had to.

It's probably given the Chinese and Indian governments a good laugh, though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, @Lee said:

I think there should be a prize for the first to spot the obligatory Brexit reference from Lee in a thread. 🏆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sad555 said:

Let’s keep on topic and off politics please🤫

Ok, explain how the date for banning sales of new ICE vehicles in not a political issue. When answering, explain how the UK and Scottish Green Parties are not political organisations.

• Confused 1

I started the topic to see how it might effect people’s view on changing their petrol/diesel vehicles in the coming years,,,,,,,,,that’s all ,no political thoughts or intentions,so nothing to explain.so if some people feel the need to discuss the political aspect feel free to start your own thread please.

• Like 1

If people change their vehicles in the coming years you'll buy whatever the car makers are selling that's in your budget simple as that. Car makers are moving away from ICE production already. Hell, even the Ford Mustang is on it's way out as an ICE vehicle. Euro7 on its way. 

I'll be getting a new car at some point soon  either petrol, hybrid or full EV I'm not sure what yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, @Lee said:

Good for those that will be making money from it. Bad for the rest of us. There's many on here who won't be affected anyway as they may not be around in thirteen years.

Ta for the answer...   That was the only part that was necessary as a response to the OPs question. 👍

• Love it! 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, EnterName said:

I think there should be a prize for the first to spot the obligatory Brexit reference from Lee in a thread. 🏆

Why is a prize needed. It's not as if I hide anything is it. 

Perhaps you should consider awarding a prize for the person who first spots my brexit related post without mentioning it specifically.

I've made a few and people haven't even cottoned on. Sometimes a sledgehammer, sometimes a pugil stick wrapped in cotton wool.

Edited by @Lee

3 hours ago, @Lee said:

Perhaps you should consider awarding a prize for the person who first spots my brexit related post without mentioning it specifically.

That would be me. provided we read the quote as "...WrecksIt related post without" caring enough to say I spotted it.

4 hours ago, @Lee said:

Why is a prize needed. It's not as if I hide anything is it. 

I've made a few and people haven't even cottoned on. Sometimes a sledgehammer, sometimes a pugil stick wrapped in cotton wool.

I think the issues we face in Europe are more complex than the <one enemy fits all> approach to solving them is helpful in dealing with them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sad555 said:

I started the topic to see how it might effect people’s view on changing their petrol/diesel vehicles in the coming years,,,,,,,,,that’s all ,no political thoughts or intentions,so nothing to explain.so if some people feel the need to discuss the political aspect feel free to start your own thread please.

As Lee and I have pointed out previously, it's really hard to keep politics out of any issue.

Mainly because it's really hard to keep politicians (and political activists) out of any issue.