VRS 2.0 TSI (EA888) oil consumption?

Hi all,

I cannot locate an answer to this on the forum, so at the risk of being boring can anyone tell me if 3,500 miles to a litre of oil is normal consumption for a 50,000 mile, vRS TSI 220 bhp engine?

The car is used daily in mixed driving and I use the recommended Castrol Edge 5W30 LL motor oil.

My previous car was a Mazda MX-5 which used no oil at all, so I just wondered if these TSI (EA888) engines do use a drop as normal? 

Thanks in advance,

Kev 🙂

1 hour ago, Kevin Pallett said:

My previous car was a Mazda MX-5 which used no oil at all, so I just wondered if these TSI (EA888) engines do use a drop as normal? 

Not in my albeit limited experience.  My 2015 vRS used no oil, although it was only at 25k miles when I sold it.  My current GTI (230, but also EA888 G3) also uses no oil - currently at 31k miles.

Someone else with greater knowledge than me will be able to say what Skoda/VAG consider 'acceptable' oil usage.

Gaz

• Like 1

~It is not unusual#       

Tom Jones. 

@Kevin Pallett

How long have you had the car / miles?

When serviced last or when you got it had you checked the Oil Level stone cold, and as it needs checked,  At normal Operating Temperature so up near an indicated 90*oC when stopped a few minutes and parked on the flat?

Just asking so that it is clear the oil is at Max and not low between your topping up. 

?

Used daily for how long journeys from a cold start until stopped? 

• Like 3

To the toot’s questions I would also ask, how often do you change that oil?

What is its color currently?

And did you check for leaks?

If no leaks are observed, it could be due to many things like carbon buildup, bad PCV valve, stuck or worn out oil rings.

Last but not least, try to change the oil to a bit better synthetic. Millers, Ravenol, Amsoil, RedLine, whatever you have around you on a good price..

• Like 1

My understanding is that VAG consider anything less than a litre every 1000 miles to be "normal". That's what was said to many other owners of my previous car (an RS4) when they complained of a litre every 2000 miles or so.

• Like 3

Nooo.  That is the pith take.

VW Group say for all engines for 2 decades now, 3,4,5,6,8,10,12 cylinder, 44 bhp up, petrol or diesel.

May use as much as 0.5 litre /1,000 km.      621 miles,  so a litre in 1,242 miles. 

Total pith and their get out. 

Not acceptable in the UK on normal roads in UK weather, not towing after run in if the car is in Warranty.

But some do use oil over time, and how used, and serviced & fuel / oil / plugs etc. 

Using plenty oil on High Alpine Mountain Passes in High Summer Temperatures towing something is maybe 'Normal use'  for the dudes at VW Group. 

Driving to work or just to the shops etc and they are at it.

Even used as a Taxi / Private Hire Car / Airport transport it is just a 220 ps 2.0 TSI family / sales rep size car not some highly tunes Hot Hatch.

17491109_w960_3927-184(1).webp.c1eaa0a3d0b1482be97af73e3b348b57.webp.da2d3462ae8fce287137aa17613e66ca.webp

w960_4095-227.webp

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

Muppet technician that did this ball-sup of an Oil Consumption test even thought a litre of engine oil weighs 1,000 grams. Which it does not.

The member got their new engine once this was pointed out to Skoda UK warranties.

Happened often with 1.4 TSI Twincharger Fabia Mk2,s where some at dealerships said a litre in 1,000 km was acceptable because someone told them that was the number.

post-86161-0-88215300-1481297488.jpg

• Like 1

Many thanks for all the replies and advice above 👍 🙂

To answer some questions:

1) I have had the car for 1 year and 8 months.

2) I change the oil at 12 month intervals - done at point of sale and again 12 months later.

3) I only cover around 5,000-6,000 miles per year.

4) The car performs faultlessly in all respects.

5) I'm not too concerned about the 3,500 mile per litre consumption, but just wondered what members here thought about this.

6) I am grateful for all your comments - many thanks folks! 🙂

Edited by Kevin Pallett
  • Like 3

On 14/10/2023 at 19:20, Stonekeeper said:

I am new to the forum, don't currently own a Skoda.

But in 45 years of driving and i have owned some pretty old bangers, i have never had a car that has used that much oil.

New cars use a thinner oil and run much hotter, they will burn through oil whereas older cars just used to leak it out like a sieve 😂

• Like 3

On 15/10/2023 at 09:48, Kevin Pallett said:

Many thanks for all the replies and advice above 👍 🙂

To answer some questions:

1) I have had the car for 1 year and 8 months.

2) I change the oil at 12 month intervals - done at point of sale and again 12 months later.

3) I only cover around 5,000-6,000 miles per year.

4) The car performs faultlessly in all respects.

5) I'm not too concerned about the 3,500 mile per litre consumption, but just wondered what members here thought about this.

6) I am grateful for all your comments - many thanks folks! 🙂

Yeah. Gen 3s do run hot. You may find a vw502.00 5w40 oil may use a little less than Long life 3 5w30 oils.

I'd say my golf r with an ea888 gen 3 uses about 1 litre per 5000 miles.  It's done that since I got it at 55k miles now at 76k. 

You could also replace the fine oil separator, that may help. 

So long as it is not worsening I wouldn't worry too much. Try a vw502.00 oil as well.  

Some usage is certainly not unheard of. It does also depend as @Rootedsays, how correctly filled it was following service as well as to determine the top up volume. If slightly underfilled that would be increasing your view of  recorded consumption... 

• Like 2