Socket to me

Aspman

I occasionally run into a need for a socket set which is one set of tools I don't have. Agian I've encountered a rare task that I can't bodge with a spanner or pliers.
I'd rather not pay a fortune and socket sets are expensive but can anyone recommend a source for a decent very basic set?

I probably only need 12/13/14 sockets tbh.

Lidl or Aldi's socket sets are perfect for the hobbyist/ occasional user. Never had a problem with either of there's.

@Aspman I should add; I usually go for single hex sockets rather than double hex - less chance of slippage IME.

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 2

With those size of sockets, you probably only need a 3/8 drive set.

I've a 1/2" Draper set that's 40 years old and still going strong. Can't say as much for the tin case it came in.

I prefer chrome vanadium as you're (I'm) less likely to pop the smaller sockets when putting them under duress.  Something like this would be my choice:

https://www.toolstation.com/draper-38-inch-socket-set/p26034?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=_dc&pcrid=&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAjwgsqoBhBNEiwAwe5w0_AT-kVKoZibW99OEg_iI1z2GGHz7EvU-v6Bm0I3B5H9sPkuA3m0OxoCSb0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 2

Another vote for the Draper Expert range, great value and should last a lifetime for the hobbyist.
Go for the 6 point socket if possible and 3/8” drive should be more than enough. 
Plenty of other good budget brands out there too, personally I like Bahco as I find them a good balance between cost and quality.

• Like 2

A basic no-name amazon set would probably be OK. I would stretch to something like Draper in your place I think.

Halfords advance/professional is a step up again but probably not worth it for you, Wera is a step up again but they are totally unnecessary in your place.

• Like 1

Bahco S138 for me, mine lives under the boot floor of the car and can do most jobs without needing any other tools.

However it seems to be twice the price now than when I bought mine.

Lee's Lidl suggestion is a good one but they have various grades on their promos and it can be a bit pot luck, this one looks very good and a good price, it looks suspiciously like Bahco especially the case (will last a lifetime) and the socket form, to complete the conspiracy Google brought it up during a search for my Bahco set:

https://www.lidl.fr/p/parkside-set-de-douilles-216-pieces/p100362289?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvPW41_TIgQMVxp9oCR1zAQAjEAQYByABEgLOafD_BwE

• Like 2

15 hours ago, J.R. said:

Lee's Lidl suggestion is a good one but they have various grades on their promos and it can be a bit pot luck, this one looks very good and a good price, it looks suspiciously like Bahco especially the case (will last a lifetime) and the socket form, to complete the conspiracy Google brought it up during a search for my Bahco set:

Yes I've also noticed that.

I think a lot of Lidl/ Parkside stuff is rebranded and actually made by other companies for them.

I have Metabo bit set that I couldn't locate one time. Lidl had a Parkside bit set in that looked almost identical right down to the little box the bits came in.

Fairly certain my Parkside torque wrench is a rebranded Clarke (or CK?) tools wrench.

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

It's only taken 6 months to follow up but I've just bought a Lidl Parkside 216 piece set . Bigger than I was planning to but...tools eh.
Got 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" (but all in metric to confuse) and plenty of sockets.
All seems solid enough to do what I need

• Like 4

Was that in store or on line?

The 216 piece set that I linked to is currently not available on line.

On 24/02/2024 at 21:28, J.R. said:

Was that in store or on line?

The 216 piece set that I linked to is currently not available on line.

It was in store. There were about 3 sets left. It was a recent offer but tbh I couldn't get a live link online either

I forgot to order online (or am I thinking of Aldi that does that?)

I'd like to say that having spend wodge on this I was indeed able to fix the job I couldn't without it and it took about 2min. I did feel immensely masculine whilst doing it. So money well spent.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Aspman said:

It was in store. There were about 3 sets left. It was a recent offer but tbh I couldn't get a live link online either

I forgot to order online (or am I thinking of Aldi that does that?)

I'd like to say that having spend wodge on this I was indeed able to fix the job I couldn't without it and it took about 2min. I did feel immensely masculine whilst doing it. So money well spent.

It's been a while but last I lived in the UK there was no online Lidl store. I know there is/ was an online Aldi store as I bought a tent on it in 2018. 

Both have online store here however.